Fire Ricky Renteria

Insp

First Renteria took Covey out  for no apparent reason, then he took Avilan after just one pitch and now he's making all sorts of pitcher changes and substitutions just like he's the Mad Hatter of baseball.  Baseball is not Wonderland, folks and its time that we stop making excuses about how he's a rookie manager and let him learn from his mistakes.  He's shown himself incapable of learning anything about baseball.

Fire Renteria now before he becomes an even bigger laughingstock than Terry Bevington.

Edited by Insp
Realized that I misspelled Bevington's last name.

2 minutes ago, Insp said:

First Renteria took Covey out  for no apparent reason, then he took Avilan after just one pitch and now he's making all sorts of pitcher changes and substitutions just like he's the Mad Hatter of baseball.  Baseball is not Wonderland, folks and its time that we stop making excuses about how he's a rookie manager and let him learn from his mistakes.  He's shown himself incapable of learning anything about baseball.

Fire Renteria now before he becomes an even bigger laughingstock than Terry Bevengton.

Lmao.  This coming from the guy who was upset we weren't taking pitches instead of scoring runs.

• Haha 3

Step 1: go to White Sox.com

Step 2: click on "view active roster"

Step 3: Realize this is currently a minor league team plus Jose Abreu

Step 4: Delete this thread

Step 5: crack open a cold one and suck it up buttercup cuz Ricky is going nowhere fast.

Edited by Scoots
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Step 5: crack open a cold one and suck it up buttercup cuz Ricky is going nowhere fast.

QFT.

RR should be fired but it'd be silly to do so now. For what? It'd be a move by Hahn seen as totally passing the buck and Hahn is an honorable guy. He wouldn't do that. I mean nobody could lead this team to 54 wins, nobody.

55 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Step 6: Delete your account. 

• Haha 1

Rick Renteria is Spanish for Buddy Bell,

He isn’t going anywhere any time soon, but he should. 

Even his rule rule which I agree, run the ball out or sit, if the Sox get to where they want to be, he loses leverage. It is easy to enforce on young guys trying to establish themselves while playing games where it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. Once they start to contend, it isn’t like he can bench Moncada in the first inning because he half assed it down the line on a routine grounder to 2B.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Rick Renteria is Spanish for Buddy Bell,

He isn’t going anywhere any time soon, but he should. 

Even his rule rule which I agree, run the ball out or sit, if the Sox get to where they want to be, he loses leverage. It is easy to enforce on young guys trying to establish themselves while playing games where it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. Once they start to contend, it isn’t like he can bench Moncada in the first inning because he half assed it down the line on a routine grounder to 2B.

Why not? Maddon has a similar rule. He pulled Baez in the 3rd inning (I believe) a couple of weeks ago.

34 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Why not? Maddon has a similar rule. He pulled Baez in the 3rd inning (I believe) a couple of weeks ago.

I think it was Saturday. Addison Russell had a groundball hit to him with the bases loaded and 2 outs. He took his sweet time and Sandival (yes the fat Sandival) beat it out. A run scored on that play. The next batter hit a 2 run single. 3 runs scored in that inning because Russell loafed it there. He did not pull him out of the game.

Sox are starting to look like the early version of the Mets with Casey Stengel managing them.  "Can't anyone play this game."  Way too many defensive miscues.  Even the announcers (ESPN's Sutcliffe) commented yesterday.

Renteria has been a major league coach or manager for 10 seasons. The teams he was with had 1 winning season out of 10. 

I'm not goofy enough to think this roster should win, and probably bringing someone else in before they are good enough to win will put a black stain on that individual. I just think all the Ricky is the best guy for this team talk even when they are ready to compete isn't really based on anything of substance. I am sure he's a great guy with a lot of energy. I am sure most players really like him. That doesn't make him championship manager material. 

I think a lot of his reputation is Cubs related.Everyone felt sorry for him when he was let go. They made it seem like the stars were aligned so properly, and that was the only reason he was let go. The Cubs went out of their way to get Maddon. They saw the issues.  His bullpen usage was questioned. He obviously loves the bunt. In no way am I blaming him for the White Sox sucking. But I do think they have to make a change by the time they are not sucking or they are going to pay for it.

• Like 1

While Renteria doesn't seem like much of a manger to me, this rebuilding team has its DH, utility guy, LF, RF all on the DL.  The roster now has several certified AAAA players who aren't even audition candidates.   In these circumstances, it's hard to tell for sure.  

Edited by GreenSox

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

While Renteria doesn't seem like much of a manger to me, this rebuilding team has its DH, utility guy, LF, RF all on the DL.  The roster now has several certified AAAA players who aren't even audition candidates.   In these circumstances, it's hard to tell for sure.  

The Sox do have a plethora of players on the DL, most notably Davidson and Avi. Beef is gone. Others too that I forget. MG doesn't matter. He's no good. Couple that with one of the worst pitching staffs in Sox history, yes, it's unfair to judge RR on this season. Of course it is. I think he'd be better off though if he scrapped the bunting crap. Don't force the team to fire you someday cause of bunting in a season where nothing matters but Moncada, Anderson, Gio development, maybe a few others.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Of course it is. I think he'd be better off though if he scrapped the bunting crap. 

The bunting is largely why I think he's a bad manager (pulling players for some boneheaded plays, but not others, is another reason).  Bunting is such a defeatist "play not to lose" strategy in most circumstances.  Still, he doesn't have much of a roster; and while he had that goofy inning yesterday, I think he's managed the pitchers pretty well overall and showed a lot of flexibility with the bullpen.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Renteria has been a major league coach or manager for 10 seasons. The teams he was with had 1 winning season out of 10. 

I'm not goofy enough to think this roster should win, and probably bringing someone else in before they are good enough to win will put a black stain on that individual. I just think all the Ricky is the best guy for this team talk even when they are ready to compete isn't really based on anything of substance. I am sure he's a great guy with a lot of energy. I am sure most players really like him. That doesn't make him championship manager material. 

I think a lot of his reputation is Cubs related.Everyone felt sorry for him when he was let go. They made it seem like the stars were aligned so properly, and that was the only reason he was let go. The Cubs went out of their way to get Maddon. They saw the issues.  His bullpen usage was questioned. He obviously loves the bunt. In no way am I blaming him for the White Sox sucking. But I do think they have to make a change by the time they are not sucking or they are going to pay for it.

The difference is the Cubs will invest in an experienced manager with success where the Sox will use former players.   This is often one of the bad ideas in professional sports.   Who remembers what great players Ozzie and Robin were.