2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's where I am with Vaughn.  If they do take him I won't be nearly as pissed off as I was with the Madrigal pick because at least this dude can do some damage.  This is the Sox only chance to get a guy who can have the biggest impact on a game.  They're not getting one thru a trade and they're sure as hell not getting one thru free agency so it has to be thru the draft.  Enough of the safe guys.  Get a god damn difference maker.

It’s so hard, this guy is obviously looking like an exception, but if you were only to follow a few dogmatic rules for drafting in the first round I think mine would be:

- don’t draft hs RHP

- don’t draft 1b

Obviously later in the first it’s a tossup, but this would steer you correctly a large percent of the time. But here we are with a hugely consequential pick. Gun to head Id still take Abrams if available over Vaughn, but I would have a hard time not being excited to take him.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It’s so hard, this guy is obviously looking like an exception, but if you were only to follow a few dogmatic rules for drafting in the first round I think mine would be:

- don’t draft hs RHP

- don’t draft 1b

Obviously later in the first it’s a tossup, but this would steer you correctly a large percent of the time. But here we are with a hugely consequential pick. Gun to head Id still take Abrams if available over Vaughn, but I would have a hard time not being excited to take him.

Would you draft Paul Konerko with the third pick? Serious question. Obviously offensively, Paulie had a big impact on the game, but because he played first base, his overall value was about a 3 WAR player per year.  

31 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Would you draft Paul Konerko with the third pick? Serious question. Obviously offensively, Paulie had a big impact on the game, but because he played first base, his overall value was about a 3 WAR player per year.  

Absolutely, and it’s not a discussion that 1b in general cannot be valuable, it’s that being a 1b earlier in their career may indicate a lack of athleticism or whatever else, and their bats have often stagnated in the minors they basically are what they are and others catch up.

But look at the record of college 1b last decade, it’s not good.

I believe Paul himself was what, catcher when drafted?

Adley's probably not making it to 3 guys. We should give up the dream now. I'd be shocked. 

When the option was Madrigal or Singer in 2018, I was thrilled they picked Madrigal because he isn't Singer, but as more time goes on I think they should have taken the risk on Liberatore. Again, it is really hard to hit a HR when you're trying to hit doubles. Also, the more time that goes on, the more I despise the Madrigal pick as much as I would have despised Singer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Jesus dude you’ve made this post 10 times the last month, we get it. You don’t like the Madrigal pick, you didn’t want Singer at the time but now you hate the Madrigal selection. Move on.

Yup. I don't even wanna hear anyone mention Liberatore since I was literally the only one who was riding that train for quite sometime. Fathom and Dirty can back me on that one.

23 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yup. I don't even wanna hear anyone mention Liberatore since I was literally the only one who was riding that train for quite sometime. Fathom and Dirty can back me on that one.

I was on him too. I probably wasn't vocal enough about it. I really liked Kelenic and India as well and all would have been better picks than Madrigal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Jesus dude you’ve made this post 10 times the last month, we get it. You don’t like the Madrigal pick, you didn’t want Singer at the time but now you hate the Madrigal selection. Move on.

I'll shut up about being on the anyone but Singer train last year. You won't get me to STFU about how much I hate the Sox draft philosophy. The bottom line is even though I don't like the Sox picking Vaughn on principle, and it makes me want to puke, at the same time I can't blame them because he'll be the clear BPA and the draft really drops off after Rutschman, Witt and Vaughn.(nobody's even close to those 3, I get it)  This is a weak draft, IMO. The real question is: What do the Sox do if KC takes Vaughn? I hope KC takes him so I don't have to deal with it. 

I'm going to rail on the Sox draft philosophy more than anything. I can't really blame them for Burger either, as that was a 10 player draft and they were stuck at 11. If the Sox were picking 4 this year it would suck. I'll keep my Madrigal ripping to myself for a while. If he sucks, I'm not going to rip Madrigal per se, I'm going to rip the Sox scouts for being too fucking conservative. Take a risk every now and then for fuck's sake.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

Can’t pick Vaughn. We have yonder there. 

Ok obviously kidding. Vaughn and rutschman clearly top college players. I don’t know much about the HS guys (nor can anyone who isn’t a National scout) but seemed like a few months ago Witt was being talked about as 1-1. Obviously one of those three will be there. these drafts show you just how important each draft spot is, and how much better it is to pick 1 or 2 than 3 or 4. Tanking matters

Edited by daa84

17 minutes ago, daa84 said:

Can’t pick Vaughn. We have yonder there. 

Ok obviously kidding. Vaughn and rutschman clearly top college players. I don’t know much about the HS guys (nor can anyone who isn’t a National scout) but seemed like a few months ago Witt was being talked about as 1-1. Obviously one of those three will be there. these drafts show you just how important each draft spot is, and how much better it is to pick 1 or 2 than 3 or 4. Tanking matters

The only solace I have is that there was no way the Sox were catching the Orioles last year no matter how bad they played toward end of the year.

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Also, Hahn made a comment in '17 that in '18 he really wanted HS talent to sustain the ranking of their system

They’ve said this for a few years and haven’t come close to following through.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

They’ve said this for a few years and haven’t come close to following through.

Typical

7 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

And does anyone think the Sox would be able to devlop a toolsy, but raw hit tool high schooler?

Nope, but this situation very well may happen

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Jr is there they have to take him.  Kid can do it all.  I really like Abrams but I think Jr will hit a little more and hit for more power and I'll take the bat over Abrams game changing speed.  I think they will both be above avg SS.

I'd be lying if I said I watched enough of Witt to talk about him but he's been hyped

That said, his ETA is probably realistically in '23

6 hours ago, maggsmaggs said:

And does anyone think the Sox would be able to devlop a toolsy, but raw hit tool high schooler?

Top3 overall a HS hitter shouldn't be that raw. Still more raw than a top college bat but not as raw as a late first round or overslot second round HS bat.

Vaughn is right handed and played some third base, I believe in high school. He is an excellent fielding first baseman and has a strong arm. In fact, he was also a pitcher. I asked some time ago, about the feasibility of his switching back to being a third baseman. Any thoughts?

22 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Adley's probably not making it to 3 guys. We should give up the dream now. I'd be shocked. 

When the option was Madrigal or Singer in 2018, I was thrilled they picked Madrigal because he isn't Singer, but as more time goes on I think they should have taken the risk on Liberatore. Again, it is really hard to hit a HR when you're trying to hit doubles. Also, the more time that goes on, the more I despise the Madrigal pick as much as I would have despised Singer. 

I get where you're coming from, but in recent memory 

2014: Rodon was the layup projected #1 the year before
2015:  Mautuella (I believe went in the 3rd?) was seen as a #1 pick until injuries hit
2016: Groome was rated MLB Pipeline's #1 prospect, Puk was projected as the #1 pick
2017: Twins took the 5th ranked guy to save money
2018: Singer was THE guy for so long, then he wasn't. Then Turang for a bit.

The draft changes a lot man. Adley can fall a spot or two. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

I get where you're coming from, but in recent memory 

2014: Rodon was the layup projected #1 the year before
2015:  Mautuella (I believe went in the 3rd?) was seen as a #1 pick until injuries hit
2016: Groome was rated MLB Pipeline's #1 prospect, Puk was projected as the #1 pick
2017: Twins took the 5th ranked guy to save money
2018: Singer was THE guy for so long, then he wasn't. Then Turang for a bit.

The draft changes a lot man. Adley can fall a spot or two. 

Yup ways away

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Vaughn is right handed and played some third base, I believe in high school. He is an excellent fielding first baseman and has a strong arm. In fact, he was also a pitcher. I asked some time ago, about the feasibility of his switching back to being a third baseman. Any thoughts?

From all accounts from scouts, its first base only.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic