TA: I Can Play Anywhere (talking about potential change to OF)

caulfield12

Don't get why fans/media keep speculating a move from SS for Tim. 

First, why would you move a top 12 defensive player from his position (when he is young and improving)?

Second, why would he even be moving? For a 5'7 Madrigal to play SS? For Machado, who is having a hilariously bad defensive season at SS?

Third, why move him to the outfield long-term when that's arguably our biggest organizational strength beside pitching? Between Robert/Jimenez/Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez/Basabe/Call/FA, I'm confident we'll be fine there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

First, why would you move a top 12 defensive player from his position (when he is young and improving)?

Second, why would he even be moving? For a 5'7 Madrigal to play SS? For Machado, who is having a hilariously bad defensive season at SS?

Third, why move him to the outfield long-term when that's arguably our biggest organizational strength beside pitching? Between Robert/Jimenez/Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez/Basabe/Call/FA, I'm confident we'll be fine there. 

Yea it’s really odd.  TA is a pretty electric SS.  He can make all the plays.  This is a good thing.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Second, why would he even be moving? For a 5'7 Madrigal to play SS?

So you are telling me we are going through all this losing to get a reward of a 5-foot-7 shortstop? Yes draftniks (not you, Jose) tell me again why losing is so beneficial when we are gonna take a ? mark in a 5-7 baseball player?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Yea it’s really odd.  TA is a pretty electric SS.  He can make all the plays.  This is a good thing.  

I don't think it's odd at all and Anderson isn't phased by it and wants to be a SS but he also indicated he didn't think it would be all that difficult to play OF. He also knows that it's a possibility depending on future events and the Sox may end up having a hard decision to make. But as he said he wants to be a White Sox for life and wants to be in the lineup no matter what position he plays.

I don't think the talk is based on having Madrigal playing SS at all since there isn't any guarantee the Sox will even draft him. Maybe Machado won't want to move but the Sox pursue him and actually get him. It's a long shot but then that's where the hard decision comes in that Tim knows could be coming.

If he isn't that concerned with it neither am I .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I chalk this up to a lack of something interesting to write about so something had to be created. I really don't think there's any reason to move TA from SS and I actually like him there. He's fine right where he is.

However. In the spirit of a good old fashioned Gregg inspired conspiracy theory I'll indulge. We all know the CF production has been bad so maybe the idea is to put TA in CF to bolster the CF production and give more playing time to Rondon at SS to see what his bat has to offer on a daily basis. I really don't think this has anything to do with madrigal since 1) we're not sure he'll be drafted by the Sox and 2) will take a year or two before he's ready.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

behind

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

So you are telling me we are going through all this losing to get a reward of a 5-foot-7 shortstop? Yes draftniks (not you, Jose) tell me again why losing is so beneficial when we are gonna take a ? mark in a 5-7 baseball player?

Jose Altuve and Dustin Pedroia would like to have a word with you.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm surprised your actually confident of much of anything having to do with the Sox right now. I mean sure growing pains and I have been the one guy saying injuries prospect flame outs etc while others just think every pitcher will come internally.

I'm certainly not against the rebuild but everyone here needs to start getting real. This year the rebuild has suffered a lot of set backs and cracks in the dam have led to a flood. We can all say it's darkest before the dawn and with Kopech and Eloy on the horizon things will surely get better but the Sox need to keep their options open .

Stop thinking it's all just bad luck because it's not . It's just what happens in sports and creating versatility gives teams more options especially with the increasing reliance on the bullpen. Cubs have Zobrist and Bryant playing all over . Stros have Marwin Gonzalez . Championship caliber teams have those kinds of guys and if that ends up being Tim Anderson for one reason or another so be it. Right now JImenez is the only one among the OF you mentioned in the minors I'm pretty syre will have a very nice career. The rest either become trade bait  or never become the quality of players you need on a champ. There isn't any guarantee that Jimenez stays in the OF either.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Did he say he wanted to be a catcher?................just kidding and sorry!

Hoop! There it is!!!

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

His numbers project to be an all star catcher. He looks like a catcher. We'd finally have a decent hitting catcher who can throw.

He's 6-foot-1 and lean.

Manny Sanguillen was 6-foot and lean. Sandy Alomar was 6-5 and lean. Sal Perez is 6-3 but beefy.  The average major league catcher in 2011 stood 6-foot-0 1/2. Need I go on? JC Martin of the Sox was 6-2 and lean. I'm not just pulling stuff out of my behind, folks. Greg is a baseball aficionado (at times). Why can't you except the profile of TA as a possible catcher?

• Haha 1

Just now, greg775 said:

He's 6-foot-1 and lean.

Manny Sanguillen was 6-foot and lean. Sandy Alomar was 6-5 and lean. Sal Perez is 6-3 but beefy.  The average major league catcher in 2011 stood 6-foot-0 1/2. Need I go on? JC Martin of the Sox was 6-2 and lean. I'm not just pulling stuff out of my behind, folks. Greg is a baseball aficionado (at times). Why can't you except the profile of TA as a possible catcher?

May God have mercy on your soul.

• Haha 1

Just now, greg775 said:

People say I don't give examples now you don't like my examples. WTH?

And you wonder why people think you are a troll or just the fan version of Forrest Gump. I don't really know what to make of you. Attention seeker ? Brain damage? Senility ? You certainly know how to get people to respond to your posts so maybe you're a genius but with you here actual real baseball discussions suffers\ because people spend so much time responding to you and your oddity.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He's 6-foot-1 and lean.

I've never been one to talk about trolling or otherwise ascribe bizarro world motivations, but you can't be serious, Greg.

Or, perhaps you are serious, but self-described "baseball aficionado (at times)," or not, you don't have a particularly in-depth understanding of the great game of baseball.

As far as that looking like a catcher thing ... the vast majority of catchers have been big, burly, beefy guys. They were called backstops and functioned as backstops. Sure, you can cherry-pick a few exceptions to the rule, but they are exceptions. And that's all the time I have for this, because, in the end, who cares what a solid player "looks like." Jose Altuve looks like a little leaguer, but I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

The more fundamental problem with your recurring TA to catcher comments is that it shows no understanding about the training involved in catching and the mentality of those who catch. Emergency catchers aside, virtually everyone who catches at any advanced level of baseball has caught every day of their baseball playing life and wants to do nothing more in life than catch. These dudes are warriors. They live for catching. Not only are they involved in every single play on the field, they have to develop a rapport with the entire pitching staff, many of whom are nearly out-of-their-mind, all the while taking a physical beating like few others in sport. They are in every respect the on-field captain and they are the only player on the field who plays in the right direction -- all other players face backward!

Tim Anderson is a gifted athlete who no doubt COULD catch (and learn a lot about in an off season), but the pounding of catching absolutely destroys bodies and damages hitting, running, and so forth. Why would you do that to Tim?

And why is this even being discussed?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And you wonder why people think you are a troll or just the fan version of Forrest Gump. I don't really know what to make of you. Attention seeker ? Brain damage? Senility ? You certainly know how to get people to respond to your posts so maybe you're a genius but with you here actual real baseball discussions suffers\ because people spend so much time responding to you and your oddity.

Do attention whores have pimps or do they work independently? 

• Like 2

Just now, CyAcosta41 said:

I've never been one to talk about trolling or otherwise ascribe bizarro world motivations, but you can't be serious, Greg.

And why is this even being discussed?

Because we are all just pawns on his chess board ? I swore I'd never respond to him as others do but I fell victim. He draws you in lol .Cy. you fell victim, one of the most intelligent guys around here who doesn't post nearly enough. More you less him would be nice.

• Like 1