2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Oops. Thanks.

If this keeps up, the top 3 bats might end up being Adley, Vaughn & Bishop.

As of this moment, I would rate the top collegiate players, overall as Adley, Bishop and Vaughn, in that order. I have no idea how one would rank the high school guys against those 3 college players. Witt may go in the top 2, leaving the Sox to choose between Bishop and Vaughn. Again, a lot can change, between now and June. We'll see. Of course, I am only going off of stats and video clips. The professional scouts would have a much better idea. It will be interesting to see how far and how fast Bishop climbs the rankings.

Rutschman having a rough day; 0 for 3 with 3 K's.

Edited by Lillian

Wild game, Arizona State won 17 to 16. Bishop 1 for 2, a double. 4 walks, 1 HBP and 1K. On base 6 times in 7 plate appearances. I guess that answers my question about his ability to take his walks, if opposing pitchers are going to stop pitching to him.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, flavum said:

New toy in nine weeks. 

Need to look at a positive after that game.

I'll take a nice, new, bright shiny left handed, middle of the order bat. Thank you. I know that you don't pick, based upon need, but Bishop may turn out to actually be the "best player available" at number 3. We'll see.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'll take a nice, new, bright shiny left handed, middle of the order bat. Thank you. I know that you don't pick, based upon need, but Bishop may turn out to actually be the "best player available" at number 3. We'll see.

Something I didn't realize until I looked yesterday, he is actually batting behind Torkelson and has been for at least half the season (that's as far back as I looked). I assumed just from looking at their numbers that they were using Torkelson to protect Bishop and that's why he was still getting pitched to while Torkelson wasn't hitting for as much power because teams were pitching around him. Turns out Torkelson bats 2nd and Bishop bats 3rd. It kind of makes what he has been doing even more impressive.

Also, the National High School Invitational (NHSI) is this week. CJ Abrams is going to be there so we should get some more good reports on how he does against good pitching and we might even be able to watch him depending on how his team does. Of note to us, Marist is going to the tournament and they have two outfielders which could be early round picks.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-nhsi-preview?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

31 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Something I didn't realize until I looked yesterday, he is actually batting behind Torkelson and has been for at least half the season (that's as far back as I looked). I assumed just from looking at their numbers that they were using Torkelson to protect Bishop and that's why he was still getting pitched to while Torkelson wasn't hitting for as much power because teams were pitching around him. Turns out Torkelson bats 2nd and Bishop bats 3rd. It kind of makes what he has been doing even more impressive.

Also, the National High School Invitational (NHSI) is this week. CJ Abrams is going to be there so we should get some more good reports on how he does against good pitching and we might even be able to watch him depending on how his team does. Of note to us, Marist is going to the tournament and they have two outfielders which could be early round picks.

Yes, Bishop has been hitting behind Torkelson, all season.

41 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Rece Hinds could be a second round pick option too.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rece Hinds could be a second round pick option too.

On one hand I feel like his hit tool is too raw to risk taking him, but on the other hand I am worried everyone is overthinking it and he is this year's Nolan Gorman. Either way, that IMG squad should be interesting to watch. The tournament will also have my early 2020 draft crush in it with Pete Crow Armstrong. I hope he gets in one of the televised games.

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-draft-stock-watch-revisiting-preseason-to-do-lists/

Interesting list. Vaughn dropped to 4. Abrams is now ahead of him at 3. Bishop not on the list, and Misner dropped to 31.

I would imagine that Bishop will soon be moving up the rankings soon, and will be on almost everyone's top 10 list. His production is hard to ignore.

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I would imagine that Bishop will soon be moving up the rankings soon, and will be on almost everyone's top 10 list. His production is hard to ignore.

Yep. He's number 13 in BA's rankings as of 3/20/19. I expect top 10 in the next update.

19 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-draft-stock-watch-revisiting-preseason-to-do-lists/

Interesting list. Vaughn dropped to 4. Abrams is now ahead of him at 3. Bishop not on the list, and Misner dropped to 31.

I think you might have misread this article. It's revisiting preseason rankings. Also, the number in parenthesis is the current rank. Vaughn is ranked 2nd. Misner is ranked 6th. Misner was 31st to start the season.

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think you might have misread this article. It's revisiting preseason rankings. Also, the number in parenthesis is the current rank. Vaughn is ranked 2nd. Misner is ranked 6th. Misner was 31st to start the season.

Hmmmm, guess I did. Good catch.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic