2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I do really like those two but *Let The Record Show* I'm squarely on Team Jr (assuming they have no chance at Rutschman).  

Yeah I am too at this point although it is way more boring to be big on a prep prospect as you get very little new stuff at this point of the process, vs daily college games to feast on. Basically waiting around hoping not to get a bad report on witt.

That said, I really love speed, and if baseball changes the size of the bases guys like Abrams could be way more productive than power may indicate. The age thing is still the big part that scares me with Witt.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah I am too at this point although it is way more boring to be big on a prep prospect as you get very little new stuff at this point of the process, vs daily college games to feast on. Basically waiting around hoping not to get a bad report on witt.

That said, I really love speed, and if baseball changes the size of the bases guys like Abrams could be way more productive than power may indicate. The age thing is still the big part that scares me with Witt.

His age doesn't scare me a whit.  You can put him against 19, 20, 21, 22.... year olds and he's still going to be the best player on the field.  Do you know why.  Because he's really f'ing good at playing baseball.  

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't understand the fascination with proximity to the majors.  It's not a race.  It's which player will have the best/most impactful career. In my opinion a 5 WAR player in 3-4 years is worth more than a 2 WAR player in 1-2 years.

Proximity to majors typically means a less risk of a bust. The more raw, the more risk.

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

His age doesn't scare me a whit.  You can put him against 19, 20, 21, 22.... year olds and he's still going to be the best player on the field.  Do you know why.  Because he's really f'ing good at playing baseball.  

I agree. His age means he has less potential to increase his power in the minors but his power already seems to be pretty good. He just has some growth behind him that others have still ahead of them.

His age would be more scary if his power was yet to develope but his power seems to be pretty well developed already for a HS guy.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/3/10/18259274/mlb-draft-2019-prospects-bobby-witt-adley-rutschman-andrew-vaughn-riley-greene

For some reason, getting much more excited about all-around potential of Witt, Jr., and Abrams...if they finally have the cojones to develop a high schooler again.

This article stated that the Royals are leaning toward Abrams, with their #2 pick. Although I'm pretty sure that few would agree that the Royals would actually prefer Abrams to Witt, that would be interesting, as that would mean that the Sox would have a tough decision. It would mean that they would have to choose between 2 of the consensus top 3. So, if the Sox really had the choice between Vaughn and Witt, which one do you think that they would choose, and which one do you think they should take? If they had to decide at this early stage of the season, my guess is that they would take Vaughn, but I'm not sure that would be the best choice. Witt seems like he certainly has the greater ceiling

Edited by Lillian

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

This article stated that the Royals are leaning toward Abrams, with their #2 pick. That would be interesting. So, if the Sox really had the choice between Vaughn and Witt, which one do you think that they would choose, and which one do you think they should take? If they had to decide at this early stage of the season, my guess is that they would take Vaughn, but I'm not sure that would be the best choice. Witt seems like he certainly has the greater ceiling

If they'er in the position where Adley and Abrams are off the board, I'd go with Witt. But my gut says they would take Vaughn.

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

This article stated that the Royals are leaning toward Abrams, with their #2 pick. That would be interesting. So, if the Sox really had the choice between Vaughn and Witt, which one do you think that they would choose, and which one do you think they should take? If they had to decide at this early stage of the season, my guess is that they would take Vaughn, but I'm not sure that would be the best choice. Witt seems like he certainly has the greater ceiling

They are citing the fangraphs rumors about that from almost a month ago. At this point, I don't think we can assume that info is still accurate.

I'm a big fan of Vaughn but something tells me we'll regret not taking Witt if available. I'm super stoked about this draft and by the time it rolls around, someone like Riley Green might leap to the front of the line. Lots of great options to select from.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'm a big fan of Vaughn but something tells me we'll regret not taking Witt if available. I'm super stoked about this draft and by the time it rolls around, someone like Riley Green might leap to the front of the line. Lots of great options to select from.

Unfortunately it seems there's not a "Big 3" like past years (Harper, Tailon, Machado), (Cole, Hultzen, Bauer)

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Vaughn is so predictable that it almost seems to be the opposite (Witt/Abrams/Greene) in order to prove they're actually willing to change things up.

Predictable or not, if Vaughn is there at 3 and we take him, it's a good pick. 

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

This article stated that the Royals are leaning toward Abrams, with their #2 pick. Although I'm pretty sure that few would agree that the Royals would actually prefer Abrams to Witt, that would be interesting, as that would mean that the Sox would have a tough decision. It would mean that they would have to choose between 2 of the consensus top 3. So, if the Sox really had the choice between Vaughn and Witt, which one do you think that they would choose, and which one do you think they should take? If they had to decide at this early stage of the season, my guess is that they would take Vaughn, but I'm not sure that would be the best choice. Witt seems like he certainly has the greater ceiling

This goes to my earlier line of thinking, that there is a distinct possibility that Witt and Abrams go 1-2, and both Rutschman and Vaughn fall to the Sox, out of which I'd hope they'd take Rutschman. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This goes to my earlier line of thinking, that there is a distinct possibility that Witt and Abrams go 1-2, and both Rutschman and Vaughn fall to the Sox, out of which I'd hope they'd take Rutschman. 

I know we are still 3 months away, but as of today there has to be a barely above zero chance at that happening.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I know we are still 3 months away, but as of today there has to be a barely above zero chance at that happening.

I disagree, mostly because of proximity to majors and proximity to contention/critical mass of prospects for both the O's and Royals. They're at least 3-5 seasons away from even a critical mass, let alone contention. They have time to develop Witt and Abrams respectively. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree, mostly because of proximity to majors and proximity to contention/critical mass of prospects for both the O's and Royals. They're at least 3-5 seasons away from even a critical mass, let alone contention. They have time to develop Witt and Abrams respectively. 

That is a terrible reason to pass on better players.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are they better overall talent wise? I'd say they are older and more polished. Witt is probably the most talented of them all.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not necessarily, as if either guy is up within a year or two they'd already be a year or two from free by the time either contend. Also, there is more room for projection with HS players vs college players and both teams may think that Abrams and Witt may have a higher ceiling than Vaughn and Rutschman. Also, Vaughn and Rutschman play positions with lesser value than others, and that could also be taken into account. Vaughn has to be a VERY special player to be picked top 3 as a 1B. I think it is likely one of the two players will be there at #3, with an outside chance at both. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic