ChiSox @ Tribe, Memorial Day Game Thread

soxfan49

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you listened to Sutcliffe he said you can't blame a catcher when a pitcher spikes a fastball in that situation because he's looking to frame the low strike.

I only listen to catchers when it comes to catching. I caught in college and I would have been torn a new asshole for not blocking that, despite being nowhere near the MLB level. You're always looking to frame... However, with a man on 3rd. First priority is that guy not scoring. 

It's an unforgivable mistake at the MLB level

Just now, Richie said:

I only listen to catchers when it comes to catching. I caught in college and I would have been torn a new asshole for not blocking that, despite being nowhere near the MLB level. You're always looking to frame... However, with a man on 3rd. First priority is that guy not scoring. 

It's an unforgivable mistake at the MLB level

SO not blocking a really bad pitch is unforgivable. OK

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

SO not blocking a really bad pitch is unforgivable. OK

Not even attempting to block a pitch that is easily blockable (with a runner on 3rd) is lazy and unforgivable. Yes

Literally just turn your glove over. That was a routine stop to make. Bounce in front of the plate = Pitcher's fault. Bounce after crossing the plate = catcher's fault. Especially seeing as it was dead center in front of him. That pitch would have been stopped by most JUCO catchers. 

Edited by Richie

Except for Engel, all of the Sox batters in the 4th inning took at least 3 pitches before swinging.  Shows how with plate discipline you can both score runs and run up the pitch count.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Insp said:

Except for Engel, all of the Sox batters in the 4th inning took at least 3 pitches before swinging. 

This just simply isn't true. lol. I don't know what else to say.

@Insp

Every single hitter in the 4th swung at one of the first two pitches. 3 of 5 swung at the first. All three of those AB's resulted in hits - two were the HR's by Anderson/Skole.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=380528105

White Sox 4th inning:

Palka - 1st pitch: Swinging Strike (Curve Ball, 73 MPH)

Skole - 1st pitch: Foul Ball (Fast Ball, 90 MPH)

Anderson - 1st pitch: Foul Ball (Slider, 83 MPH)

Engel - 2nd pitch: Pop out

Tilson - 2nd pitch: Foul Ball (Slider, 81 MPH)

Edited by Richie

11 minutes ago, Richie said:

Not even attempting to block a pitch that is easily blockable (with a runner on 3rd) is lazy and unforgivable. Yes

Literally just turn your glove over. That was a routine stop to make. Bounce in front of the plate = Pitcher's fault. Bounce after crossing the plate = catcher's fault. Especially seeing as it was dead center in front of him. That pitch would have been stopped by most JUCO catchers. 

I tend to listen more to a ML pitcher who probably threw to 50 ML catchers in his career than blame a catcher trying to catch ML stuff. Juco players don't catch for ML pitchers.