2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

I found this article about a catcher in the Royals system that they’re high. Wonder if this would make them out on Adley? 

More to keep an eye on: After a strong first full  professional season, there's little doubt that MJ Melendez is the heir apparent to Salvador Perez behind the plate in Kansas City. Melendez possesses good power, finishing 2018 with 19 homers and 73 RBIs, but needs to tighten up his approach to become a more well-rounded hitter. He's also good defensively, throwing out more than 40 percent of would-be basestealers and showing overall strong poise as a backstoprofessional season. 

Melendez hasn't hit above .250 and has been no higher than A ball...Adley would likely start at A+

I doubt it

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would fucking amazing if Witt went #1 and then the Royals decided to take Vaughn because they’re high on an existing catching prospect.

Would be HUGE to grab a C that could 100% stick behind the dish

Rutschman
Collins
Madrigal
Moncada
Anderson
Jimenez
Robert
Adolfo

Bench: Zavala, Sanchez, Garcia, 

Not to mention Basabe, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker, Burger, Sheets, Rivera, Bush

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Adley hasn't done anything in this series either. Both guys are walking, but neither are hitting.

Adley - 1/6, RBI, 3 BB, 2 K

Vaughn - 0/4, 4 BB, 2 K

Vaughn has been a no show all season against top teams.  Another bad performance for him so far today.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Would fucking amazing if Witt went #1 and then the Royals decided to take Vaughn because they’re high on an existing catching prospect.

That's some Miami Marlins level thinking.

And I'm down for it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

He went 1/5, 2B, RBI, 2 K.

Adley went 2/4, 2 RBI

I really do not see Adley falling to #3 at this point. We are likely looking between Witt Jr., Vaughn, + the field for the #3 overall. 

46 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I really do not see Adley falling to #3 at this point. We are likely looking between Witt Jr., Vaughn, + the field for the #3 overall. 

Crazier things have happened. Adley could get hurt, Prospect fatigue could set in. Witt Jr. could set the world on fire, etc etc

1 hour ago, beautox said:

Crazier things have happened. Adley could get hurt, Prospect fatigue could set in. Witt Jr. could set the world on fire, etc etc

A couple months ago I said Vaughn going to the White Sox seemed almost preordained because it just seemed so White Sox like.

Now I gotta admit - having everyone holding their breath to see if they will pass on a high schooler seems equally White Sox like. 

I don't know, there are more than a couple of scouts who say Witt is going to have to overcome some issues which will make him initially a swing and miss guy. Who thinks the White Sox are the organization that can fix that?  I can't see Adley not going #1, but if he doesn't, #2 has to be a lock. 

If the White Sox are hoping for Vaughn, I am right there with them. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know, there are more than a couple of scouts who say Witt is going to have to overcome some issues which will make him initially a swing and miss guy. Who thinks the White Sox are the organization that can fix that?  I can't see Adley not going #1, but if he doesn't, #2 has to be a lock. 

If the White Sox are hoping for Vaughn, I am right there with them. 

He will, but he's not especially poor. But you just will not get that many shots on up the middle talent with plus defense, speed and power.

I am as scared as anyone of our front office, but I will maintain that one of the reasons the sox are so bad at developing high school talent is because they have not invested in high school talent. Any other number of orgs have failed in greater numbers of high schoolers than the sox, but you get lucky with one and you get the type of athletic talent that doesn't often come to college.

13 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm not an Insider, but anything interesting within? Particularly interested in what he thinks of Bishop.

Said unlikely to stay anywhere but LF or 1b, has a 40 grade arm. Scouts are comparing him to hunter renfroe's ascent, and that if draft were held today he'd go probably top 10. Basically said he'd like to see more of him in conference play where he gets better offspeed stuff.

Not a very flattering writeup of Bryson Stott's offensive game. Said he would put him at the back of the first round personally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Said unlikely to stay anywhere but LF or 1b, has a 40 grade arm. Scouts are comparing him to hunter renfroe's ascent, and that if draft were held today he'd go probably top 10. Basically said he'd like to see more of him in conference play where he gets better offspeed stuff.

Not a very flattering writeup of Bryson Stott's offensive game. Said he would put him at the back of the first round personally.

Thanks. It's a bummer that Bishop's arm grades out so poorly.  I'm pretty meh on the college bats outside of Vaughn and Adley obviously. Give me one of Adley/Vaughn/Witt and I'll be pleased.

26 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Thanks. It's a bummer that Bishop's arm grades out so poorly.  I'm pretty meh on the college bats outside of Vaughn and Adley obviously. Give me one of Adley/Vaughn/Witt and I'll be pleased.

I should add that it was not a negative report on the bat at all, but the other stuff profiled as a fairly limited player.

7 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Did he really say that? A 40 arm won't stop him from playing CF.  There are a lot of CF's with 40 arms.  Mike Trout has a 40 arm. All teams care about is if he has range to go get the ball. Arm strength is almost irrelevant.  

I think Arm strength isn't relative to position. So 40 arm isn't 40 for CF but overall.

Trout doesn't have a good arm for a cf but it still wasn't bad.

Here is a scouting report

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010/10/12/mike-trout-scouting-report

Range is more important but a 40 arm doesn't play cf I think

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Interesting what will happen now with Vaughn coming back down to earth. If he’s not as elite as he originally seemed, would the Sox take him or choose a more toolsy guy with more upside? 

Obviously you have to see how far he falls as BABIP giveth and BABIP taketh away...but he's still such a natural fit for the White Sox that I'll stick with the statement made months ago that they'll take him if he's there. If he ends up the season hitting like .275 that's one thing, but while he's having his numbers go down a bit it looks like compared to 2018 he's actually walking and getting on base more, so I wonder if he's just not being pitched to at all right now and expanding the zone a bit since no one will challenge him. So if his batting average and slugging go down a bit this year, but he actually gets on base more, that's a pretty good sign. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Performance scouting is fun.  Remember when Vaughn and Misner were good.  What a shame......

Has anyone been watching Vaughn lately? With him being the best hitter on the team I wonder if he’s swinging at bad pitches because he doesn’t want to take the walks. Is he trying to do too much, or completely getting blown away?

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic