2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s really going to suck when Rutschman gets scooped right before us.  He’d be the perfect finishing touch for this rebuild.

We can't really worry about that right now. There is a ton of time between now and the 2019 draft to evaluate potential players. Hopefully we finish this tank job off the right way and have a top pick, but we will be selecting high regardless. 

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Wasn't there reportedly some sort of issues with his medicals?

Yeah, I think something with his wrist. They only wanted to offer him the 40% of slot required to get the pick next year, so that sounds pretty bad. On the other hand, the Braves new GM was pretty notorious for finding things not to like in medicals with draftees when he was the GM of the Blue Jays, or so one of the FanGraphs guys said a while back. 

On 7/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s really going to suck when Rutschman gets scooped right before us.  He’d be the perfect finishing touch for this rebuild.

That could happen and that would suck, but keep in mind that at this time last year everybody was talking about Nolan Gorman, Brice Turang, and Seth Beer as potential 1-1 candidates and those three went 19, 21, and 28. A year is a long time and a ton can change before we need to worry about it. 

4 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

That could happen and that would suck, but keep in mind that at this time last year everybody was talking about Nolan Gorman, Brice Turang, and Seth Beer as potential 1-1 candidates and those three went 19, 21, and 28. A year is a long time and a ton can change before we need to worry about it. 

Good point & very true.

14 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I agree that a lot happens, but also by this point in the year Turang was falling, everyone knew Beer wasn't going 1-1 and Gorman was struggling against off speed stuff versus Japan (and he was never really in talks to go 1-1 anyway). On top of that, those are two high school players that tend to fall throughout the process and one college guy at the least premium position while Rutschman is a college player at a premium position, and those guys tend to climb as the draft gets closer. All of that said, he still needs to perform at the same level next year during his college season. His performance thus far probably assure that he is a first round pick even with a bad year, but the guys that go at the absolute top of the draft usually have good summers and a good season. 

16 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Adley is the only 55 FV at this way too early juncture. Still fun to start familiarizing with player names though. 

Ya, I am sure this will change tremendously by next year. I am just hoping somehow Adley gets pushed back to the three spot where we likely will pick. Somehow I doubt it, though. 

19 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Adley is the only 55 FV at this way too early juncture. Still fun to start familiarizing with player names though. 

The Sox need a Tigers style year end tank. The pen needs to be just atrocious and they need to trade Abreu and Garcia for a crapton of lottery tickets.

10 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The Sox need a Tigers style year end tank. The pen needs to be just atrocious and they need to trade Abreu and Garcia for a crapton of lottery tickets.

If we tank that hard, that is a really bad sign for the guys on this team.  I'd rather see them go .500 and see progress from guys like Giolito, Moncada, Anderson, etc.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we tank that hard, that is a really bad sign for the guys on this team.  I'd rather see them go .500 and see progress from guys like Giolito, Moncada, Anderson, etc.

You're likely right, I'm just hoping for a (likely unrealistic) scenario in which all the key rebuild guys do well and the bullpen is a flaming gas can outside of Fry and gives up every late lead the team has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

You're likely right, I'm just hoping for a (likely unrealistic) scenario in which all the key rebuild guys do well and the bullpen is a flaming gas can outside of Fry and gives up every late lead the team has.

Yeah, with as much struggle as we have seen, it would be nice to see some of that start to payoff in the 2nd half.  Breakouts from main guys would be wonderful.  We also still may see guys like Eloy and Kopech in September.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, with as much struggle as we have seen, it would be nice to see some of that start to payoff in the 2nd half.  Breakouts from main guys would be wonderful.  We also still may see guys like Eloy and Kopech in September.

My last couple posts have been confrontational. I am going to try something different. You seem knowledgeable from the posts I have read so I want to try and understand. It seems I always have to argue and it gets old. It started with the Carlos lee trade. I know now that’s just how it is. So what breakouts from main guys are you looking for. Besides Moncada, Lopez and Gio, who do you think is going to be a main guy. I don’t see anybody else. They are all in the minors or future free agents. This is where I am confused. 

The rest of the team doesn’t matter at this point. Wishing for wins at this point does what? You added an etc after the names you listed. Who else do you want to see do good. I know people hope for everybody to improve but it just doesn’t happen. We’ve seen what these players are and hoping they turn out good is just wishful thinking. Our future lies in the minors.

Help me understand why everyone thinks, 18 months after basically gutting the team, that we should be winning at this point. As a fan, it is very frustrating. As I’ve said before, I want to win.  After seeing what we got in the trades and drafts since, I feel really good about where we’re heading. 

4 minutes ago, Drwhoo1 said:

My last couple posts have been confrontational. I am going to try something different. You seem knowledgeable from the posts I have read so I want to try and understand. It seems I always have to argue and it gets old. It started with the Carlos lee trade. I know now that’s just how it is. So what breakouts from main guys are you looking for. Besides Moncada, Lopez and Gio, who do you think is going to be a main guy. I don’t see anybody else. They are all in the minors or future free agents. This is where I am confused. 

The rest of the team doesn’t matter at this point. Wishing for wins at this point does what? You added an etc after the names you listed. Who else do you want to see do good. I know people hope for everybody to improve but it just doesn’t happen. We’ve seen what these players are and hoping they turn out good is just wishful thinking. Our future lies in the minors.

Help me understand why everyone thinks, 18 months after basically gutting the team, that we should be winning at this point. As a fan, it is very frustrating. As I’ve said before, I want to win.  After seeing what we got in the trades and drafts since, I feel really good about where we’re heading. 

It isn't about "winning" per se.  It is about Yoan Moncada, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Tim Anderson showing some sustained signs of stardom, or at least big leaps forward in looking like cornerstones of a title team. If those 4 take meaningful steps forward, so will the teams record.  It is also about wanting to see Jose Abreu get healthy and start hitting again.  It is about James Shields pitching well enough to become a trade piece.  It is about Nate Jones and Avi Garcia being healthy and playing well enough to give themselves value on the trade market.  It is about the secondary group of guys having some guys step forward and join guys like Yolmer Sanchez and Leury Garcia as guys who could be on our next title team.  It is that we might see Kopech and Jimenez, along with a couple of other pieces in September, and we want them to succeed.

The more of those things that start to happen, the better of the health of the rebuild is.  If this team utterly collapses in the second half, it means the vast majority of those guys have not grown, or worse they have created more questions than answers.  If you are getting good performances from key players, teams tend to win.  The good play will lead to wins.  That is what I want to see.  If that means a worse pick, so be it.  The Sox do not benefit by guys like Giolito and Moncada continuing to struggle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't about "winning" per se.  It is about Yoan Moncada, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Tim Anderson showing some sustained signs of stardom, or at least big leaps forward in looking like cornerstones of a title team. If those 4 take meaningful steps forward, so will the teams record.  It is also about wanting to see Jose Abreu get healthy and start hitting again.  It is about James Shields pitching well enough to become a trade piece.  It is about Nate Jones and Avi Garcia being healthy and playing well enough to give themselves value on the trade market.  It is about the secondary group of guys having some guys step forward and join guys like Yolmer Sanchez and Leury Garcia as guys who could be on our next title team.  It is that we might see Kopech and Jimenez, along with a couple of other pieces in September, and we want them to succeed.

The more of those things that start to happen, the better of the health of the rebuild is.  If this team utterly collapses in the second half, it means the vast majority of those guys have not grown, or worse they have created more questions than answers.  If you are getting good performances from key players, teams tend to win.  The good play will lead to wins.  That is what I want to see.  If that means a worse pick, so be it.  The Sox do not benefit by guys like Giolito and Moncada continuing to struggle.

Rodon as well. 

Rodon/Gio/Lopez/Fry/TA/Moncada/Abreu/Avi/Yolmer/Leury could all be part of the next good team. (next year hopefully:D)

As ss has said, its better for those guys to do well and maybe end up with pick 4/5 rather than everyone struggling and possibly still not ending up with #1. 

Obviously everyone wants Rutschman now but theres no guarantee he'll even be #1 come June next year. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic