2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

MLB Pipeline on their latest podcast did a mock top 10. They had the Royals taking Witt Jr and the Sox taking Vaughn. They cited the fact that the Royals just drafted Pratto with their 1st RD pick in 2017 as well as their love for athleticism as reasons for them taking Witt Jr. 

I feel like the chances are good that at least one of BAL/KC are either going to grab one of the prep bats, or decide to get cute and cut a deal with someone surprising. Vaughn is destined to be the White Sox pick IMO. He fits the draft tendencies and proclivities of the organization to a T.

53 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I feel like the chances are good that at least one of BAL/KC are either going to grab one of the prep bats, or decide to get cute and cut a deal with someone surprising. Vaughn is destined to be the White Sox pick IMO. He fits the draft tendencies and proclivities of the organization to a T.

I think I agree with you.  Though my personal preference has moved to Witt in the last couple weeks.  I think he is more what the system needs.

Longehagen chat tidbits. Nothing too crazy or substantial.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/eric-longenhagen-chat-4-12-2019/

Lilith

12:05

Why do you prefer Abrams over Witt?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:05

Better feel to hit

Kvn

12:06

How does Adley compare to recent 1/1 candidates?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:06

We like him a little more than most recent 1-1s

AS

12:14

Only 2 of Bishop's 16 HR's have come on the road. Red flag?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:14

ASU plays a lot of home games early, skewing that ratio.

like it's not a 50/50 split so the dinger shouldn't be, either

Top 5?

12:27

Vaughn still going 2nd?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:28

I'd still take him there, yeah

Larry Legend

12:33

There seems to be very little talk about Corbin Carroll. How has he looked this spring?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:34

He looks good, saw him last week. A little stronger now, arm is plus, he's a 6 or 7 runner with feel for CF, pull power isn't there but he whacks it to all fields. Dbacks were in heavy to see him, they pick 16. Think he's in the early/mid first round mix

Jeff

12:39

How would you say Vaughn’s bat compares to Bryant when KB was coming out of school?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:39

better feel for contact, raw power is less explosive

NICE, GARY!!

12:41

Are you still bullish on Carter Stewart? Or does his up-and-down spring diminish his stock?

Eric A Longenhagen

less so

Mike

Riley Greene took a big tumble in The Board recently. Is he out as far as a top 5-7 pick? Also, is it fair to say this class has been disappointing in terms of performance to this point this season? Seems like more guys are dropping that jumping up.

Eric A Longenhagen

12:42

I like this class and think Greene is one of the better high school bats in it, don't think he tumbled as much as we're just more clearly lining guys up.

Is Daniel Espino a top-10 pick?

Eric A Longenhagen

probably not

Edited by DirtySox

Longenhagen is better on podcasts/audio, really don't like his chats. He jokes a lot about how people think he is mean on chats, but has also leaned even more that way and is so terse it seems like there's no point in reading it.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Longenhagen is better on podcasts/audio, really don't like his chats. He jokes a lot about how people think he is mean on chats, but has also leaned even more that way and is so terse it seems like there's no point in reading it.

Law can kinda be that way too. The one or two word answers that don't really add anything. I think I like Kiley's chats the best of the three.

23 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Law can kinda be that way too. The one or two word answers that don't really add anything. I think I like Kiley's chats the best of the three.

Yeah, and...I mean they choose the questions. Don't answer it if you don't have anything to add.

Vaughn was 3 for 4, with a double. Seems to be back on track.

Bishop was 1 for 4 with his 17TH homer, (in just 32 games). I still prefer him, over Vaughn. Left handed hitter, with good speed, over a right handed, first baseman, with average speed. Vaughn has been a "baseball rat," his whole life. Imagine what Bishop would be doing, if he had always dedicated himself to baseball.

I'm not generally in favor of the idea of going after great athletes, with the hope that they can be turned into baseball players. However, what intrigues me about Bishop is that he has now established himself as a legitimate baseball player, even though he has come to the sport late in his athletic career. That suggests that he still has a lot of room for growth. It's scary to think about how good he might be, if he continues to develop. In the meantime, what he has already accomplished this year is quite remarkable. For me, it isn't even close. I'd take him over any other college player, with the possible exception of Rutschman, because Adley is a switch hitting catcher. 

Edited by Lillian

15 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

For those of you that follow the draft more closely, who do we THINK the White Sox will take with their 1st pick?

Vaughn if he's there. If not, one of the next tier of college bats. Bishop/Stott/Bleday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I know you don't draft for need, but man, Vaughn's power, hit tool, eye, and solid D would fit very nicely into a White Sox lineup. A middle of the lineup featuring Yoan, Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, and TA would be mighty fine.

Also I hate the idea of Stott because where does he play if you have Yoan, Timmy and Madrigal?

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I know you don't draft for need, but man, Vaughn's power, hit tool, eye, and solid D would fit very nicely into a White Sox lineup. A middle of the lineup featuring Yoan, Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, and TA would be mighty fine.

That does look solid on paper, and you didn't even include Madrigal and Collins. But that lineup would be very right handed heavy.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Vaughn will be there.  I think O’s go underslot with Witt at #1 and Royals take Adley at #2.  The Sox will pounce on  Vaughn if that happens IMO.

I agree,I think there’s a real solid chance one of either the O’s or Royals go underslot with one the HS talents recognizing their timeline to be competititive again. Sox should have their pick between Vaughn or Adley which is perfect

• Love 1

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic