2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well there are only 9 hitters on the roster right now who are 2019 eligible, so I guess we know 9 of their top 26 already:

Will Holland IF R/R 5-10 181 4/18/1998 Lawrenceville, Ga. Auburn Sophomore
Josh Jung IF/RHP R/R 6-2 215 2/12/1998 San Antonio, Texas Texas Tech Sophomore
Shea Langeliers C/IF R/R 6-0 190 11/18/1997 Keller, Texas Baylor Sophomore
Adley Rutschman C/IF S/R 6-2 216 2/6/1998 Sherwood, Ore. Oregon State Sophomore
Braden Shewmake IF L/R 6-4 190 11/19/1997 Wylie, Texas Texas A&M Sophomore
Bryson Stott IF L/R 6-3 195 10/6/1997 Las Vegas, Nev. UNLV Sophomore
Andrew Vaughn IF R/R 5-11 214 4/3/1998 Santa Rosa, Calif. California Sophomore
Matt Wallner OF/P L/R 6-5 220 12/12/1997 Forest Lake, Minn. Southern Mississippi Sophomore
Will Wilson IF R/R 6-0 175 7/21/1998 Kings Mountain, N.C. NC State Sophomore

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pretty good chance one of those players is the sox pick next year.

So just over the last few years, here are the guys that were on the CNT that the Sox ended up drafting:

2017 CNT: Nick Madrigal, Steele Walker, Konnor Pilkington

2016 CNT: Jake Burger, Luis Gonzalez, Tyler Johnson, Evan Skoug, Travis Moniot

2015 CNT: Zach Burdi

2014 CNT: Zack Collins, Carson Fulmer, Ryan Burr (via trade)

2013 CNT: Carlos Rodon, Jake Peter

24 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Rutschman as a Sophomore is looking a lot like Buster Posey as a Sophomore. Similar build, power numbers, etc. I doubt he has the monster Junior season of Buster Posey, but crazier things have happened.

One of the other catchers on the roster is freshman Patrick Bailey. I have no idea how his defense is, but just look at his numbers as a freshman, they are pretty great.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=210201

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Rutschman as a Sophomore is looking a lot like Buster Posey as a Sophomore. Similar build, power numbers, etc. I doubt he has the monster Junior season of Buster Posey, but crazier things have happened.

You love throwing the old "best player at his position" comp at guys eh?  Altuve, Posey, I am anxious to see who it is in 2020.  Trout I hope -- or even the Babe.

18 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You love throwing the old "best player at his position" comp at guys eh?  Altuve, Posey, I am anxious to see who it is in 2020.  Trout I hope -- or even the Babe.

I'm only comparing size and Sophomore season production in this case. Rutschman's 2018 compares well to Posey's 2007. Obviously if the White Sox draft him, I'll want him to be the next Posey, but I'm not even suggesting that as his upside at this point.

Mo Bamba
12:19
Can you compare and contrast the top catcher this year in Joey Bart and next year in Shea Langeliers and Adley Rutschman. Who has the higher ceiling and who is the better player right now?
Kiley McDaniel
12:20
Haven't seen Langeliers but I will in a few weeks and I'm told it's 50 hit/power with 55 defense, 60 arm. Bart is 45 hit/55-60 power, 55-60 defense, 65 arm. Rustchman is 45-50 hit/55-60 power, more 50 defense, 55-60 arm. All slightly different, Bart is probably the best of them but it isn't a huge difference the 2019 kids can't make up.

The USA Baseball Tournament of Stars starts tomorrow. It looks like all the top talent is participating including three guys from the Chicagoland area in RHP Quinn Priester from Cary, C Matt McCormick from Orland Park, and RHP Michael Doolin from Schererville. I saw that McCormick was named to a few all american teams and was the Gatorade state player of the year over Alek Thomas, so he might be one to watch. Here is the roster if anyone wants to look through it.

Just now, GenericUserName said:

The USA Baseball Tournament of Stars starts tomorrow. It looks like all the top talent is participating including three guys from the Chicagoland area in RHP Quinn Priester from Cary, C Matt McCormick from Orland Park, and RHP Michael Doolin from Schererville. I saw that McCormick was named to a few all american teams and was the Gatorade state player of the year over Alek Thomas, so he might be one to watch. Here is the roster if anyone wants to look through it.

When I saw Schererville, I was wondering if he went to Lake Central, where I went, but of course, he went to Andrean. Should have known.

12:49    
Vander: Is Bobby Witt Jr. the clear front runner to go 1st overall right now? If so, is there much of a gap between him and whoever would be 2nd?

12:50    
Kiley McDaniel: I’ll probably write something longer about this soon, but no. The 2019 prep class looks down a lot from 2018 and sounds like 2020 is also much better. Witt has the same tools but swung and missed a lot at PG National, so I’m curious to see how he performs the rest of the summer, since he hadn’t had that issue before. I’d say SS Bryson Stott from UNLV is the favorite right now, but he’s on Team USA and they start playing in a few days, so I’d like to see that team before we start lining guys up, since there’s a lot of info coming in over the next few weeks.

Quick 2019 prep update
SS CJ Abrams (GA) and SS Bobby Witt (TX) look like the top 2 guys still, RF Riley Greene (FL) and 3B Rece Hinds (FL) are probably the next two bats.

On the pitcher side, RHP Brennan Malone (NC) is tops right now, RHP Matthew Allan (FL), LHP Hunter Barco (FL) and RHP Quinn Priester (IL) are the next three for me at this point.

12:58

Josh: What’s the word on Jerrion Ealy? Famous because of the two-sport pedigree, or a guy? Any chance he signs?

12:59

Kiley McDaniel: Probably the next prep hitter if I extended that list, big time athlete but the hand load is kindy funky so need to see more ABs to see how it plays against velo

1:06

Pickle Nick: Based on just hit and power tools where would you rank Andrew Vaughn among college bats for the 2019 draft? Is he capable of playing any other position (outfield?) than first base?

1:07

Kiley McDaniel: Just 1B, R/R, not a great athlete and hasn’t performed in the 7 games I’ve seen but his numbers are obviously insane. He’s a little ways down the list but probably on the first day if he keeps doing this. The college bats are crazy deep for 2019. On our unpublished internal 2019 list, the top 16 college players are all hitters and all top 2 round types.

Edited by GenericUserName

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Sounds like next year is a good year to get a college bat. I know who I want right now, obviously subject to change over the next 11+ months.

Adley just killed one. Seems like he might have a monster junior year.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic