2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I caution you, we said that about Rodon too. 

Rodon also didn't destroy the minors in his final year the way Adley is so far. His WHIP got worse his junior year, he pitched 30 fewer innings due to injury.

before the season started I was hoping there would be a chance bleday would be available in round 2, but it hes played himself into a top 10 or top 15 pick it seems like. Bryant certainly is the natural comp for Vaughn - although bryant turned himself into a valuable piece as a defender and baserunner, something vaughn likely won't do. 

Just now, daa84 said:

before the season started I was hoping there would be a chance bleday would be available in round 2, but it hes played himself into a top 10 or top 15 pick it seems like. Bryant certainly is the natural comp for Vaughn - although bryant turned himself into a valuable piece as a defender and baserunner, something vaughn likely won't do. 

I have been trying to think about second round options, but I have come to the conclusion its much too soon to do that now. Any player who was ranked in that range is likely either doing well so they are rising above our pick or they are doing poorly so they are falling below our pick. In reality our pick is likely to either be someone that is currently in the 4th round area who keeps rising or someone who is in the first round area who keeps slipping.

Via today's Law chat.

Beep

Andrew Vaughn. Defensively, any chance he could play the OF? 3B? If relegated to 1B, what kind of defensive potential does he have there?

Keith Law

1B only. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Poke

Any chance Adley could slip to the White Sox at #3?

Keith Law

Any chance, sure. Would I bet on it? No. Seems like he is the safest bet for 1 right now, assuming he doesn't get hurt (he is a catcher, after all). If the Orioles decided to take Vaughn for his otherworldly hitting performance, l would then guess Adley goes 2.

Edited by DirtySox

Re: Witt

• Shawn (Kansas): Bobby Witt Jr is on the older side for a high school senior, as he will turn 19 shortly after the draft. Does this potentially drop his stock a bit?

• John (New Jersey): How has Bobby Witt's hit took looked so far this spring? Still the favorite for the Royals at 2?

• Matt (Chicago): Bobby Witt Jr. Obviously a great talent. There has been some negative reports on him lately. Is this more "he is not progressing and producing" or "you are on top for so long that eventually scouts nitpick and come up with false negatives."

Carlos Collazo: A number of Bobby Witt comments, as always, so let's get to them here. I'll have a lot more specific information on him next week after a few calls, but I have not heard negative reports on him to this point this spring. He just got started up recently and it sounds like the same Bobby Witt. His age is a factor, but it's only one data point that teams are looking at. If there was a player with the same toolset and track record who was younger, sure, go with the younger player, but his toolset is special and no one else in this class has it. I don't think it will hurt him much at all. In my brief time doing this, I think there is definitely some "prospect fatigue" that happens with the top-end guys who scouts have seen over and over and over again. Maybe you start really get critical because you are expecting him to be the best player in the country every time you see him. That happened with Brice Turang last year. I don't think it's happened to that extent with Witt because he's hit with impact during high-level games throughout the summer and fall and his tools always stand out, whether that's offensively, defensively, or on the bases. Personally, I still think he has the highest upside in the class.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

I gotta say, I really love our position in the draft. Yeah, it would be nicer to be #1, but we are going to end up with either a crazy college bat, a really good bat that is also a really good catcher, or a HS SS with huge upside.

Agreed!

If both Rutschman and Vaughn go first and second, is there another college player, who could emerge at #3? All of the projections seem to indicate that Witt or Abrams will round out the rest of the top 3 names. I'm too old to be waiting around to see a high schooler make it to the Big Leagues. Not saying that I won't live long enough, but it's just hard to plan on being here, at my age. LOL. Could Stinson climb the rankings, all the way to #3, or is the Draft deep enough to consider going under slot? I really hope that somehow Rutschman falls in our laps. You know me, a middle of the order LH bat (switch hitter) would be so perfect.

Edited by Lillian

15 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If both Rutschman and Vaughn go first and second, is there another college player, who could emerge at #3? All of the projections seem to indicate that Witt or Abrams will round out the rest of the top 3 names. I'm too old to be waiting around to see a high schooler make it to the Big Leagues. Not saying that I won't live long enough, but it's just hard to plan on being here, at my age. LOL. Could Stinson climb the rankings, all the way to #3, or is the Draft deep enough to consider going under slot? I really hope that somehow Rutschman falls in our laps. You know me, a middle of the order LH bat (switch hitter) would be so perfect.

A few college bats have helium right now. Familiarize yourself with Kameron Misner, Josh Jung, and Bryson Stott first and foremost.  JJ Bleday's stock is up too. I feel he's less likely to be in the top 5 mix though.

As far as Stinson goes, his stock is actually pretty down. The big question with him was going to be how he transitions into a full time starter. The numbers aren't awful, but he's been sitting in the high 80's with the fastball which isn't a good sign. Nick Lodolo might be the best pitcher to keep an eye on. He was lights out last week. If he keeps it up he will be the first college pitcher off the board.

Edit: This FanGraphs post is pretty informative.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/another-draft-rankings-update/

Edited by DirtySox

I'm not a podcast guy, but if anyone is and this has anything noteworthy, feel free to post it. With the mentions of Missouri and UNLV, they certainly are talking about Misner and Stott.

Edited by DirtySox

24 minutes ago, Lillian said:

2 HS draft picks selected after zack collins in 2016 may make it to the big leagues before or on same time as him.

It is int

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is interesting, longenhagen said that vaughns raw power isn't that outatanding (around 60 raw) but he makes it play up due to his good contact, i.e. he hits a lot of balls hard at good launch angles but not necessarily 450 foot moonshots.

14 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

It is int

That is interesting, longenhagen said that vaughns raw power isn't that outatanding (around 60 raw) but he makes it play up due to his good contact, i.e. he hits a lot of balls hard at good launch angles but not necessarily 450 foot moonshots.

The ability to hit the ball much farther than the fences, in most parks, is of little value. Of course, it does suggest that a hitter, with that kind of power, will get his fair share of home runs, on balls which would otherwise be merely fly outs, by lesser guys. However, the contact rate and ability to take walks is much more important, in my opinion. I'd much rather have a Joey Votto than a Joey Gallo.

Adley killed one against a great pitcher tonight. Lodolo having another great start. Abrams and Witt Jr with huge showings this weekend. I feel confident saying the Sox pick will come from one of the following:

Adley, Vaughn, Abrams, Witt, Lodolo

I've decided that I am officially campaigning for RHP Drey Jameson to be our 2nd RD, 45th overall selection in June. Is it because he pitches for Ball State? 90% yes. The 10% is because he was mentioned on the MLB Pipeline podcast last night as a pitcher with serious helium right now. He is 6 foot, 165 pounds. Callis said that he throws upper 90s, has a very hard slider, and if the draft were today, he would go in the 1st or 2nd RD. 

Seems to be a bit herky-jerky in that delivery. Nice break on those sliders. Looks like he flipped in a slurve there too at some point. 

Control was a huge issue with him in 2018, but holy smokes he has 39 K's in 23 IP so far in 2019 with 6 BB.

11 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I'm not a podcast guy, but if anyone is and this has anything noteworthy, feel free to post it. With the mentions of Missouri and UNLV, they certainly are talking about Misner and Stott.

Ill give it a listen right now.

EDIT: Said they have heard whispers of scouts who say Vaughn should be 1-1.

Think there are no pitchers who are top 10 worthy right now.

Think Adley is an outstanding defensive catcher, which is something I hadn't heard yet.

They don't see the Orioles taking Vaughn, because Vaughn could be up in 2020, and would not fit their timeline for the rebuild. 

Said Bobby Witt has the highest ceiling in this draft.

Thinks Abrams has less of a chance to stick at SS, may move to CF. 

Fastest risers are Misner and Stott. Could be top 10 guys.

Don't think Misner can be a CF. Might have 70 raw power.

Stott might not stick at SS, but should be above average 3B. Will likely be drafted and tried out at SS to see how he does with a bigger frame.

Aren't sure what to think of Carter Stewart. Maybe mid-late 1st RD. Consistency is an issue, but stuff is great.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 1

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic