Jose Ruiz

ron883

Anybody know much about this guy?

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=614179#/career/R/pitching/2018/A

Stats in A+ and AA as a 23 year old this year. 

36 so, 23.1 ip, 13.9 so/ip, 7 bb, .77 whip. He has 23.1 ip in 15 appearances, so he regularly goes more than 1 inning. He is age appropriate for his level. The guy has so simply put up awesome numbers. Did the sox find a great relief prospect?

Edited by Hot FiRe

From what I remember we claimed him off waivers from the Padres. He was a catcher that couldn't hit so they tried him at pitching. He was hitting the high 90s but didn't have much feel or great control when we got him. He still was able to make the majors at one point with the Padres, but there was a ton of work to do. I think most thought he had the upside of a late inning reliever if he puts it all together. Hopefully he has. 

7 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

From what I remember we claimed him off waivers from the Padres. He was a catcher that couldn't hit so they tried him at pitching. He was hitting the high 90s but didn't have much feel or great control when we got him. He still was able to make the majors at one point with the Padres, but there was a ton of work to do. I think most thought he had the upside of a late inning reliever if he puts it all together. Hopefully he has. 

Pitched last night for Birmingham.  Looked good.  Got the win.  Control not terrible.  Aggressive with the fastball, not a lot of deception.  Throw him in there with Burdi, Johnson, and Hamilton as real hard throwers for the future.

• 1 month later...