2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

CJ Abrams is my guy but it'd be tough for me to get upset about Vaughn despite the ceiling questions. He's going to mash. He looks like Josh Donaldson at the dish. 

I think Abrams might go #1 to Baltimore. He seems like a Mike Elias type of guy. He found Correa when he wasn't supposed to go that high. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ugh. I have no faith in that guy. He has a slow bat.  I'll be shocked if he makes it out of AA. Terrible pick.

Have you SEEN he has a slow bat, or are you basing that odd of his lack of HRs, which could be more of a launch angle issue, or approach issue. Everyone says he has huge raw power. 

54 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

CJ Abrams is my guy but it'd be tough for me to get upset about Vaughn despite the ceiling questions. He's going to mash. He looks like Josh Donaldson at the dish. 

I think Abrams might go #1 to Baltimore. He seems like a Mike Elias type of guy. He found Correa when he wasn't supposed to go that high. 

Baltimore has 5 guys in the running supposedly

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ugh. I have no faith in that guy. He has a slow bat.  I'll be shocked if he makes it out of AA. Terrible pick.

Slow bat that hit .293 with a .368 OBP, if he can tap into his power he can be a pretty good prospect. I would say 16% K rate isn't a slow bat IMO

• Like 1

Vaughn is off to a torrid start. 14 walks, in his first 35 plate appearances, for a .714 OBP. He also has 11 hits, including 3 homers, for a .524 Average and a .1000 SLG. Yikes!!! It looks like the first opponents have decided not to pitch to him, so he is taking his walks.

Rutschman isn't far behind. In his first 8 games and 25 AB's: 

.400 .595 .920 1.515 with 4 homers  
Edited by Lillian

The royals have needs everywhere. They have some depth in 40s and 45s but they lack high end talent. Nick pratto is a decent 1b prospect and they have some C prospects too but none of them is a surefire mlb starter.

If I was the royals I would take a HS guy. They are going to suck the next 3 years anyway and they don't need quick moving talent but star upside.

From Baseball Farm predicting WS buck their historical MO and pick a HS pitcher at 3: 
Daniel Espino is strong, athletic and absurdly flexible (he can do the splits) with an advanced 6-2 frame. Espino uses that strength and flexibility to get into positions most guys simply can’t. As a result of this, he’s able to hold 95-98 without extreme effort and has touched triple digits at times, including breaking Hunter Greene’s velo record for Perfect Game events. In addition to the insane velocity, Espino throws one of the better sliders in the class, a solid curveball and a decent changeup that will play up due to his fastball velocity. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pitcher with this high of a ceiling have this kind of arsenal at his age. Espino pitched 26 AB against players on the combined MLB Pipeline draft top 50 and Perfect Game draft top 300…in those 26 AB against names including Bobby Witt jr, batters were a combined 1 for 25 with 1 BB and 17 K! That’s dominance against the best!

56 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

KLaw dropped his top 30 draft list.  If someone can post it or at least the top 10 would be much appreciated.

1) RUTSCHMAN

2) VAUGHN

3) ABRAMS

4) WITT JR

5) JUNG

6) MISNER

7) STOTT

8 ) ALLAN

9) CARROLL

10) ESPINO

Edited by steveno89

One thing about witt, sometimes with hit tool questions you'll see the player be a bit more over the board as media evaluators seem to really get worried about getting too far in front of those guys, but witt is not 1 anymore but he's top 4. I would find it hard to believe he falls far based on what spring ball will look like but maybe a college player like misner or a pitcher catches fire. I would be really happy with either witt or abrams. Those are the type of tools and athletes totally missing passed Robert.

BA Stock Watch. Think subscriber only.

Kameron Misner, OF, Missouri

Misner is off to a hot start, hitting .440/.588/.760 through his first seven games against North Florida, Florida A&M, Northeastern and Rhode Island. After injuries limited Misner to just 34 games last season, scouts will look for him to showcase his hit tool over a full season and cut down his strikeouts. The important games in the SEC have yet to come, but so far Misner has more than held his own, with nine walks to five strikeouts and a pair of home runs—both of which came in a 5-4 win over North Florida on Feb. 16.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-draft-stock-watch-10-prospects-rising-and-falling/

Ups:

- Alek Manoah

- Kameron Misner

- Erik Miller

- Josh Smith

- Ivan Johnson

Downs:

- Logan Davidson

- Tyler Dyson

- Will Holland

- Pat DeMarco

- Shea Langeliers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

With Dunning possibly going down we really need another high end pitcher, sucks there isn't a college pitcher out there that should go 1-3

I still wish they'd sign Keuchel to a 4 year deal.  They could probably get him for a better deal than any of the guys next year, and I think Keuchel might hold up better than any of the guys available next year.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I still wish they'd sign Keuchel to a 4 year deal.  They could probably get him for a better deal than any of the guys next year, and I think Keuchel might hold up better than any of the guys available next year.

I agree. I totally understand people’s reasons against, but he also seems like the kind of pitcher that can always find ways to be effective. And who knows what his price point is? Could be paying him to be a 3 starter

I don't think Vaughn's position matters at all if you buy that bat.  I can think of more than a few RHH 1B that have made a serious impact on their teams fortunes.  Heck, I think the Sox have even had a few.  Can't think of their names just now, but I think it is a list that goes back about 30 years at this point.  

If he is Paul Goldschmidt or Rhys Hoskins with the bat, the rest doesn't matter. 

11 hours ago, bmags said:

One thing about witt, sometimes with hit tool questions you'll see the player be a bit more over the board as media evaluators seem to really get worried about getting too far in front of those guys, but witt is not 1 anymore but he's top 4. I would find it hard to believe he falls far based on what spring ball will look like but maybe a college player like misner or a pitcher catches fire. I would be really happy with either witt or abrams. Those are the type of tools and athletes totally missing passed Robert.

Adolfo has a ton of pure ability...just not expressed with flat out sprint speed, but he's got a lot of other tools in his toolbox.  He's the the one that outside evaluators usually rave the most about beyond the immediate Top 5 prospects.

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic