2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

42 minutes ago, fathom said:

Didn’t want the Sox in on him anyways.  Hope he recovers though.  Vaughn with a big start to the season.

Agreed. I did just find another guy I want, though not as a first rounder. Gabe Holt out of Texas Tech is a sophomore eligible middle infielder who kind of reminds me of Trea Turner and has the stats to match.

Edit: Looks like Holt has been playing CF and RF mostly this year. So he has the versatility of Turner too haha.

Edited by GenericUserName

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Didn’t want the Sox in on him anyways.  Hope he recovers though.  Vaughn with a big start to the season.

I don't think this drops his stock all that much. If he shows progress with the hit tool while still being a superb defensive catcher, he's still a top of the first candidate imo.

I'm pretty sure at this point the sox will stick with their college bat approach and probably again double up in round 1 and 2.

Rutschman with a big start, if he keeps it up he will probably not fall, the only chance he falls is a longer slump or some injury. You can't really pass up on him, he essentially seems to be the second best college bat while being a good defensive catcher. This will probably leave vaughn for the sox unless he gets snatched at 2.

6 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I'm pretty sure at this point the sox will stick with their college bat approach and probably again double up in round 1 and 2.

Rutschman with a big start, if he keeps it up he will probably not fall, the only chance he falls is a longer slump or some injury. You can't really pass up on him, he essentially seems to be the second best college bat while being a good defensive catcher. This will probably leave vaughn for the sox unless he gets snatched at 2.

Yeah...I don't see how he falls unless like was stated previously an arm or two shoots up the draft board.  Also...I'm not discounting Langeliers either.

My order of preference is:

1a: Adley Rutschman  1b: Andrew Vaughn  1c: Shea Langeliers

I just realized Andrew Vaughn put up better numbers last year, than Seth Beer did in his best season. I feel like the masses would be more gaga over him if he had a better name. :)  He's a super interesting follow this year. My most anticipated next to Misner.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I just realized Andrew Vaughn put up better numbers last year, than Seth Beer did in his best season. I feel like the masses would be more gaga over him if he had a better name. :)  He's a super interesting follow this year. My most anticipated next to Misner.

Seth beer also fell to the comp round.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yup. After two down years. The hype train was rolling hard after his freshman year though.

I think he was a little overranked though because he was a performer who stood out. Corner guys who perform often get overtaken late by other performers who can play the field.

don't forget beer's down years still were a 1100 ops with 20 homers compared to his 1250 in his fresh year.

I could see the same happen to vaughn if a good defensive OF posts a 1000+ ops and rises.

30 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Video of Vaughn's HR.

I don't know what to think with vaughn. It seems like a pretty good heuristic would be to avoid college 1b in the first round but then we have the greatest player in franchise history as a college 1b.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't know what to think with vaughn. It seems like a pretty good heuristic would be to avoid college 1b in the first round but then we have the greatest player in franchise history as a college 1b.

But he's got PINK hair...those zany liberals out in Haight-Asbury!!

18 hours ago, DirtySox said:

A lot of people were bummed we didn't get Benedenti in 2015 by one pick, Misner seems to have a quite similar skill set.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:10 PM, DirtySox said:

He might not even be the best hitter in the PAC12 this year.  ASU's Spencer Torkelson starts the season on a tear. 9-14...6-6 with runners in scoring position. 9 RBIs.  If Torkelson wasn't a sophomore...he'd be in this conversation right now as a top 5 pick IMO.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic