2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

42 minutes ago, Wanne said:

He might not even be the best hitter in the PAC12 this year.  ASU's Spencer Torkelson starts the season on a tear. 9-14...6-6 with runners in scoring position. 9 RBIs.  If Torkelson wasn't a sophomore...he'd be in this conversation right now as a top 5 pick IMO.

If we don't make any other additions to the roster, we might be picking top 5 in 2020 again anyway! Be careful with his numbers this year though. According to the fangraphs write up on him, ASU moved their fences in this year.

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Am I the only one that thinks we need a pitcher?

Are there just not good enough pitching prospects this year to warrant a top draft pick on?

I just don't think there is a guy there for it. Stinson seems to be the top guy now, but he might be a reliever, and then the other top guys seem to be a high school righty (Espino), which I would steer clear of the type, and Carter Stewart who had some issue last year so that is also kind of risky. I really think its another draft where the difference between the top of the board pitchers and the guys we could get in the second round isn't big enough to justify using the third pick on one.

21 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Am I the only one that thinks we need a pitcher?

Are there just not good enough pitching prospects this year to warrant a top draft pick on?

It's a weak college SP draft and I'm not particularly big on HS pitching this high (better value to be in 11-20 range.)

14 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

If we don't make any other additions to the roster, we might be picking top 5 in 2020 again anyway! Be careful with his numbers this year though. According to the fangraphs write up on him, ASU moved their fences in this year.

that's what's impressive tho...his 9-14 numbers...zero dingers. He was spraying the field with ropes. His first dinger was last night...and it was A BOMB! Would have left Rosenblatt and then some.

LHP Nick Lodolo (TCU) is a guy the industry has been waiting on to breakout.  He has everything you look for in a pitcher.  Frame, athleticism, arm action, delivery and stuff but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to put it all together.  Lefties take a little longer to develop and If he does he could be a top of the rotation guy.  Just not sure you want to take that risk at 1-3. 

Listening to the fangraphs podcast Eric mentioned that Hahn was at the Vandy game that was broadcast on mlb network. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that would be the game they played Virginia. JJ Bleday seems to be the only top 50 guy in that game, but there are also a couple other guys on the fangraphs draft board including UVA SS Tanner Morris, UVA CF Cameron Simmons, and Vandy C Phillip Clarke. There were also a couple 2020 and 2021 players and if went to other games at the tournament TCU and Cal Fullerton were there also.

• Thanks 1

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-mock-draft-early-predictions-for-the-top-10-picks/

The usual top 3 here, Adley 1 Witt 2 and Vaughn to the Sox at 3...However they do mention that it wouldn't be surprising  to see Abrams be the next player chosen after Adley (I'm holding out hope that the Sox can take him).  

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

LHP Nick Lodolo (TCU) is a guy the industry has been waiting on to breakout.  He has everything you look for in a pitcher.  Frame, athleticism, arm action, delivery and stuff but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to put it all together.  Lefties take a little longer to develop and If he does he could be a top of the rotation guy.  Just not sure you want to take that risk at 1-3. 

I don't think you can take a college pitcher at 3, not enough track record. If you take a college pitcher top3 it should be a "sure thing" like mize last year.  Even if a pitcher breaks out one year is imo not enough data to warrant a top 3 pick.

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-mock-draft-early-predictions-for-the-top-10-picks/

The usual top 3 here, Adley 1 Witt 2 and Vaughn to the Sox at 3...However they do mention that it wouldn't be surprising  to see Abrams be the next player chosen after Adley (I'm holding out hope that the Sox can take him).  

I'm for Abrams as well, take the high ceiling high school player.....

Some notes from the new FG UMP podcast for anyone who didn't have time to listen yet:

• Rutschmann is good. Like really good.
  • Vaughn is a top 5 player even though he has the worst profile (R/R 1B). Eric comped him to Paul Konerko. Said he might only be a 50 or 55 at max, but will get there quickly.
  • Bryson Stott has seemed to bounce back after a bad summer.
  • CJ Abrams put on some good weight and now might be a plus hit, plus power guy. Compared to Turang he probably has more hit, more speed, less defense. Might not be a shortstop, but can definitely play center or likely second. Still behind Rutschmann, but definitely in that next group with Witt and Vaughn now. KC had scouts at his games.
  • Quick hitters: Busch at UNC had a good first week; Toglia at UCLA did not; Stinson at Duke was down on his velo. Langliers should still be a first rounder even with the injury, but could drop.
  • Carter Stewart's velo was down. A scout had a really bad report on him. Also couldn't really throw strikes.
  • Matthew Thompson, HS P from Texas, had a major velo drop. It might just be the cold, but something to keep an eye on.
  • Wallner has a forearm issue so he is only DHing right now. Reports that some teams like him more as a pitcher, which seems to be an indictment on how bad his hit tool is.
  • Geore Kirby of Elon, Seth Johnson of Campbell, Jackson Rutledge of San Jacinto JC, Daniel Espino HS in Georgia are all pitchers whose stuff is up and could rise up draft boards, though none likely to the top 10 level.
  • There were a couple other pitchers mentioned, but seems mostly like guys between our first and second round picks, so I'm not going to write those.
  • Kiley mentioned Misner as a toolsy guy who could be a second rounder or top 10. Probably corner OF, but could play center in a pinch. Comp is Greyson Jenista with more upside. Range right now is 10-60.
  • Eric mentioned Hunter Bishop as another guy with a large range. Ultra toolsy, but limited production first two years.
Edited by GenericUserName

I saw him in the Northwoods a couple times. It's a little unorthodox with the open stance, high hands and high back elbow but he makes it work.  He's quick to the ball and make a lot of hard contact.  I wouldn't be upset if they take him at 1-3.  I think there are guys with higher ceilings but Stott has a nice combination of floor and ceiling. 

If vaughn really could become konerko that would be fantastic.

1b was one of the few positions of strength of the sox in the last 20 years and if they can get another one as good as konkerko and abreu that would be really good.

That might be only a 55 but even if it is only 3 war you still get a 125 OPS+ with 25-30 homers and solid obp.

My preference right now:

1) Adley

2) Vaughn

3) Riley Greene

4) CJ abrams 

Also really intrigued by Misner 

Obviously the dream would be to somehow get Adley but Witt and abrams would likely have to have amazing seasons for that to happen. Regardless, I'm excited about this draft and where the white sox are positioned. Right now, the only prospect rumored to be anywhere near the sox that I'm not excited about would be langeliers but the injury makes it very unlikely anyway. I love everything about Vaughn. I'll definitely be rooting for him to keep going off this season because I'd love him in the Sox lineup in a few years 

Edited by MyNamesRod

That's where I am with Vaughn.  If they do take him I won't be nearly as pissed off as I was with the Madrigal pick because at least this dude can do some damage.  This is the Sox only chance to get a guy who can have the biggest impact on a game.  They're not getting one thru a trade and they're sure as hell not getting one thru free agency so it has to be thru the draft.  Enough of the safe guys.  Get a god damn difference maker.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic