Time to see if the Astros will take a reliever or two

caulfield12

Nate Jones

B.Rondon (less likely)

Fry (if they want another lefty, although surely Hahn would try to push the veteran Avilan out the door first)

Soria

Joe Smith and Harris have high/er ERA's, Devenski and Giles have both gotten bombed in the last week, and they seemingly didn't have 100% confidence in Giles to begin the season with in the first place.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I think the scorched earth part of this rebuild is over. Jones and Fry are young and the Sox have control. Why not keep them for the future?

I agree on Fry, but based on history, Jones’ arm could explode at any moment.

Jones is NOT that young.

His injury history and contract status make him an ideal candidate to push out of the nest this year.

Fry, I would agree with you...and most teams aren't going to be willing to overvalue him based on his 2018 results so far, because he's had a fairly pedestrian/injury-plagued career up to this point.

So, IDEALLY, they can move Jones and/or Avilan/Soria.   Hopefully they won't move both together just to save the money and lower the prospect return, but it's the most logical move.

But...KC's going to be asking for the sun, moon and stars with Herrera.  Might be better to strike first and get what we can for Jones instead of waiting until the last two weeks of July (or before he gets hurt again, see Crain, Jessie).

It's not like he will get a ton of save opportunities against the Indians anyway, or the Twins.

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think the scorched earth part of this rebuild is over. Jones and Fry are young and the Sox have control. Why not keep them for the future?

It's easier to find relievers long term, but teams will pay premiums for short term needs.  Plus a Lot of relievers don’t have long staying power, so by the time the Sox need him he may be done.

now if they think he’s Kimbrall then they should keep him.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

It's easier to find relievers long term, but teams will pay premiums for short term needs.  Plus a Lot of relievers don’t have long staying power, so by the time the Sox need him he may be done.

now if they think he’s Kimbrall then they should keep him.

Even so, you aren't going to get much for these guys. And it's time to start building this thing back up.

I never thought I'd see a thread wondering if other teams want to trade for White Sox relievers, one of the worst set of relievers in team history. I mean c'mon, folks. there's a reason the Sox have the putrid record they do.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

*in comes Greg to discuss how "young" that "young" truly is*

You guys are making a big mistake in becoming obsessed with greg. I have said many times before I am not evil. I am a fan. A big fan who a.) loves the Sox.  b.) does not like Sox management or ownership and what they have done (except for the WS title, applause, applause) and c.) wants the White Sox to win every game, every single game they can. So don't be obsessed. There is no problem with me. I just want to win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I never thought I'd see a thread wondering if other teams want to trade for White Sox relievers, one of the worst set of relievers in team history. I mean c'mon, folks. there's a reason the Sox have the putrid record they do.

As of a few days ago, the Sox bullpen had one of the best ERA's in the game over the past month.  

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Actually a team with a true need in the pen is the team we are playing right now.  Nate as a set up man in Cleveland would be exactly what they need.  No idea if they would deal with the Sox or not due to being in the same division.

The Sox traded Cabrera to KC last July, so unless Cleveland has a problem trading within the division, I doubt being in the same division halts any trades, at least on the Sox end.

Edited by soxfan49

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You guys are making a big mistake in becoming obsessed with greg. I have said many times before I am not evil. I am a fan. A big fan who a.) loves the Sox.  b.) does not like Sox management or ownership and what they have done (except for the WS title, applause, applause) and c.) wants the White Sox to win every game, every single game they can. So don't be obsessed. There is no problem with me. I just want to win.

a) Their bullpen has been very good. b) Fry has been next to unhittable, so any team would love to have him. Plus he's a LHP. c) While Jones has been somewhat inconsistent, every contender would love a relief pitcher that can throw 98-100 mph.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

The Sox traded Cabrera to KC last July, so unless Cleveland has a problem trading within the division, I doubt being in the division halts any trades, at least on the Sox end.

Some GM's don't care, others worry about the potential of having one of their former prospects kicking their collective asses for six years or more.

56 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

a) Their bullpen has been very good. b) Fry has been next to unhittable, so any team would love to have him. Plus he's a LHP. c) While Jones has been somewhat inconsistent, every contender would love a relief pitcher that can throw 98-100 mph.

As long as Jones stays healthy ( big if) there will be plenty of interested teams. I think Jones will be wearing a different uniform by the deadline. Well, that's assuming the Sox front office gets trade approval from the Gregg beforehand.

I'm not sure why on earth anyone would already want to trade Fry already?  He's young...coming into his own and under control.  They can trade every single person in the pen as far as I'm concerned...EXCEPT Fry.  That being said...what would be an "acceptable" return?