2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, beautox said:

My hope is similar to Rodon; Rutschman gets prospect fatigue and the O's and Royals get cute and focus on HS bats and more $ to spread down draft.

Same hope here. I can see With going above him - need someone else to sneak ahead.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are there any pitchers who have the ability / stuff to pull a Mize and shoot up to the top of the draft?  I think that’s our best chance (along with some Witt helium) for Rutschman to drop to us.

I'm sure someone will heat up during the season like always but the top level pitching looks very thin for this draft. It'll be interesting as well because of how deep this class appears to be on bats how KC and the O's view their farms and how best to use their pool. Rutschman is supposedly on a similar path as Madrigal where he won't need a lot of time in the minors. Both teams picking ahead of us might be better served reaching a bit and adding a draft class that has a similar timeline to the show. 

I don't see a pitcher shooting up to the top3. Usually top pitchers are talked there early, they might fall but don't rise usually. 

pitchers often fall and HS bats often fall too (see de sedas last draft).

If college bats are on top already they probably stay there unless they totally flop or get hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

From Law's chat today, regarding pick 1.1

Chip
1:05
Does Houston's recent draft history (hitting big w/Correa and Bregman and lots of hope for Tucker, missing on Appel and Aiken for various reasons) inform us at all as to what Elias likely does at 1/1? How does Rutschman compare to Wieters?

Keith Law
1:07
I don't think it informs anything. There's no consensus #1 (not Rutschman, not Witt Jr.) and they may simply try to cut the best deal among the pool of candidates and then try to go over slot multiple times with later picks, as the Astros did in the Correa year, and the Phillies and Twins did in '16 and '17.

42 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

From Law's chat today, regarding pick 1.1

Chip
1:05
Does Houston's recent draft history (hitting big w/Correa and Bregman and lots of hope for Tucker, missing on Appel and Aiken for various reasons) inform us at all as to what Elias likely does at 1/1? How does Rutschman compare to Wieters?

Keith Law
1:07
I don't think it informs anything. There's no consensus #1 (not Rutschman, not Witt Jr.) and they may simply try to cut the best deal among the pool of candidates and then try to go over slot multiple times with later picks, as the Astros did in the Correa year, and the Phillies and Twins did in '16 and '17.

That would be sick if that happened so Witt or Rutschman would be available for the Sox at #3.

Just now, DirtySox said:

BA's top 100 draft prospects for the 2019 class is up. Maybe this can briefly distract me from Machado-mania.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-mlb-draft-prospects/

Looks like it's pay-walled. I'll share the top 10 in list format.

1.) Adley Rutschman

2.) Bobby Witt Jr.

3.) C.J. Abrams

4.) Andrew Vaughn

5.) Riley Greene

6.) Shea Langeliers

7.) Corbin Carroll

8.) Josh Jung

9.) Graeme Stinson

10.) Brennan Malone

There are also brief write-ups on players if anyone has interest in specific ones. Carter Stewart is number 15 since I know someone is going to ask about him.

41 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Looks like it's pay-walled. I'll share the top 10 in list format.

There are also brief write-ups on players if anyone has interest in specific ones. Carter Stewart is number 15 since I know someone is going to ask about him.

Vaughn and Carroll, please.

2 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Vaughn and Carroll, please.

4. Andrew Vaughn

California 1B

Notes:

Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 214 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Scouting Report: The 2018 Golden Spikes award winner, Vaughn put up one of the best offensive campaigns in Cal’s history, with a .402/.531/.819 slash line and 23 home runs—tying the Cal record previously set by Xavier Nady in 1999. He had a quiet summer with the Collegiate National Team, but scouts and coaches alike rave about Vaughn’s feel to hit, which is coupled with a preternatural feel for the strike zone and tremendous raw power. He’s walked 63 times compared to 42 strikeouts in two seasons with Cal, and he’s also a solid defender at first base. Vaughn should get drafted near the top of the first round as he is arguably the best all-around hitter in the 2019 draft class.

7. Corbin Carroll

Lakeside HS, Seattle OF

Notes:

School: Lakeside HS, Seattle
Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 160 | B-T: L-L
Commit: UCLA
Scouting Report: Carroll established himself as one of the best pure bats in the class over the summer after dominating at the plate in every high-profile event he attended. The 5-foot-9, 165-pound outfielder has a quick, balanced swing and a terrific feel for the barrel, as well as a keen understanding of the strike zone and a patient approach in the lefthanded batter’s box. Carroll is more than willing to take a walk and then cause havoc on the bases as a plus runner, but he also has sneaky pop in his bat that allows him to hit for extra bases. Defensively, Carroll projects to stick in center field and be a solid defender there. Add everything up and there are no real holes in Carroll’s game—unless you want to nitpick his size. He is committed to UCLA.

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I also think it will be vaughn unless rutschman falls to them because they want a quick moving bat because it fits their window better than a hs bat which might take 4 years to reach the majors.

Vaughn makes sense and has a reasonable chance but let's also not make official guesses until we see how the season plays out.

I wouldn’t rule out a high school player at all for the Sox. Regardless if they sign Machado/Harper, is probably the last time they’ll be picking this high in the draft. If they think Abrams or Carroll have a monster ceiling, I think they’ll bet on the ceiling and pick one of them. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wouldn’t rule out a high school player at all for the Sox. Regardless if they sign Machado/Harper, is probably the last time they’ll be picking this high in the draft. If they think Abrams or Carroll have a monster ceiling, I think they’ll bet on the ceiling and pick one of them. 

The last time we said "This is probably the last time we'll be picking this high" was the 2014-2015 draft picks, ending with Fulmer. That statement makes alarm bells go off in the back of my mind.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, Balta1701 said:

Vaughn makes sense and has a reasonable chance but let's also not make official guesses until we see how the season plays out.

Yup. No reason to make statements like "It's got to be XX" or "We better take XX at that pick". We have no idea how this college season will play out. All I click those early mocks drafts are is to see the names and read the blurbs about each guy. I really hope Vaughn isn't the BPA at #3, but I have no reason to be worried yet.

Speaking of the college season, David Appleman discussed on a recent Fangraphs Audio that FG will be adding college baseball stats this season, like as the season goes on. No idea if that will include any advanced metrics, but that will be nice to have an easy place to track that stuff.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

11 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Speaking of the college season, David Appleman discussed on a recent Fangraphs Audio that FG will be adding baseball stats this season, like as the season goes on. No idea if that will include any advanced metrics, but that will be nice to have an easy place to track that stuff.

That would be so nice. Its such a pain going through all the different team sites to find stats. I guess they all use one of like three different systems, so it might not be that difficult for them to make a program that automatically updates so its really hands off. 

5 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

That would be so nice. Its such a pain going through all the different team sites to find stats. I guess they all use one of like three different systems, so it might not be that difficult for them to make a program that automatically updates so its really hands off. 

I wonder if thinks like wRC+ and xFIP are possible for college stats, or if there is way too much variation in skill levels for it to be reliable.

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I thought Baseball Cube did college stats?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic