TA: I Can Play Anywhere (talking about potential change to OF)

caulfield12

56 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

At least discuss something relevant and that can actually happen.  No words can explain how bad of an idea Tim Anderson catching is

I'm just saying if you have to move him off ss, put him somewhere his bat will be above average for a ballplayer: Catcher. He's got a good arm and is lanky. No way the guy is an outfielder either. That's just as silly/ridiculous. TA is NOT an outfielder.

Moncada can't hit left hand pitching after parts of three  season in the majors and 140 or so ABs against LH pitching.

On this forum it is not good enough to opine that a player might  develop as a RH hitter. There has to be some statistic or a statistical trend to bolster one's argument or some definite short term trend that meets the eye test. Otherwise, I suppose, some attempt by the player to change his approach, or in this case, perhaps to have Moncada stop batting RH altogether and platoon with someone who can play second and hit LH pitching.

I guess Moncada will have the rest of the 2018 season to prove he can hit LH pitching. If he can't then there are other options and decisions to be made.

I am really disappointed in what it appears we got for Chris Sale, at least to this point.  Time will tell though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm just saying if you have to move him off ss, put him somewhere his bat will be above average for a ballplayer: Catcher. He's got a good arm and is lanky. No way the guy is an outfielder either. That's just as silly/ridiculous. TA is NOT an outfielder.

God help us all...

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

See, now you're straight up trolling Gregg. This post makes zero sense and it's obvious you are whoring for attention. Baseball aficionado my ass.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Jake said:

Disregarding the weird recent conversation, I thought Tim answered the original question in a near-perfect way.

I agree. It's a shame that so few people who share their opinions actually watch the games or even look at stats. He's been great. 

• Like 2

I know there have been a few players that have moved from being a catcher to some other position. Mauer, Schwarber and Harper come to mind.

But are there any examples of a big league player moving from some other spot to being a full time catcher? I can't think of any.

Edited by Iwritecode

15 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I know there have been a few players that have moved from being a catcher to some other position. Mauer, Schwarber and Harper come to mind.

But are there any examples of a big league player moving from some other spot to being a full time catcher? I can't think of any.

There was the kid in the Texas series who the announcers said was learning catching at the MLB level. Looking at his minors he only caught 31 games in the minors.  Mostly an infielder.

5 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

See, now you're straight up trolling Gregg. This post makes zero sense and it's obvious you are whoring for attention. Baseball aficionado my ass.

I know he's not moving to catcher. I'm just saying if he has to move I'd rather him move to catcher than outfielder. Tim is a good player IMO. If he stays at ss which he will, that means either Moncada or Madrigal will be traded. I guess Moncada could move to third. Again I guess that is possible but I don't expect that.

Edited by greg775

Personally I could live with TA at SS or 3rd  with sub-standard D if he hits the ball out of the park more, walks  more and steals more.Tim can do all of that.

I cannot live with Moncada starting every day at any position if he only  hits .150 against LH pitching. That has gotten ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I know he's not moving to catcher. I'm just saying if he has to move I'd rather him move to catcher than outfielder. Tim is a good player IMO. If he stays at ss which he will, that means either Moncada or Madrigal will be traded. I guess Moncada could move to third. Again I guess that is possible but I don't expect that.

I agree Timmy won't be moved off of SS and shouldn't be. But if he was moved, with his speed and athleticism he would fare much better in the outfield than he would at catcher. Squatting for 9 innings takes its toll on catcher's knees and that would hurt Tim's speed which is a part of his game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, raBBit said:

People really need to stop putting so much weight into SSS of defensive metrics. These metrics are pretty questionable in proper scope let alone a three month sample. TA has made strides at the plate and has a great range/arm strength but he is very sloppy at shortstop. I think he's a guy that improves with time but I think it's wrong seeing all these Sox fans acting like he's a plus defender because of small sample of wonky defensive metrics. 

He was very sloppy at the beginning of the year. Over the past month and a half or so, he has looked great, both by the metrics and by the eye test

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

People really need to stop putting so much weight into SSS of defensive metrics. These metrics are pretty questionable in proper scope let alone a three month sample. TA has made strides at the plate and has a great range/arm strength but he is very sloppy at shortstop. I think he's a guy that improves with time but I think it's wrong seeing all these Sox fans acting like he's a plus defender because of small sample of wonky defensive metrics. 

I’m not disputing that he’s sloppy but we have to remember that Tim Anderson is still pretty new to playing baseball, the fact that he’s playing shortstop at the ML level is impressive but I think he’s made some strides this year.

One of the things that concerns me going forward is team defense, the Sox haven’t had a good defensive team since 2012?

Edited by Joshua Strong

On 7/8/2018 at 11:08 PM, greg775 said:

Are you a real person

• Haha 2