2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

59 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Seems FanGraphs has updated their board recently. I don't recall them having where they would fit in the current top 100 on so many players last time. I find the difference in Witt and Abrams pretty interesting in that regard.

image.png

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-mlb-draft?sort=-1,1&type=0

Hopefully Lodolo gains enough helium to go 3rd, I'd appreciate them taking the best LHP in the draft class. They're really thin at LHP in the system. I don't want another 1B or OF. If he doesn't, so be it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hopefully Lodolo gains enough helium to go 3rd, I'd appreciate them taking the best LHP in the draft class. They're really thin at LHP in the system. I don't want another 1B or OF. If he doesn't, so be it. 

You can’t worry about what the system needs. Go BPA and worry about it later. Better to build depth and trade for need than draft for need.

• Like 1

Who would be in favor of taking Bishop, if he should climb a couple more places, from his current #9, assuming that he continues to perform well, albeit not at his current insane pace? It's unrealistic to expect him to hit like this, all season.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

You can’t worry about what the system needs. Go BPA and worry about it later. Better to build depth and trade for need than draft for need.

It isn't really that, it is that they're going to run out of spots for OFers again. They're already struggling in Birmingham. 

In baseball especially, there is no reason not to take the best player on your board each and every round. (other than slot considerations) I get that. There is just a huge OF logjam at A+ and AA and adding another OF to the mix doesn't sound prudent unless they're going to trade a couple this summer. 

There is also this little weird thing called options, and Basabe/Adolfo only have 1 left after this season. Their injuries are killing the Sox in that regard. Both guys might have to be moved along to a team that can afford to see what they have at the MLB level, as much as it would hurt. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't really that, it is that they're going to run out of spots for OFers again. They're already struggling in Birmingham. 

In baseball especially, there is no reason not to take the best player on your board each and every round. (other than slot considerations) I get that. There is just a huge OF logjam at A+ and AA and adding another OF to the mix doesn't sound prudent unless they're going to trade a couple this summer. 

There is also this little weird thing called options, and Basabe/Adolfo only have 1 left after this season. Their injuries are killing the Sox in that regard. Both guys might have to be moved along to a team that can afford to see what they have at the MLB level, as much as it would hurt. 

Ouch!! I didn't realize that Basabe and Adolfo only have one option left, after this season. That really complicates things. They better get back on the field and put up some numbers, so that they could at least net something worthwhile, in a trade. Makes me even more inclined to ultimately move Eloy to first base.

7 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Wouldn't they just need to be added to the 40 man roster? We have enough dead weight on the 40 man to be able to keep both.

They’re on the 40 man roster right now and as a result they’re burning through options.  Ideally you don’t add a guy to the 40 man roster until they reach the majors or AAA.  Unfortunately that was not an option with Adolfo & Basabe.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

And that's an excellent problem to have. Sox will move the guys they can't accommodate for equal quality talent that fill other areas of need. Hahn has even mentioned as such that they have explored prospect-for-prospect trades in the past, but did not pull the trigger. Eloy, Basabe, Robert, Gonzalez, Adolfo, Rutherford, and Walker are not all going to get a chance to play on the White Sox. In fact, I'd even go so far to say I would not be surprised to see one of them moved this season.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

And that's an excellent problem to have. Sox will move the guys they can't accommodate for equal quality talent that fill other areas of need. Hahn has even mentioned as such that they have explored prospect-for-prospect trades in the past, but did not pull the trigger. Eloy, Basabe, Robert, Gonzalez, Adolfo, Rutherford, and Walker are not all going to get a chance to play on the White Sox. In fact, I'd even go so far to say I would not be surprised to see one of them moved this season.

I'd have to think that should they perform, Adolfo and Basabe are going to be the first to go. 

Callis was on the pipeline podcast and he talked a bit about Bishop. Said he has good speed and defense and really cut his strikeout rate. If draft were today he would could be top 5 and probably wouldn't make it past the top 10. He said he and Bleday are both probably in that 6-10 area right now.

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

Who would be in favor of taking Bishop, if he should climb a couple more places, from his current #9, assuming that he continues to perform well, albeit not at his current insane pace? It's unrealistic to expect him to hit like this, all season.

Assuming he keeps this up, he's my favorite college bat this year...I want either Bishop or Witt at 3 as of now (assuming Adley is gone)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lillian said:

Ouch!! I didn't realize that Basabe and Adolfo only have one option left, after this season. That really complicates things. They better get back on the field and put up some numbers, so that they could at least net something worthwhile, in a trade. Makes me even more inclined to ultimately move Eloy to first base.

That's the one drawback to signing a 16 year old.

Mike

12:40

Do you think JJ Bleday's performance to this point has pushed him ahead of some of the other college bats who have struggled of late and potentially as high as the top 5 (thinking specifically Detroit, considering their draft history)?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:41

Yeah Im sure he's passed others based on performance. Top 5 feels rich but I could see someone preferring his perceived certainty over that of Riley Greene or one of the other high school bats, even the higher probability ones.

Plural of Moose

12:42

Hunter Bishop has been ridic lately. Chance he goes top 5 at this point?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:42

Again, kind of rich for me. Top 10-12? Yeah. Are teams gonna look at his trak record, see he's been good just one year, an get scared? Some might.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/eric-longenhagen-chat-4-5-19/

Edited by DirtySox

16 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't think it will be prospect for prospect, nobody likes to do that. Kiley once explained that saying it would alienate the player dev and scouting department because they tend to think they have the better guys, not sure if that is true though.

I think it will be more for young major leaguers with 3-4 years of control.

18 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They’re on the 40 man roster right now and as a result they’re burning through options.  Ideally you don’t add a guy to the 40 man roster until they reach the majors or AAA.  Unfortunately that was not an option with Adolfo & Basabe.

Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that they can stay in the minors for all of this year and all of next year, but then they have to play the 2021 season with the big league club?  And they can't be sent down at all in 2021 without risk of another team claiming them?

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that they can stay in the minors for all of this year and all of next year, but then they have to play the 2021 season with the big league club?  And they can't be sent down at all in 2021 without risk of another team claiming them?

That’s my understanding, yes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yes, that is correct. They’ll probably both get a long look next spring. Basabe could be up by the end of this year though.

• Thanks 1

Btw I think the BPA thing in principle is right but also gets overblown. Sure if a player is clearly better you take him but you also need a balance in the system and if 2-3 guys are very similar in expected outcome teams often take a guy in which the system is lacking because they don't love to trade away top prospects because in every trade the opponent has a little more information on your target than you have (medical stuff, knowledge of work ethic...).

You would never take a clearly inferior player in the top10 but if 2-3 guys are essentially considered a wash it does play a role what you need.

14 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Btw I think the BPA thing in principle is right but also gets overblown. Sure if a player is clearly better you take him but you also need a balance in the system and if 2-3 guys are very similar in expected outcome teams often take a guy in which the system is lacking because they don't love to trade away top prospects because in every trade the opponent has a little more information on your target than you have (medical stuff, knowledge of work ethic...).

You would never take a clearly inferior player in the top10 but if 2-3 guys are essentially considered a wash it does play a role what you need.

I think the annoying part about it is the assumption that there are clear, linear differing grades between each prospect. Sox may very well (though poorly!) grade 3 guys similarly at 3. Taking one who fits best makes sense, but also theres a chance the guy behind blossoms more due to better player dev/prospectsbeingprospects

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic