2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

People were just as sure about Carlos Rodon at this point in 2013. Hopefully this goes exactly like that minus the injuries.

The overall consensus was Rodon was going #1. I'm not sure that's the consensus now in regards to Rutschman. I've seen a few mocks without him going #1- Witt, Barco, Langeliers, etc.

All I'm saying is if he's franchise changing, he's going #1.

6 hours ago, MnSoxFan said:

That is what they said about Frank.

Vaughn looks quite a bit different though (he is only 5'11"). The redeeming thing for him is that he might actually be able to play a corner outfield, especially for the Sox who seem to be much more lenient in defensive projection. 

My guy who I think will be available at our pick is CJ Abrams. I feel like he is very similar to Royce Lewis from a few years ago. His only weakness seems to be strength, but he has the frame to project more. He might be iffy at short right now, but give him time and he can probably clean it up and if not he would most likely easily be a plus defender in center with his speed. Witt seems more similar to Brendan Rodgers in that he has good speed that might slow down once he adds more weight, good power especially for short but a questionable hit tool that makes the whole profile volatile. I bet he still goes in the top 3 though because some team will fall in love with his upside, so he will likely be gone before the Sox pick if we keep winning at our recent pace. 

A lot can change until next year. At this stage usually HS guys are at the top (two years ago Greene, last year de sedas) but the weeks before the draft the HS guys fall and college performers raise.

The fact that a college guy leads the pack increases his chance to stay there vs a HS pick (change of guys like witt falling is much higher) but he still needs to perform and stay healthy or he could drop a lot.

But yeah if he performs (300+ with 15 homers) he has a great chance of staying at the top but he needs to do that first.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, Dam8610 said:

Still hoping the Sox somehow end up with Rutschman. I really feel like he has a chance to be one of those franchise changing players.

How many franchise changing catchers have there been in MLB history?  5? 10?  Catcher is a physically demanding position that wears players out quickly.  Catchers also have basically no hope of playing more than 120 or so games, making their impact even more limited.   Maybe Rutschman is one of those players, and honestly  I've only seen him play 2 or 3 games, so I don't know, but I feel like it is extremely doubtful.

if its 6-8 that is fine as long as we're seeing the kids develop. Additionally I just want the pick to be protected and the sox to spend real money this off season. The sox tentative payroll before ARBis roughly 18-19M that is not including ARB raises for (Abreu, Avisail, Yolmer, Leury, Xavier & Rodon). I figure they'll opt out of the club option for Jones and Shields will be bought out.

With out exaggeration they could easily afford to sign 3 of the top free agents in Machado, Corbin and Grandal at a combined AAV of $70M and be fine, that doesn't even come close to hitting their all time high of 142 in '16.

13 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Rather develop guys now than get a higher pick

+1. The Tank is over. That said, I'd like for the Sox to start going for high upside HS talent starting in 2020. The upper levels are full of prospects, they should start looking for guys that could help fill in spots and be trade chips 2-4 seasons down the road. This season, I'd like them to target some LHP with the ability to start. They're pretty thin there. Medeiros/Pilkington is a good start, but they could do better. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

+1. The Tank is over. That said, I'd like for the Sox to start going for high upside HS talent starting in 2020. The upper levels are full of prospects, they should start looking for guys that could help fill in spots and be trade chips 2-4 seasons down the road. This season, I'd like them to target some LHP with the ability to start. They're pretty thin there. Medeiros/Pilkington is a good start, but they could do better. 

Absolutely...Think Hahn would have loved to grab HS talent early if Madrigal and Walker didn't present themselves, drafting from HS is pretty key to sustaining a strong farm system (along with INTL signings and obviously development)

14 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Absolutely...Think Hahn would have loved to grab HS talent early if Madrigal and Walker didn't present themselves, drafting from HS is pretty key to sustaining a strong farm system (along with INTL signings and obviously development)

This draft was very college heavy up front, which is what was said about it going into it.  Things might change down the line, but the highest rated talent was coming out of college this past year.  But that also didn't stop them from grabbing some HS kids later on.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, beautox said:

With out exaggeration they could easily afford to sign 3 of the top free agents in Machado, Corbin and Grandal at a combined AAV of $70M and be fine, that doesn't even come close to hitting their all time high of 142 in '16.

That would be a team I would be excited to watch in 2019, and one that, with the continued development of the pitching staff, would have a good shot at the playoffs. Also, what's the breakdown on that? $35/$20/$15?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FG updated their draft rankings for 2019, 2020, and 2021, though the last two are smaller updates. They also got a nifty new prospect-centric page at fangraphs.com/prospects

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fall-equinox-draft-board-update/

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-mlb-draft

They have Rutschman as the lone 55 FV right now, but they have 11 other 50 FV guys right now. It seems like the two HS hitters they are highest on are CJ Abrams and Corbin Carroll. I said earlier I thought we would take Abrams, but I could see us taking Carroll because he has been good all summer but he is a little undersized. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My too early look at possible draft picks who might be available 3-5 in order of my personal preference...

Vaughn - Cal 1B is a generational batsman who was Golden Spikes winner in 2018 (beating out Madrigal and others). Was also Pac 10 all-defense first team. Puts up rediculous numbers (i.e. more HRs than SOs and 800plus SP).

Witt - HS SS is among several SS prospects with early first round potential. For me, Witt appears best of bunch.

Stewart - RH pitcher who shunned Braves and will likely reenter 2019 draft. Crazy spin rate on breaking ball with mid-90s heat and 6' 6" frame.

Rauschman - whats not to like? SH catcher with power, canon arm and demonstrable leadership skills. Likely 1.1 if he repeats 2018 performance. 

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

My too early look at possible draft picks who might be available 3-5 in order of my personal preference...

Vaughn - Cal 1B is a generational batsman who was Golden Spikes winner in 2018 (beating out Madrigal and others). Was also Pac 10 all-defense first team. Puts up rediculous numbers (i.e. more HRs than SOs and 800plus SP).

Witt - HS SS is among several SS prospects with early first round potential. For me, Witt appears best of bunch.

Stewart - RH pitcher who shunned Braves and will likely reenter 2019 draft. Crazy spin rate on breaking ball with mid-90s heat and 6' 6" frame.

Rauschman - whats not to like? SH catcher with power, canon arm and demonstrable leadership skills. Likely 1.1 if he repeats 2018 performance. 

Vaughn will likely be the best college bat in this draft, and based on numbers, one of the better college bats in recent memory. Most reports indicate that he will be relegated to being a first baseman. Therein lies the rub. Can you draft a first baseman with the No. 3 overall pick? His sophomore year stats are very similar to Frank Thomas' junior year stats, and well, I think we would take Frank Thomas with the No. 3 pick. He will be an interesting case study.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic