2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

The speed thing confuses me. Didn't Law say he has below average speed? But FG says 60 grade. That is a big difference. As a pop up guy, the difference between center and left can be a huge difference in value and risk.

I would bet he shows good straight line speed (home to first) but plays a slow OF.  Think Avi Garcia

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Fangraphs recently wrote: "On my current trip, I saw Arizona State LF Hunter Bishop twice. He has been going insane at the plate. He’s now solidly in the first round, with a chance to move into the top half if he continues at this rate (.414/.534/.948, 8 HR in 15 games) because the tools are real (65 raw power, 60 speed)". 

I'm still leaning toward Bishop over Vaughn, so far. Still lots of games left, in the college season, but I like his tools, left handed bat and legitimate CF position, over Vaughn's RH bat and first baseman only. As I mentioned previously, he has only begun to concentrate on baseball, after always dreaming of playing Pro Football. He probably still has lots of room for growth, as a baseball player.

This profile makes me vomit for some reason.

12 hours ago, Lillian said:

Fangraphs recently wrote: "On my current trip, I saw Arizona State LF Hunter Bishop twice. He has been going insane at the plate. He’s now solidly in the first round, with a chance to move into the top half if he continues at this rate (.414/.534/.948, 8 HR in 15 games) because the tools are real (65 raw power, 60 speed)". 

I'm still leaning toward Bishop over Vaughn, so far. Still lots of games left, in the college season, but I like his tools, left handed bat and legitimate CF position, over Vaughn's RH bat and first baseman only. As I mentioned previously, he has only begun to concentrate on baseball, after always dreaming of playing Pro Football. He probably still has lots of room for growth, as a baseball player.

As am I

I bet KW agrees too (Richard, Smith, Fields, Mitchell, believe Hawkins, Michalczewski, Keenyn Walker all played HS football as well)

I've never understood why this is considered a Kenny Williams thing.  Every single team in baseball drafts multi-sport athletes.  It's what scouts look for.  I guess it gets hung on him because the Sox player development department is god awful and can't turn them into good players.  Seems kinda silly when everyone in baseball is drafting the same players.  

• Like 3

I don't think there is a big risk bishop goes the murray route, that was a once in a million situation were all the dices fell the wrong way for the As.

Still think bishop at 3 would be an overdraft, his bat improved tremendously but arm and range aren't really true CF quality. Most sources have him like 8-12 now.

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I don't think there is a big risk bishop goes the murray route, that was a once in a million situation were all the dices fell the wrong way for the As.

Still think bishop at 3 would be an overdraft, his bat improved tremendously but arm and range aren't really true CF quality. Most sources have him like 8-12 now.

Don't believe Bishop still plays football

46 minutes ago, MyNamesRod said:

bishop is an extremely interesting player at this point. Only thing working against him right now is his track record. You guys think if he keeps this up, he’ll be considered at 3? 

Yes he should be in consideration. I think he’s replaced Misner as a possibility to go with Adley, Vaughn, Witt, Abrams and Lodolo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Check out his stats just from SEC play. It is really bad. 

https://mutigers.com/documents/2019/3/30/19MIZ_Season_Stats_SEC_Only_thru_28G_.pdf

.067 batting average in the eight games. Damn. Now my homerness wants him to fall to the second round a la Steele Walker.

But actually, yeah, take him out. I'm beginning to settle on Witt as the person I want at #3 the most unless Adley magically falls.

bleday on fire lately with 5 HR in last 14 ABs. .362/.458/.733 11 HR 20BB 22K

as a team my commodores are hitting .325/.427/.503. Pitching traditionally our strong suit is finally rounding in to form too. Hard to say because in a 3 game super regional anything can happen, but anything other than Omaha will be a disappointment 

8 hours ago, MyNamesRod said:

bishop is an extremely interesting player at this point. Only thing working against him right now is his track record. You guys think if he keeps this up, he’ll be considered at 3? 

I hope so...Not that I'm a pro scout or anything, but this is the best power I've seen from the NCAA in a long time

I really like Bishop's new approach at the plate. Just before the pitch, he does a little half squat, which puts him in the "athletic position. He then uses his legs, as he comes out of the squat, with his swing. What is unusual is that he doesn't assume that squat, until the pitcher is already into his wind up. Seems to work pretty well, for him!!!!

I suspect that his next big challenge is going to be learning to simply take his walks, as it's likely that teams are going to stop pitching to him. However, that Sun Devils lineup is very deep, which might not leave much choice, for opposing teams,  Scary as that is, they may have to give in and pitch to him.

Edited by Lillian

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic