2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

9 hours ago, Quin said:

I get where you're coming from, but in recent memory 

2014: Rodon was the layup projected #1 the year before
2015:  Mautuella (I believe went in the 3rd?) was seen as a #1 pick until injuries hit
2016: Groome was rated MLB Pipeline's #1 prospect, Puk was projected as the #1 pick
2017: Twins took the 5th ranked guy to save money
2018: Singer was THE guy for so long, then he wasn't. Then Turang for a bit.

The draft changes a lot man. Adley can fall a spot or two. 

Exactly. I could mostly careless about mock drafts until about April. That's why I keep saying I someone else emerges at #3 instead of Vaughn, or Vaughn does so amazing that he gets taken #2 and we get our choice of someone like Adley, Witt Jr, Abrams, or any other guy that shoots up the boards. Maybe like a Josh Jung or Stinson.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Exactly. I could mostly careless about mock drafts until about April. That's why I keep saying I someone else emerges at #3 instead of Vaughn, or Vaughn does so amazing that he gets taken #2 and we get our choice of someone like Adley, Witt Jr, Abrams, or any other guy that shoots up the boards. Maybe like a Josh Jung or Stinson.

I was thinking about changes that could be reasonable already. The most plausible scenario I could come up with yet is that the Orioles opt for a high school player because they know their rebuild is going to take a while so they don't want to waste any years of control from a college player.

Then the Royals would have both Vaughn and Adley available. I could see them taking Adley because he is the best player, but I could also see them taking Vaughn because he is a much better bat and the Royals already have a pretty good catching prospect they like.

Then we would have our pick of Adley or whatever top HS prospect the Orioles didn't take.

They now have Abrams at 2 and Misner at 9 with the added info that the Sox have him on their short list already.

This just continues to convince me on Abrams. I actually like this draft. I'd be very happy with abrams and witt, and would have quiet excitement on vaughn. 

Of course the likelihood all 4 are good (rutschman) is low, so I'm wrong on one of em.

15 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I more I watch/read about Misner, the more I want him. Strong start to the season. Kid looks like a monster at the plate. I doubt he will play much CF, but the stick he has will play more than enough in a corner OF spot.

How much have you been able to watch him? I haven't seen him yet, but I was wondering if you had any insight as to why they have his hit tool so low. I would think with how good he is doing that his hit tool would be at least average and if not then there must be something obviously wrong with it.

21 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

How much have you been able to watch him? I haven't seen him yet, but I was wondering if you had any insight as to why they have his hit tool so low. I would think with how good he is doing that his hit tool would be at least average and if not then there must be something obviously wrong with it.

I've just been reading lots of scouting reports as well as the Fangraphs blurb today. As far as watching goes, primarily batting practice videos, and game clips on YouTube. The Crawfish Box draft piece is what I read today.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/2/24/18238594/2019-mlb-draft-profile-kameron-misner-of-1b-mizzou

3 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

They now have Abrams at 2 and Misner at 9 with the added info that the Sox have him on their short list already.

Re: The Misner blurb FG posted today in case some didn't visit the link.

9. Kameron Misner, RF, Missouri
We had Misner in a “wait and see” bucket after he skipped the summer, and the early returns are very positive. Scouts who generally hadn’t seen him other than in scrimmage looks in the fall are dropping 70 raw power grades on him, and think he’ll work his way into the conversation for the best college bat behind Rutschman, with some clubs in the top 10 rumored to have him on their shortlist already, including the White Sox at three.

Edited by DirtySox

36 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I think there were some swing and miss issues against good pitching.

Still great athlete and power. Also was a two sport guy i think so maybe there is more room to grow.

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Mitch Haniger credits Lisle with reworking his swing. 

I’m super positive on him, just joking about it since he was only Missouri’s hitting coach for a month, likely doing limited work with the team.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Prepare for @bmags and I to stan Misner hard if he becomes a Top 3 projected pick 

Honestly would be terrified for a Mizzou pick to screw things up more than excited he’s good. Though Mizzous track record for top picks is pretty good. Aaron crow was probably  the worst but he still had an mlb career.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'll bet you Greg's house that at least one of those 4 guys is available at pick #3. ;)

Lol you know what I meant.  My #1 will always be Adley though.  Abrams comes in at #2 for me.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

No faith in Gavin Sheets huh? :P

Unless he mashes 15-20 HRs in AA this year, then no hah

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic