2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

46 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Teams do stupid things. Rodon was the far-and-away consensus #1 for 2014 after his sophomore year, then teams fell in love with Kolek's arm and Aiken's ceiling, which was only slightly higher than a more proven Rodon.

Rodon has had some bumps along the way, but he should have been a no-brainer at #1 and has been universes better than Kolek and Aiken.

The contract negotiations surrounding these picks has also taken on a lot more importance in an effort to try to utilize cap space later in the draft.  Don't discount that motivation when a team is deciding who to pick.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he is playing 1B in college, there is probably a good reason for it.

Yes, college is much more generous about defense. Almost no college players play up a position in pro ball and in fact many college 3b move to first. He is a first baseman.

I would watch him very closely this year against the good starters. To draft him 3rd overall you at least have to project the bat as a 70 which is a big thing.

But if he continues to hit 400 with 20 bombs and not much worse against top starters I would be open to take him. I would be careful though if he batted 500 against weak starters and 290 against the good ones. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The contract negotiations surrounding these picks has also taken on a lot more importance in an effort to try to utilize cap space later in the draft.  Don't discount that motivation when a team is deciding who to pick.

What are you saying?  Avoid Boros clients, which Rodon was ?  Not that I disagree with that premise, just asking.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

What are you saying?  Avoid Boros clients, which Rodon was ?  Not that I disagree with that premise, just asking.

Some teams have cut under slot deals in an effort to save money to overdraft players in later rounds. 

On 10/2/2018 at 3:07 AM, Lillian said:

One more note about Vaughn; He seems like another Madrigal, but with power, instead of speed. He's a life long baseball junkie. Has dedicated his whole life to playing the game. He is an over achiever and is remarkably adept at making contact. Add a high baseball acumen, just like Nick. All in all, my kind of player. I'm going to be rooting for this guy to have another big year and then to be there, for the Sox' 3RD pick. 

Here is another good video:

Torkelson was a monster last season for ASU as a freshman.  I'd take Vaughn in a heartbeat.  Not really concerned about his 5-11 frame.  Hell...Steve Garvey was what? 5-10"?

Do you think carter Stewart could fall to the sox second pick?

I wouldn't go Stewart at 3 because of the arm risk but if you can spin a deal with the third pick maybe you can maybe get Stewart on an overslot deal. In the second round he definitely would be worth the risk but not sure he falls that far. 

If he falls past 15 the chance is good he falls into the overslot second pick range.

16 hours ago, tray said:

I watched the College World Series this year. Adley Rutschman was amazing.  If he is there, I would take him without question.  I'm guessing he might be another Fisk - a durable big catcher who can hit.

I don't disagree...and yet Vaughn was the Pac 12 player of the year and Golden Spikes winner (best player in nation) over Rutschman, Madrigal and Larnach among others.

https://www.mlb.com/news/these-were-milbs-biggest-surprise-performers/c-296924392?tid=151437456

Assuming no injuries or regression from Witt and Rutschmann, what player is most likely to thrust himself into any 1-1 or 1-2 discussion next year?

Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman and Colleyville (Texas) Heritage High shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. are the leading college and prep prospects eight months from the 2019 Draft. A lot can and will change in that time, however. Just look at a year ago, when Florida right-hander Brady Singer and Santiago High (Corona, Calif.) Brice Turang were in the same position Rutschman and Witt are now, yet went 18th and 21st overall in the 2018 Draft.

The player most likely to push his way into consideration for one of the top two picks in 2019 is Blessed Trinity Catholic High (Roswell, Ga.) shortstop CJ Abrams. He has game-changing speed, hitting ability along with power potential, plus the ability to play quality defense at shortstop or center field. He's similar to Twins shortstop Royce Lewis, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 Draft.

Three more names to watch, one from each of the other college/high school and hitter/pitcher demographics: California first baseman Andrew Vaughn, Duke left-hander Graeme Stinson and Georgia Premier Academy (Statesboro, Ga.) right-hander Daniel Espino.

So much is going to change. It’s really hard to take any ranking seriously at this point — more useful just to compile names to watch. 

From what I’ve read regarding Langeliers, he is as defensively advanced as Rutschman and has pop, but less athletic and far less bat, making his offensive upside a full tick lower. It sounds to me like a Zunino comp. 

Vaughn...

• Started all 54 games at first base and hit .402, a mark that ranked third in Cal single-season history.
  • Hit 23 home runs to equal the Cal single-season record set by Xavier Nady in 1999. Finished the regular season second in the country in the category.
  • Set a Cal single-season record with an .819 slugging percentage.
  • Also had 63 RBIs, 44 walks, 12 HBP and struck out only 18 times.
  • Ranked fourth in the nation in on-base percentage (.531) at the conclusion of the regular season.
  • Reached base safely in each of the final 35 games of the season and only failed to reach base in two of Cal's 54 games.
  • Also a premier defender at first base, Vaughn earned Pac-12 All-Defensive team honors with a .992 fielding percentage.

11 hours ago, Flash said:

Vaughn...

• Started all 54 games at first base and hit .402, a mark that ranked third in Cal single-season history.
  • Hit 23 home runs to equal the Cal single-season record set by Xavier Nady in 1999. Finished the regular season second in the country in the category.
  • Ranked fourth in the nation in on-base percentage (.531) at the conclusion of the regular season.
  • Reached base safely in each of the final 35 games of the season and only failed to reach base in two of Cal's 54 games.
  • Also a premier defender at first base, Vaughn earned Pac-12 All-Defensive team honors with a .992 fielding percentage.

Wow he had almost as many HBP as strike outs. Its one thing to have more walks than strike outs but HBP that's impressive.

18 hours ago, DirtySox said:

CJ Abrams. Posted some publications notes on him in the 2019 draft thread.

Saw that, liked it, and love the name. That's a name you can believe in for a baseball player.

14 hours ago, Flash said:

Vaughn...

This all makes me want Vaughn now (If Adley isn't available).  A college hitter with good D seems like someone who would rise fast to the MLB too

On 10/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, cjgalloway said:

This all makes me want Vaughn now (If Adley isn't available).  A college hitter with good D seems like someone who would rise fast to the MLB too

pretty much where I'm at too.  I think Rutschman will be taken at #2 anyway...so I'd be ecstatic with Vaughn honestly.  Dude can rake...

Edited by Wanne

I’d like to know if there is a scouting grade on Vaughn’s glove. Like in the pros a good bat can help you get a gold glove. I think Jake Burger was Defensive Player of the Year in the MVC. 

Edited by Baker

Going to post this here as well:

We all make fun of the Astros for picking Aiken in 2014, but if they would have taken Rodon, the Sox would have probably taken Nola. Of those two pitchers, handedness not withstanding, which would you rather have now? I thought so. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:38 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Some teams have cut under slot deals in an effort to save money to overdraft players in later rounds. 

What are a bunch of examples of this.  Schwarber at 4 is the only obvious one I can think of.  Does this really happen all the time like some make it seem?  And are there examples of the underslot-then-overslot producing an overslot gem in later rounds all because of the underslot at the top of the draft?

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

What are a bunch of examples of this.  Schwarber at 4 is the only obvious one I can think of.  Does this really happen all the time like some make it seem?  And are there examples of the underslot-then-overslot producing an overslot gem in later rounds all because of the underslot at the top of the draft?

The Astros did it a couple of times. The Aiken disaster and the Daz Cameron year. This is also how the Cubs fit in for Cease.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Carlos Correa savings into Lance McCullers was a big one in 2012 for the Astros. While it might not seem like it now, Correa was a bit of a reach and a surprise for 1-1 at the time.

Edited by DirtySox

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic