2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He has a very good chance to be a true 5 tool player. He's super athletic and he absolutely flies.  He has an excellent chance to be an above avg SS, hit and hit for power.  He's about as exciting a prospect as you can get...if you like that kind of thing (which I do).  

Literally no prospect has a "very good chance" to be a true 5 tool player, and I don't know why Abrams of all people would be that godsend 

I mean how many true 5 tool players are there in baseball right now? Can't be more than a few, really 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Literally no prospect has a "very good chance" to be a true 5 tool player, and I don't know why Abrams of all people would be that godsend 

I mean how many true 5 tool players are there in baseball right now? Can't be more than a few, really 

I suppose it depends on the definition you use. If you use the definition I've seen used (50 grade or better in each category), there are more than you think. If you're being more exclusive about it (i.e. requiring a 60 or "plus" grade in each category), then the number will obviously shrink. I don't know that anyone in baseball other than Trout would qualify under the second definition.

Watching video of Abrams, he appears to have a very slender, slight build. One has to wonder whether he would ever have much power, without gaining some weight. and If he were to gain weight, how much of that elite speed would he lose? It seems like he will either have one, or the other, but not both. That's one of the inherent problems of trying to evaluate high school kids. Who knows what he will look like, when he becomes a mature man?

47 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Watching video of Abrams, he appears to have a very slender, slight build. One has to wonder whether he would ever have much power, without gaining some weight. and If he were to gain weight, how much of that elite speed would he lose? It seems like he will either have one, or the other, but not both. That's one of the inherent problems of trying to evaluate high school kids. Who knows what he will look like, when he becomes a mature man?

When is that video from? I know he was really skinny last year but there were reports he had added some bulk since then. Again, hopefully we get to watch him in one of the games this week because I want to see how he looks too.

Kiley chat today.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-4-3-19/

AJ

12:27

Too early to ask about teams & names for the draft? Any White Sox intel this early?

Kiley McDaniel

12:28

Not too early for the top 5 or so. Keep hearing college bats for CHW. Rutschman/Vaughn would presumably be gone and it opens up a lot after that.

Edited by DirtySox

Jake

12:38

Is Shea Langeliers still a first rounder? He's hitting around .250 for a long time now, Cape included

Kiley McDaniel

12:38

Didn't like the look I had, but he was fresh off the DL at that point. He's sliding for sure, but plus catch and throw types with some offensive upside don't last long, so I'd imagine he still goes top 30-40 no matter what

TJ

12:41

When is the 1st 2019 MLB Mock?

Kiley McDaniel

12:41

Haven't planned it, but maybe end of the month?

Mark

12:43

On the amateur side of things, can see that Butler RHP Ryan Pepiot has jumped pretty high on your board. What is the reason for that?

Kiley McDaniel

12:44

Mid-90's heat, Trackman-friendly stuff, bonkers numbers

Sean

12:49

Curious about Brett Baty, his age would suggest that teams might shy away but his trendline keeps heading upwards.  Can he play 3B and is the bad that good?

Kiley McDaniel

12:50

He's basically, tools-wise, in that Torkelson/Beer area where he's really advanced in terms of hit/power and Baty can play 3B for at least a few more years. So he looks ho wa dominant 19 year old would look in terms of tools/performance, like if he was a freshman going nuts in a major conference. Have to move the goalposts a bit in terms of comps/evaluation when someone is that old

Edited by DirtySox

If Rutschman and Vaughn are gone and the Sox are committed to grabbing a college bat then they’d have to go Bishop at this point. I’d be disappointed if they went with someone like stott. Hopefully they’ll be picking between Vaughn and Bishop when the time comes 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bmags said:

We should be just as worried over Bishop losing a step.

If Bishop loses a step, but still hits, I'd take that. Moreover, he's closer to being physically mature, as he will turn 21 in a couple of months. Isn't it a lot harder to project future physical stature, for a high school kid?

Edited by Lillian

21 hours ago, bmags said:

We should be just as worried over Bishop losing a step.

I agree. Bishop is fast for his size but that doesn't tend to age well, most guys that are fast into their late 20s are slimmer guys. I don't think bishop is a CF for long if he is a CF at all.

If the Sox take Bishop, he likely ends up in right field. That's probably the only outfield spot open, with Eloy and Robert almost locks for LF and CF. I understand that there is quite a potential log jam for RF, but Bishop would be fine there, if his arm is good enough. 

35 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox take Bishop, he likely ends up in right field. That's probably the only outfield spot open, with Eloy and Robert almost locks for LF and CF. I understand that there is quite a potential log jam for RF, but Bishop would be fine there, if his arm is good enough. 

Apparently he has a pretty bad arm. So it might be closer to Eloy at 1B and Bishop in left.

17 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Apparently he has a pretty bad arm. So it might be closer to Eloy at 1B and Bishop in left.

Where did you find a scouting report on his arm? I haven't seen anything. Thanks. It wouldn't surprise me it Eloy ends up at 1B. He doesn't profile best as an outfielder and this system has a lot of potential outfielders. If the Sox draft Bishop for LF. Let Adolfo, Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez and Walker compete for the RF slot.

Here is an interesting and insightful article about Bishop: 

https://www.usabaseball.com/golden-spikes-award/news/gsa-spotlight-hunter-bishop/c-305521148?tid=216631556

It does state that his arm is his only "fringe to average" tool. This quote from his coach speaks volumes about why he is such and intriguing prospect:

"I think it's just funny, I've been thinking a lot about this, I hear guys talk about it. As always, you try to pick apart what he doesn't do - 'Oh he doesn't have any history, this and that.' I'm sitting here saying, 'I dunno, I've coached some pretty darn good players in my career. This guy's a freak, physically,'" Smith said. "He hits balls as far as anybody I've ever coached, he runs as fast as anybody I've ever coached. So not having history? To me that's a plus. Look at the jumps that he's made, to me it's the tip of the iceberg. There aren't people I've seen out there in college baseball doing what he's doing, not many of them, quite frankly in the last 10 years. His bat speed, it's ridiculous. He's in the same breath as Schwarber and Travis, but faster. I think he has the ability to play center field in the big leagues with that power. That's rare, I think."

On 4/3/2019 at 7:23 AM, GenericUserName said:

When is that video from? I know he was really skinny last year but there were reports he had added some bulk since then. Again, hopefully we get to watch him in one of the games this week because I want to see how he looks too.

There is some Abrams video from yesterday's NHSI in this article. I think it's paid content though. Will share the blurb about him though.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-national-high-school-invitational-day-1-hitters-notebook/

The top-ranked prospect at the NHSI at No. 4 on the BA 300, Abrams drew quite a crowd of scouts as his Blessed Trinity team beat Marist (Chicago) High, 3-0. While Abrams went hitless with a groundout and a pair of flyouts, what stood out was his shortstop defense, particularly with scouts wondering whether he is better suited to center field at the next level.

He made all four plays that came to them, and while none of them were exceptionally challenging, he made everything look easy with fluid footwork, soft hands and accurate throws from a number of positions on the dirt.

His first two attempts both pulled him to the third base side. On his first attempt he didn’t have to move much, but got around the ball well and put himself in a good position to make an easy throw across the diamond. On his second he was pulled deeper into the hole and timed a long hop well, again setting his feet well and making a long, accurate throw with no problem.

His final attempts both pulled him up the middle of the diamond, where he needed to use less arm strength and made a pair of accurate throws from lower arm slots that were again—right on the money. With easy plus speed, quick, choppy footwork, a solid throwing arm and clean glovework, there wasn’t much Abrams did Wednesday that would lead you to think he couldn’t handle the position.

Offensively, he was aggressive and put the bat on a few bad pitches early in the count in multiple at-bats, so scouts will be looking for more competitive trips to the plate the rest of the week.

Edited by DirtySox

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sure they can Ricky Williams the draft though I'm not sure that would be the smartest use of their pool money.  Maybe if there was a Bryce Harper/Ken Griffey Jr/A-Rod type player available.  Adley is really good but he's not a generational talent.

but 9 million is only 56% of their total pool. 8.3 Million is 66% of baltimores, that's why I'm wondering if it's really "ricky williamsing"

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

There is some Abrams video from yesterday's NHSI in this article. I think it's paid content though. Will share the blurb about him though.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-national-high-school-invitational-day-1-hitters-notebook/

That's interesting. That leads me to my own preference of not really caring about projecting based off of things like fluidity on an 18 year old with plenty of fast twitch and athleticism. It seems odd that a few more years of reps couldn't make him good at shortstop. I think scouts get too cute with defensive and body projections.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

but 9 million is only 56% of their total pool. 8.3 Million is 66% of baltimores, that's why I'm wondering if it's really "ricky williamsing"

That's still an awfully big chunk when you have 13 other players to sign.  I think a more likely scenario would be pushing down a guy like Riley Greene for around $5M.  Either way Zona is in the drivers seat and it's going to be interesting to see how they play it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Where did you find a scouting report on his arm? I haven't seen anything. Thanks. It wouldn't surprise me it Eloy ends up at 1B. He doesn't profile best as an outfielder and this system has a lot of potential outfielders. If the Sox draft Bishop for LF. Let Adolfo, Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez and Walker compete for the RF slot.

I think Law had a report about him only being a left fielder and then fangraphs has his arm as a 35.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic