2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

If Graeme Stinson ends up needing TJ surgery, could he be in the mix for our second round pick? I haven't seen any suggestion that he will need it, but as common as that has become, and given his otherwise inexplicable loss of velocity, I'm suspicious:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/04/still-no-timeline-for-duke-baseball-ace-graeme-stinson-injury-mlb-draft

46 minutes ago, daa84 said:

2 more HR for bleday. 19 on the year. I still don’t think he’s the right pick at 3 but it’s getting to the point where it would be hard to be mad if he got taken at 3

The thing that is appealing about Bleday is the high floor.  He has a long track record of hitting for average.  If the power is real, he’s an above average regular, maybe occasional all star. And he has the arm for right.  If it’s average power, he’s still probably a major leaguer.  Harder to imagine him busting than Bishop.  Also, he’s faced better pitching.  But, yeah, I would still prefer Witt.

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The thing that is appealing about Bleday is the high floor.  He has a long track record of hitting for average.  If the power is real, he’s an above average regular, maybe occasional all star. And he has the arm for right.  If it’s average power, he’s still probably a major leaguer.  Harder to imagine him busting than Bishop.  Also, he’s faced better pitching.  But, yeah, I would still prefer Witt.

I'm warming up to the idea of taking Bleday. One of the reasons that I have been partial to Bishop is that he hits left handed. You know me. I'm always mindful of the need for balance and too many of our anticipated best hitters are right handed. Bleday would provide that balance. If the Sox take a college bat, I would prefer that it be a left handed bat. Bishop and Bleday both qualify, in that regard. I also like that he has the arm to play RF. Give me a middle of the order, left handed bat, and I'll be happy. Yes, I know "best player available" is still the rule.

Edited by Lillian

4 homers, in this weekends 3 games, versus Alabama. Bleday now has 20 homers, in 40 games. Sign me up!!!!!! Oh, and did I mention that he hits left handed. LOL. Someone tell me why he shouldn't be whom the Sox select, if Rutschman is off the board, before the Sox #3 pick. At least, at this point, anyway. And last year, we all thought that Seth Beer was intriguing. This guy is even more intriguing. My only question is; where was his power, prior to this year? What has he discovered?

Edited by Lillian

I was as high on Vaughn, as anyone, after his Golden Spikes, Sophomore year. However, with other viable college bat options, a right handed hitting, first baseman just doesn't seem like the best selection, at #3. Bleday and Bishop are both more intriguing to me.

Edited by Lillian

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I was as high on Vaughn, as anyone, after his Golden Spikes, Sophomore year. However, with other viable college bat options, a right handed hitting, first baseman just doesn't seem like the best selection, at #3. Bleday and Bishop are both more intriguing to me.

Yeah, with Jimenez already a bat-only right-handed hitter, Vaughn seems like a pretty one-dimensional pick at 1-3.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Please don’t draft at #3 based on current major league needs.  Take BPA and be done with it.

I agree, however doesn't a left handed hitting, middle of the order bat, who is not going to be relegated exclusively to first base, have more value than a player with Vaughn's profile? I thought that is was the consensus here that a right handed hitting first baseman is one of the least valuable profiles, for a prospect. A good offensive and defensive catcher, and a SS, who can hit are obviously some of the most valued, but Rutschman probably will not be there at #3 and the Sox aren't normally willing to take a high schooler. Therefore, if it is going to come down to a college bat, who has the most valuable profile? 

Edited by Lillian

16 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree, however doesn't a left handed hitting, middle of the order bat, who is not going to be relegated exclusively to first base, have more value than a player with Vaughn's profile? I thought that is was the consensus here that a right handed hitting first baseman is one of the least valuable profiles, for a prospect. A good offensive and defensive catcher, and a SS, who can hit are obviously some of the most valued, but Rutschman probably will not be there at #3 and the Sox aren't normally willing to take a high schooler. Therefore, if it is going to come down to a college bat, who has the most valuable profile? 

The best player in franchise history was a right handed 1B only guy.  Profiles are fine for a general rule of thumb, but if Vaughn’s hit & power tools are as good as advertised, I’m not passing on him because there are other options who are left-handed or can play a corner OF spot.  Again, just take BPA whether that’s Vaughn or one of the HS kids.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The best player in franchise history was a right handed 1B only guy.  Profiles are fine for a general rule of thumb, but if Vaughn’s hit & power tools are as good as advertised, I’m not passing on him because there are other options who are left-handed or can play a corner OF spot.  Again, just take BPA whether that’s Vaughn or one of the HS kids.

I completely agree. it would be great if the best player available wasn't a right handed 1b but that might not be the case. Everybody understands why certain profiles are more valuable than others. Which makes Vaughn that much more impressive. Most evaluators have him as the #2 prospect, even while being a right handed 1b.

• Love 1

I know I'm in the minority, but I think that a team absolutely should look at its MLB roster (and organization as a whole) when making a draft decision at the top of the first round, not just go with BPA.  Two reasons for this.  First, BPA is a subjective concept.  When comparing a high school position player and a college pitcher, how do you determine which is the best player available?  Apples to oranges.  You can go off of ranking services (like Fangraphs), but those guys have all been wrong before and will be again.  They have Abrams ranked higher than Lodolo, so Abrams is the BPA between the two?  Just an opinion.  Second, when you stick religiously to BPA (namely on the position side), you're bound to run into situations where you have to move guys off the best positions.  This arguably happened last year when the Sox drafted Madrigal (who I personally thought was the BPA at 4).  That put a lot of pressure on the Sox to move Moncada to third.  That seems to have worked out, but it could have failed miserably.  Had they signed Machado, what would the answer have been?  Move Moncada to the outfield?  Trade Madrigal?  Anderson might be turning into an elite shortstop before our eyes.  With the subjectivity of BPA, does it really make sense to draft Witt when Anderson's under team control for the next 6 years?  A lot of Witt's value is in his defense at short (and similarly Anderson), and the Sox would have to move one of those guys.

46 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I think that a team absolutely should look at its MLB roster (and organization as a whole) when making a draft decision at the top of the first round, not just go with BPA.  Two reasons for this.  First, BPA is a subjective concept.  When comparing a high school position player and a college pitcher, how do you determine which is the best player available?  Apples to oranges.  You can go off of ranking services (like Fangraphs), but those guys have all been wrong before and will be again.  They have Abrams ranked higher than Lodolo, so Abrams is the BPA between the two?  Just an opinion.  Second, when you stick religiously to BPA (namely on the position side), you're bound to run into situations where you have to move guys off the best positions.  This arguably happened last year when the Sox drafted Madrigal (who I personally thought was the BPA at 4).  That put a lot of pressure on the Sox to move Moncada to third.  That seems to have worked out, but it could have failed miserably.  Had they signed Machado, what would the answer have been?  Move Moncada to the outfield?  Trade Madrigal?  Anderson might be turning into an elite shortstop before our eyes.  With the subjectivity of BPA, does it really make sense to draft Witt when Anderson's under team control for the next 6 years?  A lot of Witt's value is in his defense at short (and similarly Anderson), and the Sox would have to move one of those guys.

You are in the minority, but I think the Sox drafting philosophy aligns well with what you are saying. 2020 will be year #4 of the rebuild. The Sox are going to be drafting a player that can get up to the big leagues quickly. They don't have the time or luxury to draft a Witt or Abrams and let them develop in the minors for 4-5 years. 

54 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If TA is really blocking somebody who is an MLB ready short stop in a few years, you can trade either one for a kings ransom. Or who knows, maybe somebody gets hurt. Drafting for need in baseball is silly. if you get the best player available they can be worth something either through a trade or on your own club. 

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

You are in the minority, but I think the Sox drafting philosophy aligns well with what you are saying. 2020 will be year #4 of the rebuild. The Sox are going to be drafting a player that can get up to the big leagues quickly. They don't have the time or luxury to draft a Witt or Abrams and let them develop in the minors for 4-5 years. 

I don't get this, if Witt or Abrams have great starts to their career, they will be as valuable as anything else. They could be traded for immediate needs, maybe not elite, but could certainly use them as the centerpiece for great talent controlled for several years.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not sure if this was posted and can’t remember where I saw it, but rumor is Orioles between Adley and Witt Jr

1. Orioles - Witt Jr
  2. Royals - Vaughn
  3. Sox - Rutschman

Possible but seems crazy two teams would pass on Adley.  That being said, I truly believe the Orioles will take Witt in a underslot deal.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic