TA: I Can Play Anywhere (talking about potential change to OF)

caulfield12

41 minutes ago, CyAcosta41 said:

The more fundamental problem with your recurring TA to catcher comments is that it shows no understanding about the training involved in catching and the mentality of those who catch. Emergency catchers aside, virtually everyone who catches at any advanced level of baseball has caught every day of their baseball playing life and wants to do nothing more in life than catch. These dudes are warriors. They live for catching. Not only are they involved in every single play on the field, they have to develop a rapport with the entire pitching staff, many of whom are nearly out-of-their-mind, all the while taking a physical beating like few others in sport. They are in every respect the on-field captain and they are the only player on the field who plays in the right direction -- all other players face backward!

I can buy these arguments. Post more often. As far as the person who asked how he looks like a catcher. You don't think he looks like Sandy Alomar back there or Manny Sanguillen? I realize he's not gonna be a catcher. I just said his production numbers will be more apt a catcher than a SS IMO. Also, frankly? He's not a very good SS.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

With you here actual real baseball discussions suffers\ because people spend so much time responding to you and your oddity.

That's sad. Some of my positions are wild, but except for mentioning long ago that I thought Tim would be a great catcher, I've never brought it up again. Do I respond when peeps mock me and bring it up? Sure. It's not like I am posting it all the time. I respond to attacks and mockery of old posts of mine, sure I do. As far as the above sentence. Look ... if you want a board where 95 percent of the posts are praising the rebuild and happy about losing (cept for the game threads, I respect fans for getting mad at the Sox on there) then get rid of me and my ilk. I try to be a good fan. I'm telling you I want us to be good. I don't quite understand how Lopez getting shelled again can be shrugged off. Or proclaiming our bullpen good for gawd sakes. I have violent opinions but I love the Sox! Caulfield can attest to that or Fathom. They know I am normal, just passionate. I may be the polar opposite of El Rockin. But life is not all sunshine. There are Chicago hailstorms to consider.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

He's 6-foot-1 and lean.

Manny Sanguillen was 6-foot and lean. Sandy Alomar was 6-5 and lean. Sal Perez is 6-3 but beefy.  The average major league catcher in 2011 stood 6-foot-0 1/2. Need I go on? JC Martin of the Sox was 6-2 and lean. I'm not just pulling stuff out of my behind, folks. Greg is a baseball aficionado (at times). Why can't you except the profile of TA as a possible catcher?

When it comes to players, greg doesn't care about things like "ability to hit and field," only size, aesthetic, and how good they were when they were on the Royals.

Madrigal has been reported to be “Gold Glove-caliber” at 2B by NUMEROUS publications.

When it gets to him playing SS, the arm concerns come up (see Yolmer)...with that being seen as a position quite a few scouts/GM’s would like to see him try first until he proves he can or can’t handle it.

There have been reports that he’s not great with lateral quickness/range, even though he has excellent sprint speed forwards and backwards.

Almost universally, everyone praises his hands and practice habits and argues he would work harder than anyone else to make himself great at any position he was assigned to (see Alex Gordon in LF).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Why about Moncada - can he play 3rd?   I seem to recall CF suggestions a while back.

Moncada could be moved, but he's raw enough that the more times you move him the worse he's likely to get at everything. In a year or two, if we wanted to move him over there, that could probably be manageable. 

6 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Whoever suggest that Anderson should move to catcher should be banned from this site.  Like, how idiotic can you be?

Heaven forbid we discuss things here. He doesn't remind you of Alomar size wise? How bout the fact our organization has sucked at catcher forever? His stats project great for a catcher. Forgive me for living and breathing. Excuse me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Heaven forbid we discuss things here. He doesn't remind you of Alomar size wise? How bout the fact our organization has sucked at catcher forever? His stats project great for a catcher. Forgive me for living and breathing. Excuse me.

I've found Alomar's playing weight listed between 200 and 235, so all Anderson needs to do is add another 40 lb or so.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

At least discuss something relevant and that can actually happen.  No words can explain how bad of an idea Tim Anderson catching is

• Thanks 4