2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Vaughn will likely be the best college bat in this draft, and based on numbers, one of the better college bats in recent memory. Most reports indicate that he will be relegated to being a first baseman. Therein lies the rub. Can you draft a first baseman with the No. 3 overall pick? His sophomore year stats are very similar to Frank Thomas' junior year stats, and well, I think we would take Frank Thomas with the No. 3 pick. He will be an interesting case study.

Agreed. He looks like the 1B version of Mike Trout. I'd hate to pass up the bat because of position, even if he is also good with the leather at 1B. I'd consider Rauschman if available but Vaughn is gonna make an impact.

Longenhagen has doubts wether Witt will hit ( no pun inteded). He said plus fielder with good power but has shown contact trouble against better fastballs missing some fastballs over the plate and might ultimately be a 240 hitter.

If that is true I would like the Orioles who have hired a relative of witt to overdraft him. I'm not against HS hitters but I don't like getting a HS guy with question marks about the hit tool.

I'm not ruling him out but HS competition is very weak and how he does against the average 76 mph HS starter doesn't tell much, watch very closely how he does against 90+ in the big showcases. IF he hits 450 in HS but shifts a ton in showcases I would stay away.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

Is there anything about the pitching in the PAC 12 that diminishes Vaughn's numbers? They are astounding. A home run in every 8.6 at bats. 23 homers and 18 strike outs!!!! A 9% strike out rate. 63 RBI's in 54 games. Yikes!! I don't care what position he plays, and oddly enough the Sox don't really have that much depth at that position. If he has another big year, In 2019, and if he's available at #3, it's hard to imagine passing on that kind of bat. 

I really don't give a shit what position you play if you can hit. But it does help that we have no future at 1B currently and we need as many power bats as we can especially ones that don't strike out often. 

But at this point I feel like we need another pitcher that has a chance to be a TOR type of guy. Kopech's future is up in the air with TJS, Gio & Lopez have shown they will be at best #3 guys, Cease is as close as we have right now to a #1.

In the end the best player available needs to be selected

I'm not sure I love a 5"11 first baseman at 3rd overall. Not totally against it but the typical elite first baseman is 6"2 plus.

Now he did perform in both power and average and his swing doesn't look bad

But I'm not sure it is elite batspeed and at 5"11, 210 he is really physically maxed out. Also right handed hitting first baseman which some don't like.

I agree he could be an elite hitter and then I don't care he is a 5"11 first but if the power backs up a little with wood which sounds reasonable given his maxed out frame and his good but not huge raw power 3rd might be a slight reach.

Watch his final season closely, if he hits even better than last year I might take a shot but if he backs up only a little I might prefer a higher upside player.

Question is if he really is a 70/70 hitter or more of a 60 hit/60 power which is still great but not at 3 for his position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I'm not sure I love a 5"11 first baseman at 3rd overall. Not totally against it but the typical elite first baseman is 6"2 plus.

But I'm not sure it is elite batspeed and at 5"11, 210 he is really physically maxed out. Also right handed hitting first baseman which some don't like.

I agree he could be an elite hitter and then I don't care he is a 5"11 first but if the power backs up a little with wood which sounds reasonable given his maxed out frame and his good but not huge raw power 3rd might be a slight reach.

Watch his final season closely, if he hits even better than last year I might take a shot but if he backs up only a little I might prefer a higher upside player.

Question is if he really is a 70/70 hitter or more of a 60 hit/60 power which is still great but not at 3 for his position.

You may be right about his power not being quite as outstanding as it appears, based on last year's output. However, his .400 average, .531 OBP, with just 18 strike outs, argue for a very complete hitter. How many college guys ever have that kind of run production, while almost never striking out? To me, the best comp might be Joey Votto, from the right side of the plate. 

4 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

This is a fantastic post, and highlights my concerns. Great hitters are always valuable, but the history of college first baseman is not good

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a fantastic post, and highlights my concerns. Great hitters are always valuable, but the history of college first baseman is not good

does this guy have extra strong wrists? The real Dick Allen had tremendous power because of strength in hands and wrists, not size 5' 11" 175.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

does this guy have extra strong wrists? The real Dick Allen had tremendous power because of strength in hands and wrists, not size 5' 11" 175.

He's listed at 5' 11" 215 lbs. I get the knock against short (ish) 1Basemen (doesn't bother me in least). Frankly, I would prefer a LH glove at first. That said, if this kid puts up similar numbers in 2019 as '18, I don't know how WS or anyone can pass on him. 

I definitely can see him succeeding but he is a college first baseman and even for a college 1b drafted that high his profile is not really standard, you would a tall projectable athlete like hosmer there.

Now I'm not saying he can't succeed but that is a lot of betting on his polish when facing better pitching with wood.

Watch him closely and especially how he does against weekend starters of good teams and not just overall stat line.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I would go:

1) Rutschman

2) Vaughn

3) Jung

As we sit here today, I could flip coin between Rutschman and Vaughn and I'd swap Witt for Jung. Don't really see any pitchers I'd take at 3 yet and lower minors are rich in OFs so I'd be focused on IF.  

One guy I like now is CJ Abrams. He very much reminds me of Royce Lewis in that he is an extremely athletic guy who is playing SS but many think he will end up in center, but like Royce he could end up being a really solid SS once he specializes more. From my looks at him and from scouting reports it seems like he has a great hit tool for his age and near top of the scale speed, but might be missing some of the power, but if I have to take a guy with power and hope he grows into a hit tool (Witt) or a guy with a good hit tool and hope he grows into power (Abrams), I am taking the second guy all day especially with the juiced ball and small guys like Mookie hitting 30 homers a year.

Way too early to predict BUT CWS will be bringing in yet another elite prospect...As of now my favorite top guy is Rutschman

Would love to steal Auburn SS Will Holland in R2 too but have feeling he'll go higher

My favorite NCAA arm has to be Dalatri from UNC if he's ready to sign

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic