2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

7 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

I think its going to be Misner. As much as we want to say we are an analytical team now, Hostetler still seems like an old school scouting type of guy and its those types that seem to be all over Misner the most. Add to that their history of projecting better defense than anyone outside the org believes and I'll bet that if Adley and Vaughn are off the board they take Misner and say he is a true 5 tool centerfielder who was #1 on their board.

Weren't they going pretty much mid 2000s moneyball type of picks the last 2-3 years? I.e. basically picking high on base college performers while ignoring defense a little (collins, burger, sheets even steele walker)

Also kiley on the rebuild:

2:27

Will: Too early to panic about the direction of the White Sox rebuild?

2:31

Kiley McDaniel: I would say yes, but things haven’t been going super well the last year or so. Kopech was going well then he blew out. Eloy is still going well but the body is pointing to 1B/DH pretty soon. The college corner bats in the draft (Collins, Burger, Sheets, Fisher, Call) haven’t done much. Dunning, Burdi, and Adolfo blew out. Robert hasn’t had a breakthrough yet. We believe in Madrigal but his debut raised some questions that weren’t really there before. Basabe and Rutherford don’t look like likely regulars to us anymore. Hansen got hurt and regressed. Moncada, Rodon, Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez haven’t been as advertised.

2:33

Kiley McDaniel: So, yes that a lot of bad fortune all strung together and not necessarily bad planning or picking the wrong players, as we were on Kopech, Eloy, Moncada, Dunning, Burdi, Adolfo, Robert, Madrigal and Rodon too. But when you’re trying to have a bunch of assets appreciate and form a core and most of the top assets depreciated, that’s just making things harder, even if it isn’t necessarily any one person’s fault.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Kiley McDaniel: I would say yes, but things haven’t been going super well the last year or so. Kopech was going well then he blew out. Eloy is still going well but the body is pointing to 1B/DH pretty soon. The college corner bats in the draft (Collins, Burger, Sheets, Fisher, Call) haven’t done much.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say Alex Call will likely never play a single game in a White Sox uniform. Doubt he even ever suits up for Birmingham or Charlotte. ;)

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Kiley McDaniel: I would say yes, but things haven’t been going super well the last year or so. Kopech was going well then he blew out. Eloy is still going well but the body is pointing to 1B/DH pretty soon. The college corner bats in the draft (Collins, Burger, Sheets, Fisher, Call) haven’t done much. Dunning, Burdi, and Adolfo blew out. Robert hasn’t had a breakthrough yet. We believe in Madrigal but his debut raised some questions that weren’t really there before. Basabe and Rutherford don’t look like likely regulars to us anymore. Hansen got hurt and regressed. Moncada, Rodon, Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez haven’t been as advertised.

2:33

Kiley McDaniel: So, yes that a lot of bad fortune all strung together and not necessarily bad planning or picking the wrong players, as we were on Kopech, Eloy, Moncada, Dunning, Burdi, Adolfo, Robert, Madrigal and Rodon too. But when you’re trying to have a bunch of assets appreciate and form a core and most of the top assets depreciated, that’s just making things harder, even if it isn’t necessarily any one person’s fault.

Huh?

8 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Kiley McDaniel: I would say yes, but things haven’t been going super well the last year or so. Kopech was going well then he blew out. Eloy is still going well but the body is pointing to 1B/DH pretty soon. The college corner bats in the draft (Collins, Burger, Sheets, Fisher, Call) haven’t done much. Dunning, Burdi, and Adolfo blew out. Robert hasn’t had a breakthrough yet. We believe in Madrigal but his debut raised some questions that weren’t really there before. Basabe and Rutherford don’t look like likely regulars to us anymore. Hansen got hurt and regressed. Moncada, Rodon, Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez haven’t been as advertised

They sure as hell were there he just couldn't see them.  

BA has it's Mock 3.0 up. Looks to be paid only.  I'll post the top three with blurbs in addition to a list of the top ten for those interested.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-mock-draft-version-30/

Last time we did a mock draft, we pointed out that while it was cliche to say college hitters will rise up draft boards during the season, it would happen.

Well, a month later and that’s exactly what has happened. A trio of college hitters have pushed themselves into top-10 consideration who weren’t quite at that level before. Those players’ jumps were reflected in yesterday’s updated draft rankings (which also expanded to 300 players) along with plenty of other movement.

1: Orioles
Adley Rutschman
Oregon State C
Notes:
Yes, Andrew Vaughn came out of the gate hot, but let’s not forget what the top prospect in the country has done to start the season. Rutschman is hitting .456/.619/.895 with eight home runs, 26 walks and 10 strikeouts through 18 games. His power production is up. His walk rate is up. He’s eighth in the country in batting average, eighth in the country in home runs per game, fifth in slugging percentage and second in walks per game. He just went 7-for-11 with two home runs, three walks and two strikeouts against UCLA, the No. 1 team in the country, last weekend. Let’s not get cute and overthink things here.

2: Royals
Andrew Vaughn
California 1B
Notes:
Vaughn is hitting .426/.593/.836 with eight home runs, 21 walks and eight strikeouts. Among this year’s draft prospects, Vaughn might be the fastest mover once he gets into pro ball because of how advanced his offensive game is. He’s played 18 games so far this season and has multi-hit games in eight of those. In the six games that he’s gone hitless, Vaughn has still gotten on base and walked nine times. Both Bobby Witt Jr. and C.J. Abrams should be in play here as well.

3: White Sox
Bobby Witt Jr.
Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS SS
Notes:
With the top college hitters off the board, either Witt Jr. or Abrams makes sense at No. 3. Perhaps the White Sox are still enamored with bat-to-ball skills after taking Nick Madrigal a year ago, and In that case Abrams would be the player over Witt. But if the Texas product does hit, he’s got the most upside of any player in this draft class. He’s looked good this spring as well.

4. Marlins: CJ Abrams

5. Tigers: Bryson Stott

6. Padres: Riley Greene

7. Reds: Matt Allan

8. Rangers: Kameron Misner

9. Braves: Hunter Bishop

10. Giants: Josh Jung

Willing to answer any mock questions for those that have them. It's the entire first round.

Edited by DirtySox

I'm starting to raise my eyebrow at Hunter Bishop. He has major helium. I think I might prefer him to Misner at this point. The defensive profile seems much better too. I wonder if Law will have anything on him after seeing him yesterday.

Edited by DirtySox

There were some more interesting draft tidbits in yesterday's Kiley chat for those that are interested. Pulled them out below.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-3-20-19/

shf9: What’s going on with Carter Stewart?  He’s falling fast down your draft rankings.

2:15    
Kiley McDaniel: two quick draft questions, then I’ll get to some pro stuff. The reports on Stewart are notably worse than this point last year. Around this point last year, Stewart was 93-95, touching 97 mph, flashing a 70 curveball and showing starter traits. Now he’s mostly 90-93, touching 97 but not in the strike zone, curveball is flashing 60 and the body/delivery/command have regressed. The main concern about the wrist last summer is the quality of the breaking ball would regress and that has happened along with some athleticism, which is likely unrelated. Could still bounce back, but he’s a clear tier lower 

2:26    
Hunter Bishop: Could I go as high as 3rd?

2:26    
Kiley McDaniel: I don’t see that, with Abrams and Witt right there, but if you keep going nuts, maybe 8-10?

2:35

Kevin Jacobs: What round do you see Josh Wolf going?

2:36

Kiley McDaniel: Saw him last week for a few innings, 94-96, touched 97 with plus life, 55 flashing curve, some effort but chance to start, 6’2/175, a little smaller than most clubs like to take a HS righty, so more 2nd round than 1st

2:47    
JT: How does Hunter Bishop compare to Conforto when he was in college?

2:48    
Kiley McDaniel: Conforto had a better approach and hit tool by a pretty good margin. Bishop has a little more raw and speed and has a chance to play CF. Conforto at draft time is still better, given the offensive track record

2:49    
bubbf: I notice that Jackson Rutledge dropped a bit after you saw him in person. What did you see that led to him sinking down The Board?

2:50    
Kiley McDaniel: Doesn’t pitch with much conviction, kinda sailed on pure ability for me and others have seen the same thing. control over command that wasn’t punished much vs. lesser hitters, doesn’t seem to have the mentality/aggression to relieve, which may be the best use of his ability. Lots of size and stuff and it comes out easy, but not sure what it will be

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

If you are a top ten prep pitcher who has the team discover something and give a much lower amount, do you just take it at this point? Those pitchers have been doing pretty bad recently in follow up year

51 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm starting to raise my eyebrow at Hunter Bishop. He has major helium. I think I might prefer him to Misner at this point. The defensive profile seems much better too. I wonder if Law will have anything on him after seeing him yesterday.

He is raking but also just a year removed from hitting 250 with 50 Ks. The improvement is good but how  much of it will stick?

At 3 I would prefer a player who performs and has more track record.

Pat (KC): Is Vaughn to the royals based on anything other then you see him as the 2nd best talent? His profile doesn't seem very royals (although I am sure his proximity to the majors is attractive to the "quick rebuild")

Carlos Collazo: Yep that’s exactly it. After having conversations the past few weeks many upper level decision makers think that Rutschman and Vaughn are kind of in a tier of their own at this point. If that’s the case, it makes sense to give the Royals Vaughn at No. 2. And if they are committed to a quick rebuild, it makes sense to take the player who might move quickest to the majors and is the best hitter in the class. We’ll see what happens when we get closer though. The mocks at this point are written in pencil, not pen.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1553129887

Edited by DirtySox

AJ (Durham): I noticed you don't have JJ Bleday in today's mock. I was under the impression he had some helium this year. What deficiencies/questions are keeping him out of the 1st round?

Carlos Collazo: This is a great call. When putting together the mock I had penciled in Bleday to the Braves at 21, but then saw I still had Malone on the board and pivoted to a HS pitcher for them because I couldn’t resist and had already given them a college outfielder. After that, Bleday should have gone off the board quickly but I never did make that happen. So, there are no questions with him, and I do expect him to be a first rounder. Good catch, and my apologies!

For Harold. Our resident Bleday/Lodolo fan.

Edited by DirtySox

Josh (Wheaton, IL): The knock on Hunter Bishop in the past (besides converting his raw power to game power, which he has done this year) is the hit tool. Where did you grade that coming into the season? And how much has that grade improved by his spring thus far?

Doc (Atlanta): After years of being a toolshed who lacked in-game feel, Hunter Bishop is playing like his hair is on fire. Is this surge really real? Has he finally turned the proverbial corner?

Alan (RC): Hunter Bishop sure has some helium doesn't he? 2 more HR's last night. One an absolute bomb. How does he compare tools-wise to Kameron Misner? Any chance he would be considered by the White Sox at number 3?

Carlos Collazo: Lots of Hunter Bishop questions, unsurprisingly. He’s been very good. The hit tool now is basically completely different from what it was a year ago, as he’s simplified his setup at the plate and quieted some of his movements.You can see that in the numbers and you’ll see that if you look at old video as well. It’s a real adjustment, no scout I’ve talked to thinks it’s some sort of early-season, small sample fluke. He compares pretty well tools-wise to Misner, though No. 3 might be a bit high.

Edited by DirtySox

19 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

After having conversations the past few weeks many upper level decision makers think that Rutschman and Vaughn are kind of in a tier of their own at this point

So typical.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

BA has it's Mock 3.0 up. Looks to be paid only.  I'll post the top three with blurbs in addition to a list of the top ten for those interested.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-mock-draft-version-30/

4. Marlins: CJ Abrams

5. Tigers: Bryson Stott

6. Padres: Riley Greene

7. Reds: Matt Allan

8. Rangers: Kameron Misner

9. Braves: Hunter Bishop

10. Giants: Josh Jung

Willing to answer any mock questions for those that have them. It's the entire first round.

Where did Will Holland go? Big fan

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic