Nick Hostetler Draft History

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

That surprises me.   The GM makes the trades based on scouting reports; would seem that they would also do the draft.

On a different matter, I recall 2 years ago that the Sox were rumored to be on Dakota Hudson at #10; he was a mid-rotation ceiling pitcher who ended up going #30 ish. Maybe that was dis-information, maybe it wasn't.  But it is consistent with the affectation for Singer.

Hopefully they also go for the productive bat in this scenario. I don't care if that's Madrigal or Bohm.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Zangari is trying to remake this thread by himself. 

No kidding, glad to see the kid put himself on the map like that. I definitely kinda removed him from my watch list after 2 years of injuries.

21 minutes ago, Jake said:

Gotta say, at this fairly early date I'm not feeling great about the 2017 draft.

Luis Gonzalez and Laz Rivera are killing it at A+. Henzman, Battenfield, and Johnson have done well as well, as did Kade McClure before his injury. Burger and Sheets haven't lived up to expectations yet, but that could still turn around.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Luis Gonzalez and Laz Rivera are killing it at A+. Henzman, Battenfield, and Johnson have done well as well, as did Kade McClure before his injury. Burger and Sheets haven't lived up to expectations yet, but that could still turn around.

Sheets has been pretty solid outside of the lack of in-game power.  If there's one thing that the last few years of baseball have taught me, guys can learn how to improve their launch angle, but you can't teach someone how to have 70 grade power.  It's obviously a bit concerning, but no one should be at the point of panic yet. 

And I will say anytime you lose a top 10 overall pick to injury in their first full year that draft isn't going too hot.  If Burger comes back and flashes a plus bat the draft will quickly look fine.   

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sheets has been pretty solid outside of the lack of in-game power.  If there's one thing that the last few years of baseball have taught me, guys can learn how to improve their launch angle, but you can't teach someone how to have 70 grade power.  It's obviously a bit concerning, but no one should be at the point of panic yet. 

And I will say anytime you lose a top 10 overall pick to injury in their first full year that draft isn't going too hot.  If Burger comes back and flashes a plus bat the draft will quickly look fine.   

IMO if three of the guys I listed become ML contributing players, the 2017 draft will be a huge success regardless of what Burger does.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

IMO if three of the guys I listed become ML contributing players, the 2017 draft will be a huge success regardless of what Burger does.

We basically need one of Burger, Sheets, & Gonzalez to become an everyday contributor, Johnson to become a high-leverage reliever, and perhaps one of McClure, Henzman, or Battenfield to become a back-end starting option.  That would be a pretty decent draft.  Anything more than that would be a great draft and that's still possible at this point in time.  My biggest issue with the 2017 draft was a complete lack of high school picks and/or high upside players.  They seemed to play it safe a bit to help fill out the system with respectable college guys.  Regardless, it's still got a chance of working out.

6 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The Sox couldn't draft either of them. Can't blame them for not taking guys they couldn't get.

I'm aware, just seems like another situation where a loss here or there could have really given the Sox a chance at a better player in the long run (i.e..Benintendi)

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'm aware, just seems like another situation where a loss here or there could have really given the Sox a chance at a better player in the long run (i.e..Benintendi)

Agreed. I wanted Hiura, so it was especially disappointing for me when the Brewers shocked everyone and took him at 9.

You can obviously win picking either high school or college. That the Sox are emphasizing college players is Williams and Hahn's choice.  I'm still surprised that the scouting director, and not the persons in charge of player personnel,  actually make the picks.

If  you don't put the resources into scouting and evaluation you are better off picking college players....they have more form and less information asymmetry.
If you scout and evaluate better  than the competition, you are better off picking high school guys...have more information than the competition and have an edge.

Edited by GreenSox