2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, Quinarvy said:

Hoping the Orioles take Witt, leaving the two catchers for the Sox.

Granted this could all change in a year.

That's the most important part. I hope we get Adley, but only if he actually plays himself in to top 3 consideration next season. If he slumps and projects in the mid-1st RD, then I would against the pick.

That being said, I think the idea of Madrigal and Rutschman playing together for a long time would be amazing.

• Like 1

Vaughn won the Golden Spikes Player of the Year Award, as a sophomore. If he has a junior year anything close to last year, he'll be my pick, if he makes it to #3.

The most intriguing thing to me is that he only struck out 18 times, while hitting 23 homers. I don't care if he hits a few less round trippers, as long as he continues to not strike out. After this season's horrible team strike out total, having Madrigal and Vaughn in a future lineup would be a refreshing change. 

Here is something to think about: He also pitched and is reputed to be an outstanding defensive first baseman. One has to wonder if he could play third. He has the arm and good hands. Whether, or not, he has the quickness, needed for the hot corner, is uncertain, but it's worth considering.

I just searched images of him and I am surprised to see how small he looks. I thought that he would be a stronger looking guy, even if he is only reported to be 5' 11". Frankly, I doubt that he's that tall. He must have very strong hands and wrist. We'll, if Mookie Betts, Bregman and Jose Ramirez can hit all of those home runs, I guess maybe it doesn't matter. None of them are big guys either.

Edited by Lillian

Going to treat this one as the official draft thread I suppose? Via Kiley Chat today.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-10-1-18/

11:28

Draft20/80: Who helped themselves the most on the cape this year? Vaughan?

Kiley McDaniel: That’s Cal 1B Andrew Vaughn. He was already gonna be top 20 if he skipped the summer, so he didn’t gain that much ground. Here’s our draft rankings for reference

Kiley McDaniel: UNC RF/1B Michael Busch made some ground, working into that top tier of corner bats when it wasn’t clear he was tehre

11:29

Kiley McDaniel: Vandy RF JJ Bleday, Stanford RF/1B Kyle Stowers and Creighton RF Will Robertson all showed better than was expected and made some money on the Cape

Edited by DirtySox

11:58

2nd pick: Abrams, Jones or Witt Jr. Right now, who ya got and why?

11:59

Kiley McDaniel: Abrams, then Greg Jones then Witt, but close enough that could flip by April. Discussed this a lot in podcast #3 and there’s timestamps so you can jump right to it: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-audio-presents-the-untitled-…

You want a first baseman who can save throwing errors by picking short hops. It would be a nice bonus if he provided a big target and ideally, glove hand on second base side (somewhat mitigated by todays defensive shifting). Vaughn was a HS SS and 1st team all PAC 12 defense at first. Guessing if he was 6'2" or above there would be little chance he falls to #3 assuming his bat repeats in 2019.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

You want a first baseman who can save throwing errors by picking short hops. It would be a nice bonus if he provided a big target and ideally, glove hand on second base side (somewhat mitigated by todays defensive shifting). Vaughn was a HS SS and 1st team all PAC 12 defense at first. Guessing if he was 6'2" or above there would be little chance he falls to #3 assuming his bat repeats in 2019.

I didn't know that he was a HS SS. That suggests that he could play 3RD base. He has the arm, as he also has pitched.

Would love to see him and Madrigal man the right side and be tough outs at top of lineup. Of course I would mind seeing Adley either although I feel organizationally we have better options at catcher right now than 1B. Right now its looking like Sheets and Collins as 1B options.

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Would love to see him and Madrigal man the right side and be tough outs at top of lineup. Of course I would mind seeing Adley either although I feel organizationally we have better options at catcher right now than 1B. Right now its looking like Sheets and Collins as 1B options.

That's a great thought. Madrigal leading off and Vaughn hitting second, followed by Moncada and Eloy. If Moncada becomes the hitter we hoped for, that would be terrific OBP, at the top of the order. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Or Eloy Jimenez if enough OFs develop.

I just don't know how anyone could not be chomping at the bit for a switch hitting C who hit ~.400 in his sophomore season, saw a huge power surge late in the season, including practically carrying his team to the CWS title, and oh by the way, plays great defense as well. That pretty much sums up Adley Rutschman.

40 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I just don't know how anyone could not be chomping at the bit for a switch hitting C who hit ~.400 in his sophomore season, saw a huge power surge late in the season, including practically carrying his team to the CWS title, and oh by the way, plays great defense as well. That pretty much sums up Adley Rutschman.

If Rutschman performs that well again, one of two things will happen: Either 1) he goes top 2 or 2) he doesn't because most view him as a 1B because he's such a good hitter and he goes mid-late 1st because nobody wants to pick a 1B that high, and teams feel his usefulness will be hampered by the physical demands of C. 

41 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I'm guessing he will be gone by #3 for the reasons you cite. If he is still available, it probably means he regressed or got hurt. If neither, he'd be very hard to pass up. 

One more note about Vaughn; He seems like another Madrigal, but with power, instead of speed. He's a life long baseball junkie. Has dedicated his whole life to playing the game. He is an over achiever and is remarkably adept at making contact. Add a high baseball acumen, just like Nick. All in all, my kind of player. I'm going to be rooting for this guy to have another big year and then to be there, for the Sox' 3RD pick. 

Here is another good video:

Edited by Lillian

At this way-too-early to speculate time, I’m having a hard time seeing how Rutschman falls to us.  A switch hitting catcher with good pop, a strong hit tool and adequate or better defense.  Then again Matt Wieters and buster posey had similar profiles and both lasted to #5 in average draft classes.  

That said, I’d be ecstatic if we got Vaughn if Rutcshman was already gone.  I get the whole not wanting to draft a 1B so early but you also can’t talk yourself out of picking up the best hitter in the entire class, no matter where he plays.  We had a kid from Auburn fall to us for that very reason a long while ago and that worked out pretty well...

1 hour ago, Dizzy Sox said:

At this way-too-early to speculate time, I’m having a hard time seeing how Rutschman falls to us.  A switch hitting catcher with good pop, a strong hit tool and adequate or better defense.  Then again Matt Wieters and buster posey had similar profiles and both lasted to #5 in average draft classes.  

That said, I’d be ecstatic if we got Vaughn if Rutcshman was already gone.  I get the whole not wanting to draft a 1B so early but you also can’t talk yourself out of picking up the best hitter in the entire class, no matter where he plays.  We had a kid from Auburn fall to us for that very reason a long while ago and that worked out pretty well...

Teams do stupid things. Rodon was the far-and-away consensus #1 for 2014 after his sophomore year, then teams fell in love with Kolek's arm and Aiken's ceiling, which was only slightly higher than a more proven Rodon.

Rodon has had some bumps along the way, but he should have been a no-brainer at #1 and has been universes better than Kolek and Aiken.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic