2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree, mostly because of proximity to majors and proximity to contention/critical mass of prospects for both the O's and Royals. They're at least 3-5 seasons away from even a critical mass, let alone contention. They have time to develop Witt and Abrams respectively. 

The Royals took like four or five college arms in the first two rounds of the draft last year, they aren’t taking a HS guy with Adley & Vaughn availble.  I could see Baltimore taking Witt with an underslot deal.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Royals took like four or five college arms in the first two rounds of the draft last year, they aren’t taking a HS guy with Adley & Vaughn availble.  I could see Baltimore taking Witt with an underslot deal.

The point is I think one of them will be there, with an outside chance of both being available. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The point is I think one of them will be there, with an outside chance of both being available. 

I get your point Jack, just think your logic is wrong.  The Royals have publically stated they’re going for a quick rebuild and Witt doesn’t fill that strategy when two polished college bats are available.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get your point Jack, just think your logic is wrong.  The Royals have publically stated they’re going for a quick rebuild and Witt doesn’t fill that strategy when two polished college bats are available.

I still think that the likelihood is that Vaughn is there, with Witt going 1st and Rutschman going 2nd. 

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unless Witt is “super Christian.”  I’m only partially joking, Dayton Moore drafts at least 25% on character, supposedly.  Fellowship of Christian Athletes is adjacent to Kauffman.

KC, at any rate, is desperate to to get some demoralized fans back...especially with Perez out for the year and Gordon fading into oblivion.

They select Rutschman, trade Merrifield and Duffy this year and Salvador next. 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Two more homers and counting for Bishop.  Lodolo had a good start, as it was on tv. Didn’t see much of a change up though.

He's been sick this year...made some money for himself this spring.  ASU really has a potent lineup...especially that middle of the order with Aldrete, Torkelson and Bishop.  Vastly overlooked team when the season started.

So, what about Hunter Bishop? Is the rest of his game good enough to vault him into consideration for the 3RD pick. A left handed bat, with that kind of power is certainly intriguing. His strike outs are down and his walks are up. 14 Homers and only 11 strike outs. He seems like a completely different player, from the one he was prior to this year. Anyone have any insight?

He was a football player, who came to baseball late. K.W. will love this guy. Joe Borchard #2. if Rutschman is off the board, I'm leaning toward taking Bishop, providing his production holds up, although he can't continue at this torrid pace. If he can be taken under slot, which is likely, so much the better. 

This article provides some of the insight, for which I was looking:

https://d1baseball.com/features/golden-spikes-spotlight-asus-hunter-bishop/

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

So, what about Hunter Bishop? Is the rest of his game good enough to vault him into consideration for the 3RD pick. A left handed bat, with that kind of power is certainly intriguing. His strike outs are down and his walks are up. 14 Homers and only 11 strike outs. He seems like a completely different player, from the one he was prior to this year. Anyone have any insight?

He was a football player, who came to baseball late. K.W. will love this guy. Joe Borchard #2. if Rutschman is off the board, I'm leaning toward taking Bishop, providing his production holds up, although he can't continue at this torrid pace. If he can be taken under slot, which is likely, so much the better. 

This article provides some of the insight, for which I was looking:

https://d1baseball.com/features/golden-spikes-spotlight-asus-hunter-bishop/

Can't remember which it was, but one of the baseball podcasts I was listening to said he has completely changed his stance and swing from last year. That would make it seem like something has clicked with the changes as opposed to him having a randomly good year. I haven't heard anyone say he is in consideration as high as #3, but I don't see how he isn't is he keeps this up. Its seems like he is similar to Misner, except with a potentially better chance to stay in center, possibly better speed, and power that is already translating to games.

37 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Can't remember which it was, but one of the baseball podcasts I was listening to said he has completely changed his stance and swing from last year. That would make it seem like something has clicked with the changes as opposed to him having a randomly good year. I haven't heard anyone say he is in consideration as high as #3, but I don't see how he isn't is he keeps this up. Its seems like he is similar to Misner, except with a potentially better chance to stay in center, possibly better speed, and power that is already translating to games.

Thank you. That is the kind of insight, which I was hoping someone might provide. At the very least, he provides one more college bat, in the event that both Rutschman and Vaughn are off the boards, by the third pick and Hostetler is determined to draft another collegiate player.

I found this article about a catcher in the Royals system that they’re high. Wonder if this would make them out on Adley? 

More to keep an eye on: After a strong first full  professional season, there's little doubt that MJ Melendez is the heir apparent to Salvador Perez behind the plate in Kansas City. Melendez possesses good power, finishing 2018 with 19 homers and 73 RBIs, but needs to tighten up his approach to become a more well-rounded hitter. He's also good defensively, throwing out more than 40 percent of would-be basestealers and showing overall strong poise as a backstoprofessional season. 

1 hour ago, DH in the NL said:

I found this article about a catcher in the Royals system that they’re high. Wonder if this would make them out on Adley? 

More to keep an eye on: After a strong first full  professional season, there's little doubt that MJ Melendez is the heir apparent to Salvador Perez behind the plate in Kansas City. Melendez possesses good power, finishing 2018 with 19 homers and 73 RBIs, but needs to tighten up his approach to become a more well-rounded hitter. He's also good defensively, throwing out more than 40 percent of would-be basestealers and showing overall strong poise as a backstoprofessional season. 

Would fucking amazing if Witt went #1 and then the Royals decided to take Vaughn because they’re high on an existing catching prospect.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic