2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

27 minutes ago, njh said:

I see Witt as a perfect fit.  HS but has a lot of experience and expertise surrounding him.

If the Sox board is Rutschman, Vaughn, Witt— having Witt as a fallback doesn’t suck if they miss out on the other two. Normally the high school thing scares me with the Sox, but the big league pedigree does lessen the fears a little bit. 

Edited by flavum

16 minutes ago, flavum said:

If the Sox board is Rutschman, Vaughn, Witt— having Witt as a fallback doesn’t suck if they miss out on the other two. Normally the high school thing scares me with the Sox, but the big pedigree does lessen the fears a little bit. 

If Rutchsman and Vaughn are off the board 1-2, there's going to be a very anxious few minutes for the White Sox fans intently watching the draft, followed by either relief or frustration.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Rutchsman and Vaughn are off the board 1-2, there's going to be a very anxious few minutes for the White Sox fans intently watching the draft, followed by either relief or frustration.

Pretty much the same as last year when most of us were terrified the Sox would take Singer over Madrigal (and IIRC Fangraphs even reported that).  They proved us wrong last year and I’m somewhat optimsic we’d take Witt if Adley & Vaughn were off the table, but that would be a terrifying few minutes that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Pretty much the same as last year when most of us were terrified the Sox would take Singer over Madrigal (and IIRC Fangraphs even reported that).  They proved us wrong last year and I’m somewhat optimsic we’d take Witt if Adley & Vaughn were off the table, but that would be a terrifying few minutes that’s for sure.

Hostetler is taking the best college player available at #3. Dude is absolutely allergic to high school players in the first 5 rounds of the draft. 

From today's Law chat. On Vaughn.

Mac

1:22

How much does Vaughn have to hit to justify being picked ahead of Witt Jr or Abrams? Does he have to be the best hitting 1B in baseball for 5+ years?

Keith Law

1:23

There's an implicit assumption there about Witt Jr/Abrams that I'm not sure we entirely agree on, but you omit the other benefit Vaughn might offer: proximity. He's in the majors in 12-18 months. Maybe sooner if he's really this good right now. (I'll see him in a week.) A win today is worth more than a win in five years to contending clubs - and, I believe, in the trade market.

Edited by DirtySox

37 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Hostetler is taking the best college player available at #3. Dude is absolutely allergic to high school players in the first 5 rounds of the draft. 

It's not Nick Hostetler. It's been the organization philosophy though. 

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

My mistake. One high school kid in the first five rounds since he has taken over

Very solid philosophy so far I must say. 

Are there specific HS guys they should have taken with those picks instead of the guys we should have selected?  Instead of just whining about the approach, maybe cite some examples where we didn’t select the BPA and instead took a college player.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

In 2017 they took Gavin Sheets while Mark Vientos was still on the board.  That was a colossal blunder.

I am so tired of people ragging on Sheets... If he develops game power he is a starting 1b in the future. He has the power and he just needs to translate it to the game... He is a great hitter who has put in the work on his fielding and won his leagues gold glove.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I am so tired of people ragging on Sheets... If he develops game power he is a starting 1b in the future. He has the power and he just needs to translate it to the game... He is a great hitter who has put in the work on his fielding and won his leagues gold glove.

Okay, kind of a big if. This wasn't a 17 year old kid, he's a 22 year old mass of a man in one of the best hitting parks we had who in 437 at bats had less home runs than Laz Rivera had in 225. He was 8th in homers despite being second in at bats.

He had only 4 more doubles than Luis Gonzalez in 200 more at bats.

He's not a center fielder. He only has a route to the big leagues with power. You have guys like Brandon Belt in the mlb, but he had 23 home runs across three levels in his first year. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Okay, kind of a big if. This wasn't a 17 year old kid, he's a 22 year old mass of a man in one of the best hitting parks we had who in 437 at bats had less home runs than Laz Rivera had in 225. He was 8th in homers despite being second in at bats.

He had only 4 more doubles than Luis Gonzalez in 200 more at bats.

He's not a center fielder. He only has a route to the big leagues with power. You have guys like Brandon Belt in the mlb, but he had 23 home runs across three levels in his first year. 

But he has the power is the thing. He had it in college, and everybody who has seen him hit bp says its there, he just needs to bring it out in games. Yes, it is a big if, but most prospects have big ifs. I see a ton of potential in his bat and people acting like he is nothing is driving me nuts.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are there specific HS guys they should have taken with those picks instead of the guys we should have selected?  Instead of just whining about the approach, maybe cite some examples where we didn’t select the BPA and instead took a college player.

in the 2018 draft I would have gone Kelenic, Liberatore, or Gorman over Madrigal. 

In 2017 I would have gone Nick Pratto or Shane Baz over Burger

in 2016 Alex Kiriloff, Forrest Whitley, and Gavin Lux all went after Collins. Carter Kieboom went two picks after Burdi. 

Hostetler has been drafting best college player available in the top rounds since he took over. i don't see that changing anytime soon. Dude is a one trick pony and not good at his job. 

8 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

in the 2018 draft I would have gone Kelenic, Liberatore, or Gorman over Madrigal. 

In 2017 I would have gone Nick Pratto or Shane Baz over Burger

in 2016 Alex Kiriloff, Forrest Whitley, and Gavin Lux all went after Collins. Carter Kieboom went two picks after Burdi. 

Hostetler has been drafting best college player available in the top rounds since he took over. i don't see that changing anytime soon. Dude is a one trick pony and not good at his job. 

I’ll give you credit for providing examples, but how many of these picks are based on the benefit of hindsight vs. actually feeling conviction for taking them at that time?

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll give you credit for providing examples, but how many of these picks are based on the benefit of hindsight vs. actually feeling conviction for taking them at that time?

I think more than anything, how they’ve handled 2nd round/1st round comp picks has been my largest gripe. 

But regardless, there was huge importance on getting these draft picks right. The difference between 11 and 17 in a draft isn’t huge. But the rebuild just looks so different if you draft Kirilloff and not Collins. Or Kieboom and not Burdi. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic