2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we tank that hard, that is a really bad sign for the guys on this team.  I'd rather see them go .500 and see progress from guys like Giolito, Moncada, Anderson, etc.

Not really. Those guys along with Rodon can finish strong and we can still finish poorly overall. The bullpen and others starters can suck. 

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not really. Those guys along with Rodon can finish strong and we can still finish poorly overall. The bullpen and others starters can suck. 

There's a chance for the bullpen to get really bad real soon.  When you combine that with a mediocre rotation and bad offense, it's likely going to get ugly in the 2nd half

• Thanks 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

That is a really narrow window to fit into, and really unrealistic.  Covey, Rodon, Giolito, and Lopez we want to do well.  We want Shields to do well so we can trade him.  After that, we want Kopech or Stephens to do well if/when they are called up.

The pen is more of a crapshoot, but even then, you should start to see guys like Hamilton, Vieira, Bummer etc start to come in once other guys get dealt. You also want to see Nate Jones come back healthy to be dealable in the off-season.  

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is a really narrow window to fit into, and really unrealistic.  Covey, Rodon, Giolito, and Lopez we want to do well.  We want Shields to do well so we can trade him.  After that, we want Kopech or Stephens to do well if/when they are called up.

The pen is more of a crapshoot, but even then, you should start to see guys like Hamilton, Vieira, Bummer etc start to come in once other guys get dealt. You also want to see Nate Jones come back healthy to be dealable in the off-season.  

We want them to do well but its more likely they struggle their first time up in the majors (regards to Kopech, Stephens, Eloy, etc.). And as someone said, trading off a few relievers will make the pen awful. 

I agree with some of your points. We got a lot of mileage out of grooming players and trading them for prospects. If you wanted to trade Avi or Abreu, that time was last year. I have always noticed Chicago has a problem with keeping players too long. There is only a couple weeks before the trade deadline. It’s way too late to hope the players improve enough to trade them.

The only thing that would make this season a success is by doing what this team was meant to do by design, and that’s losing and getting a high pick. You also need to keep seeing continued improvement in the minors, which is happening. I’m only talking about this year. Next year, depending on what other prospects get called up, will require a different plan. This year was always meant to be bad. 

During the big league home run derby Witt and Hinds compete for the HS championship. They were given 90 seconds to hit as many as they could and Hinds went first and got 7 and then Witt proceeded to get 8 with 14 seconds left. Hinds hit them further, so his raw might be bigger and more likely to translate to wood, but Witt definitely has good power and better bat control at this point. 

12 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

During the big league home run derby Witt and Hinds compete for the HS championship. They were given 90 seconds to hit as many as they could and Hinds went first and got 7 and then Witt proceeded to get 8 with 14 seconds left. Hinds hit them further, so his raw might be bigger and more likely to translate to wood, but Witt definitely has good power and better bat control at this point. 

Hopefully 2 players can convince the Orioles and Royals to not take Adley Rutschman. Witt Jr. can be one of those two.

23 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Hopefully 2 players can convince the Orioles and Royals to not take Adley Rutschman. Witt Jr. can be one of those two.

Given his position, Rutschman will likely be the first or second player off the board based on what we know right now. Catching is so valuable to an organization. 

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

If not, I am quite good with Witt, or a player like him.  I think a young, toolsy HS SS would be a perfect fit in the make-up of this farm system right now.  

Right now I'm pretty happy because it seems like Adley and Witt are the top 2, but Langliers is also a good defensive catcher that scouts said was the second best hitter on the college national team. He is getting overshadowed by Adley a bit, but I think he is very comparable to Bart. 

• Like 1

FG updated their 2019 rankings a bit. Adley is #1 and is the only 55 FV right now. Then there are five 50FV guys, none of which are Bobby Witt Jr. who is ranked #11. The five are (in order) Bryson Stott (Col SS), CJ Abrams (HS SS), Shea Langliers (Col C), Michael Toglia (Col RF), Riley Greene (HS RF). Honestly, after watching a bunch of the games, I'm pretty disappointed in Witt. He does seem to have power, but his speed seems to play down in game action, his actions were less fluid and overall just not great at short, and there are questions on his hit tool. I'm wondering if this is another case of a guy peaking early because they are old for the class (and in Witt's case he has the major league dad that might have helped him get better earlier than other), or if he is just growing into his body still and maybe has a changing skill set because of that. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/collegiate-national-team-wraps-up-successful-summer/

Collegiate National Team Wraps Up Successful Summer

adley_rutschman_usabaseball.jpg?preset=f

USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team wrapped up an impressive summer slate last week with a series win in Cuba, completing their campaign with series wins against Taiwan, Japan and Cuba and a 12-3 overall record.

But it wasn’t just the success that made the team memorable to manager Paul Mainieri, it was also the way the players conducted themselves.

“We just had an amazing group of young men,” Mainieri said. “They obviously were very talented, but they were also very unselfish. Conducted themselves in a first-class way, like to think they forged relationships with teammates and coaches that will last a lifetime. For me, personally, it was a dream come true, something I can check off my bucket list.”

The team won all five games against Taiwan and then took three out of five from Japan before traveling to Havana. Team USA won the first three games to win the series against Cuba for the fourth consecutive summer.

Catcher Adley Rutschman (Oregon State) finished an excellent campaign by going 5-for-12 in Cuba, walking three times and driving in two runs. Overall, Rutschman led all Team USA hitters with a .355 batting average.

Mainieri raved about Rutschman, who joined the team late following the Beavers’ national championship run at the College World Series. Rutschman came to Team USA for the final two series and quickly made an impact.

“Adley is one of those guys that’s just got the 'it' factor to the nth degree,” Mainieri said. “When he joined our team following the Taiwan series he just brought so much to our team from an ability standpoint as a hitter and a catcher and as a leader. He’s cut right out of central casting. He’s got everything you look for in a ballplayer and a person.

“He made us better in a lot of ways. I think he picked everyone up around him. He was a true leader of our team. He caught great, hit great from both sides of the plate and he was a great manager of the pitching staff along with (Virginia head coach) Brian O’Connor. If I was a general manager of a team, I would have a tough time passing on him next year in the draft.”

Outfielder Daniel Cabrera (Louisiana State) and shortstop Bryson Stott (Nevada-Las Vegas) were two of the other offensive standouts for Team USA. Cabrera, a sophomore, led the team in home runs (two) and finished second in RBIs with six. Stott raised his prospect status with an impressive summer both at the plate and at shortstop. He hit .262/.340/.333 and made several highlight-reel plays, showing impressive defensive ability.

“A lot of our success was due to the way Bryson Stott played defensively for us,” Mainieri said. “By the second half he was swinging extremely well. I think Bryson did himself an awful lot of good in the way he improved and to catch the eye of the pro scouting world.”

Team USA received solid pitching performances all summer. As a team, they posted a 2.06 ERA and held opponents to a .184 batting average. Lefthander Mason Feole (Connecticut) was one of the stars on the mound. In three appearances, he pitched 11 innings, allowed just three hits and no runs and struck out nine batters. Lefthander Drew Parrish (Florida State) and righthander Zack Hess(LSU) were similarly strong, with neither pitcher allowing a run. Parrish struck out eight batters and walked just one in 10.1 innings of work, while Hess led the team with two wins and pitched nine innings across three appearances.

Closer Max Meyer (Minnesota) and lefthander Graeme Stinson (Duke) were part of an excellent bullpen for Team USA. Meyer, a sophomore, saved seven games and struck out 15 batters in eight innings. Stinson, a junior, struck out 10 batters in six innings and scattered two hits and five walks.

It was quite a run for the collegiate national team, and although Mainieri wishes his squad had won every game, he was happy with the results.

“I wish we would have won all 15 games,” Mainieri said. “But we won all three series, beat the Cuban National Team three-of-four in Cuba. The Japan team, man they were a tough team to beat. I have so much respect for the way they play the game. The pitching Japan threw at us was almost shocking to me how quality it was. It was successful results-wise, but mostly it was successful because the young men had an experience that they’ll never forget.”

Kind of interesting that Barefoot went undrafted this year. I'm pretty sure that means that he technically can still sign with any team that has bonus space left, or just for the $125k. I wonder if any teams have talked to him after the big Cape he had. 

Edited by GenericUserName

• 4 weeks later...

MLB Pipeline came out with its post-summer top 10 for college prospects:

1. Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State

2. Andrew Vaughn,1B, Cal

3. Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson

4. Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor

5. Nick Lodolo, LHP, TCU

Rutschman seems to be in a class of his own currently among the college players. Vaughn seems like one of the better pure college hitters in the draft over the past few years, but his lack of defensive value might make him a reach in the top 5.  

Edited by maggsmaggs

2 hours ago, maggsmaggs said:

MLB Pipeline came out with its post-summer top 10 for college prospects:

1. Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State

2. Andrew Vaughn,1B, Cal

3. Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson

4. Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor

5. Nick Lodolo, LHP, TCU

Rutschman seems to be in a class of his own currently among the college players. Vaughn seems like one of the better pure college hitters in the draft over the past few years, but his lack of defensive value might make him a reach in the top 5.  

That is what they said about Frank.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Still hoping the Sox somehow end up with Rutschman. I really feel like he has a chance to be one of those franchise changing players.

If he really is a franchise changing player, then he probably doesn't get past #1.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic