2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

Does anyone else just not have interest in catchers in the first round? I know you need depth at every position, but it's a spot that sits the most often and is a premium position where defense is more important than offense. You could always try finding a defensive-first catcher to hit 9th in free agency later in the rebuild if the top guys like Collins and Zavala flame out.

Kiley mentioned two names for 2019 on his chat yesterday. One was Hunter Barco who we saw BA also has high, while the other was Bryson Stott a college SS. Anyone who has the time should follow the games for the college and 18u national teams because our pick is almost definitely on one of those teams (unless its a college pitcher) and it will probably be one of the players that does well that shoots up the rankings.

18 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Does anyone else just not have interest in catchers in the first round? I know you need depth at every position, but it's a spot that sits the most often and is a premium position where defense is more important than offense. You could always try finding a defensive-first catcher to hit 9th in free agency later in the rebuild if the top guys like Collins and Zavala flame out.

I am okay taking a catcher, but they have to have good defense and enough of a bat to be at least an average 1B or LF. Its the same problem I have with guys who are only fringy in center or at short but get pushed up draft boards because they might be able to play those positions. As soon as they can no longer play those premium defensive positions, they don't have the offensive profile to play anywhere else. That is a big risk that I feel like isn't accurately reflected in draft rankings though it may soon be with how risk averse teams are getting. 

31 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Me. I despise the idea of taking a catcher in the first round. I understand the counter arguments about scarcity, etc., but my philosophy is exactly the same as yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Witt, Jr. is pretty clearly the best high school player in the country (for the moment) and there’s nearly-universal scouting agreement on his possessing five tools...

As far as our OSU studs go, let’s see how he does next year when you strip away a group of their 5 best juniors/seniors.

Can he keep performing offensively at that same level, and continue to improve his defense?

At any rate, having Madrigal on board, they’ll (seemingly) have the best insights of any organization on whether to draft one of his former teammates or not.

"Possessing five tools" means he's 50 or better in each. That could be all 50s (Except speed, because you have to be fast to be considered a consensus #1 HS prospect). Maybe Rutschman won't grade out better, but the smart bet for who will go higher in the 2019 draft is the productive college player who plays a premium defensive position and switch hits.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

"Possessing five tools" means he's 50 or better in each. That could be all 50s (Except speed, because you have to be fast to be considered a consensus #1 HS prospect). Maybe Rutschman won't grade out better, but the smart bet for who will go higher in the 2019 draft is the productive college player who plays a premium defensive position and switch hits.

I'm not saying Witt is the better player or will go higher than Rutschman, but right now Witt might 5 tools rated at least plus. Of the more quantifiable tools he has elite bat speed and exit velos meaning he probably has at least plus power, he has a great arm for the left side, and his 60 time is plus but his home-to-first times are 80 grade. He is said to have great range and actions for short. The only two questions are really his hit tool and how much projection he still has because he is already almost 18. We will find out about the hit tool this summer and then the only question left going into the year would be how much of what he does is because he is older, much as it was for Kelenic and Rutherford. 

14 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I'm not saying Witt is the better player or will go higher than Rutschman, but right now Witt might 5 tools rated at least plus. Of the more quantifiable tools he has elite bat speed and exit velos meaning he probably has at least plus power, he has a great arm for the left side, and his 60 time is plus but his home-to-first times are 80 grade. He is said to have great range and actions for short. The only two questions are really his hit tool and how much projection he still has because he is already almost 18. We will find out about the hit tool this summer and then the only question left going into the year would be how much of what he does is because he is older, much as it was for Kelenic and Rutherford. 

This is the same way everyone was drooling over Brice Turang and Joe Gray Jr. at this time last year. Unless the name Bryce Harper is brought up as a comparison to a HS player, I'm not going to get excited about them until MUCH closer to draft day, because so many of these HS players that are hyped as potential 1-1 picks flame out along the way, mostly because their hit tool fails them. I'll be a lot more excited about this Witt kid if he survives the summer with a plus grade on his hit tool.

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm ok with the sox taking Rutschman as it provides insulation in a similar sense as Madrigal. Its entirely possible he will be the BPA or in the grey area for BPA where we will be picking next year.

Madrigal affords the sox a quick to the majors bat that could potentially move Moncada off to 3B if they fail to land Manny or Nolan in the next two FA classes. Rutschman provides organizational insulation if Collins can't stick behind the dish except in a Gattis or Schwarber like fashion and Seby is destined as a back up, then the sox are forced to either sign a FA like Grandal next year and I doubt that will come cheap or the dodgers will let him go before Ruiz is ready or draft someone like Rutschman who i'm on completely on board with.

time to dream on a future sox 2020 line up

2B - Madrigal

3B - Moncada#

RF - Jimmenez

1B - Collins* (I say this as a proponent of Collins staying behind the dish until its proven he can't)

DH - Davidson

C - Rutschman#

CF - Robert

LF - Rutherford*

SS - Anderson

Edited by beautox

34 minutes ago, beautox said:

I'm ok with the sox taking Rutschman as it provides insulation in a similar sense as Madrigal. Its entirely possible he will be the BPA or in the grey area for BPA where we will be picking next year.

Madrigal affords the sox a quick to the majors bat that could potentially move Moncada off to 3B if they fail to land Manny or Nolan in the next two FA classes. Rutschman provides organizational insulation if Collins can't stick behind the dish except in a Gattis or Schwarber like fashion and Seby is destined as a back up, then the sox are forced to either sign a FA like Grandal next year and I doubt that will come cheap or the dodgers will let him go before Ruiz is ready or draft someone like Rutschman who i'm on completely on board with.

time to dream on a future sox 2020 line up

2B - Madrigal

3B - Moncada#

RF - Jimmenez

1B - Collins* (I say this as a proponent of Collins staying behind the dish until its proven he can't)

DH - Davidson

C - Rutschman#

CF - Robert

LF - Rutherford*

SS - Anderson

That's more like a 2022 lineup. No Machado or Arenado would be disappointing.

6 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

The whole point of drafting a catcher that early is getting a guy who could give you good offense and defense from the position, thereby giving you an advantage over pretty much the whole league. The Giants got 3 championships in 6 years out of a team led by Buster Posey.

Just now, bmags said:

Rutschman being drafted in 2019 after a certain CWS playoff, and somehow making it to Chicago in 2020 would be pretty unlikely.

Madrigal is likely on a fast track and projecting him for anything before late 2019 seems foolish.

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Madrigal is likely on a fast track and projecting him for anything before late 2019 seems foolish.

Foolish?

Madrigal also has the "benefit" of having missed soem games this year that will allow him time to play maybe even in AZ or at least not as exhausted as a guy like burger. He's on the fast track but what if he twists his ankle? Everything needs to be perfect for late 2019.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Foolish?

Madrigal also has the "benefit" of having missed soem games this year that will allow him time to play maybe even in AZ or at least not as exhausted as a guy like burger. He's on the fast track but what if he twists his ankle? Everything needs to be perfect for late 2019.

I agree. So saying anything before late 2019 (say mid 2019 or opening day 2019) seems foolish.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

I agree. So saying anything before late 2019 (say mid 2019 or opening day 2019) seems foolish.

I'm sorry, I completely read that incorrectly, my bad.

33 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

From the article:

2. White Sox (20-40, .333): Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
Oregon State had two hitters taken in the first round this year and it shouldn't take long for one to go early in 2019. Rutschman might be the best all-around backstop in the class. He's a plus defender with a gun for an arm and excellent receiving skills. He's a switch-hitter with bat speed and plenty of raw power to tap into.

So:

- Plus defense at the premium defensive position

- Plus arm to throw out runners

- Plus bat speed and power

- Switch hitter

- Proven production at the highest amateur levels to date

Sounds good to me.

21 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

The whole point of drafting a catcher that early is getting a guy who could give you good offense and defense from the position, thereby giving you an advantage over pretty much the whole league. The Giants got 3 championships in 6 years out of a team led by Buster Posey.

It also had a lot to do with this guy

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bumgama01.shtml

and this guy

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/linceti01.shtml

and even this guy

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cainma01.shtml

FanGraphs just put up an odds and ends article that had notes on who will be going or going back to college as well as preliminary notes on the top guys in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 draft classes. Here is the write up for 2019:

2019 MLB Draft

For the 2019 class, there is a top tier of five prep standouts, while the college side is very deep in hitters. College pitching is very shallow at this early juncture, however. On the prep side, we have SS C.J. Abrams (Georgia), SS Bobby Witt, Jr. (Texas), LHP Hunter Barco (Florida), 3B Rece Hinds (Florida), and RHP Brennan Malone (North Carolina).

Atop the very deep college hitter class, we have SS Bryson Stott (UNLV), C Adley Rutschman (Oregon State), SS Logan Davidson (Clemson), C Shea Langliers (Baylor), SS Greg Jones (UNC Wilmington), RF Michael Toglia(UCLA), 3B Josh Jung (Texas Tech), RF Michael Busch (North Carolina), RF Matt Wallner (Southern Miss), and SS Braden Shewmake (Texas A&M).

As for that second tier of college bats, we have 3B Drew Mendoza (Florida State), 1B Andrew Vaughn (Cal), SS Will Holland (Auburn), CF Kam Misner (Missouri), 2B Chase Strumpf (UCLA), CF Wil Dalton (Florida), SS Will Wilson (North Carolina State), 1B Spencer Brickhouse (East Carolina), and 2B Nick Quintana (Arizona). All of those college hitters have top-two-round type profiles and the depth of the class means Team USA and the Cape will be deep with bats to watch this summer. There isn’t a clear top college pitcher, and none project for the top 15 picks at this point.

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yes, you need pitching, but Posey was their best position player, best bat, and one of their best defenders. I understand it takes a team to win a championship, but having the best C in baseball makes building the team around him a lot easier.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic