2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:
  1. Orioles - Witt Jr
  2. Royals - Vaughn
  3. Sox - Rutschman

Possible but seems crazy two teams would pass on Adley.  That being said, I truly believe the Orioles will take Witt in a underslot deal.

Doesn't one of Witt's uncles or something work for the Os?

m-m-m-m-m-m-MOCK DRAFT SEASON

3. White Sox – Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal
With a recent run in the past three drafts of safer-skewing, college hitters in Chicago’s top three round picks (Nick Madrigal, Steele Walker, Jake Burger, Gavin Sheets, Luis Gonzalez, Zack Collins, Alex Call), and a rebuild reaching the critical stages, a quick-to-the-majors prospect makes the most sense here. With Jose Abreu on the downside of his career, Vaughn even fills a need: exactly what the White Sox are looking for here. Nick Lodolo sounds like the most likely backup option if Vaughn and Rutschman go first and second. GM Rick Hahn has seen C.J. Abrams this spring and some teams think the Sox would take Witt if he slides, but none of those alternate scenarios seem likely, with almost everyone in the industry saying Chicago wants a collegiate player here and covet Vaughn.

italics my own

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-1-0-the-top-ten/

Seen the FG's first mock

I think Mike Evans whos been around a successful rebuild knows all too well their window doesn't line up with an above average catcher. I think they go Witt or Abarms #1 spread their pool around on any high school talents that fall and senior signs they can pick up cheaply, to start providing depth and layers of talent. 

As for KC, based off their system I don't see them in on Rutschman or Vaughn for similar reasons to the Os and also because that is a point of strength across multiple levels in their org is catching and their '17 number 1 overall pick was Protto a first basemen. To me based on their history they're more likely to take Witt, Abrams or Greene followed by Lodolo or Manoah, then either Rutschman or Vaughn.

If Adley makes it to three I'll be stupid hyped.  I still expect it to go either Adley/Witt/Vaughn, or Witt/Adley/Vaughn. No matter the window, I feel like either KC or BAL won't pass up the best player in the class by far at a premier position. Timeline be damned.

• Like 1

Vaughn has had a good year, but not quite as good as last year. Moreover, there are other college hitters, having better years. Apparently, that hasn't deterred the scouts, who are still considering Vaughn to be one of the two, top collegiate Juniors. I don't really understand it, but I'm not a scout, and haven't seen any of the top college players, in person and very little video. 

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

If Adley makes it to three I'll be stupid hyped.  I still expect it to go either Adley/Witt/Vaughn, or Witt/Adley/Vaughn. No matter the window, I feel like either KC or BAL won't pass up the best player in the class by far at a premier position. Timeline be damned.

Yeah I just don't see a scenario he gets past Royals. 

15 minutes ago, beautox said:

Seen the FG's first mock

I think Mike Evans whos been around a successful rebuild knows all too well their window doesn't line up with an above average catcher. I think they go Witt or Abarms #1 spread their pool around on any high school talents that fall and senior signs they can pick up cheaply, to start providing depth and layers of talent. 

As for KC, based off their system I don't see them in on Rutschman or Vaughn for similar reasons to the Os and also because that is a point of strength across multiple levels in their org is catching and their '17 number 1 overall pick was Protto a first basemen. To me based on their history they're more likely to take Witt, Abrams or Greene followed by Lodolo or Manoah, then either Rutschman or Vaughn.

The Royals took five college arms in the first two rounds last year.  They’re trying to rebuild as quickly as possible and will almost certainly take a college player at #2.  I’d be shocked if they passed on both Adley and Vaughn.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Vaughn has had a good year, but not quite as good as last year. Moreover, there are other college hitters, having better years. Apparently, that hasn't deterred the scouts, who are still considering Vaughn to be one of the two, top collegiate Juniors. I don't really understand it, but I'm not a scout, and haven't seen any of the top college players, in person and very little video. 

Can't just scout the stat line. As Law has noted:

Keith Law: The bat is that fucking good, man.

Edited by DirtySox

Also does having a suddenly great last year mean more than someone with Vaughns track record? I mean, it's hard to do better than a year with more home runs than strikeouts, but to have a year where that happens regardless is incredible.

I don't think timeline is going to influence anyone's pick at the top.  Jr is a very polished player and will move quickly. He'll be in the big leagues in 2 years. Catchers take time so Rutschman will be around the same.  Vaughn may (may) move a little faster but not enough for it to matter much.  I don't see how the Royals pass on the 2nd best player in the draft for someone who will get there a short time sooner.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't think timeline is going to influence anyone's pick at the top.  Jr is a very polished player and will move quickly. He'll be in the big leagues in 2 years. Catchers take time so Rutschman will be around the same.  Vaughn may (may) move a little faster but not enough for it to matter much.  I don't see how the Royals pass on the 2nd best player in the draft for someone who will get there a short time sooner.

Witt Jr is talented but even Correa took 4 years to make the show. I'd put Witt on the same level as Rodgers and hes at 5 years and counting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No way is Bobby Witt Jr 2 years away.

Not sure why you think he's 2 years from the show when he hasn't even had a professional AB. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Here's my top 10.  Same players slightly different order.  

1. Baltimore Adley Rutschman    
2. Kansas City Bobby Witt Jr    
3. Chicago WS Andrew Vaughn    
4. Miami CJ Abrams    
5. Detroit JJ Bleday    
6. San Diego Riley Greene    
7. Cincinnati Nick Lodolo    
8. Texas Hunter Bishop    
9. Atlanta Alek Manoah    
10. San Francisco Bryson Stott    

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jr is far more polished than Correa was.  

Says what? 

No one is projecting Bobby Witt Jr to be in the big leagues at 20. If he was that good hed be the consensus #1 pick.

Moniak was as good of a high school prospect and in his 4th year of milb baseball he's at AA with a 672 ops.

It's not that crazy. He'd be 19 basically at draft, Jo Addell was in AA last year at 19 (got injured) but could very well have been a 20/21 year old. Assuming HLL doesn't count much of his draft year, 2022 isn't that crazy for a top 3 high school draft pick to make it unless the team didn't want them up.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Says what? 

No one is projecting Bobby Witt Jr to be in the big leagues at 20. If he was that good hed be the consensus #1 pick.

Moniak was as good of a high school prospect and in his 4th year of milb baseball he's at AA with a 672 ops.

Relatively speaking, Moniak is a disappointment.  He wasn’t the consensus top high school hitter that year either.  Turns out the consensus knew what they were talking about.  Witt Jr has been a must follow in the class for years.  Waaaaay better track record than Moniak.  Concern is, he is old for his class.  6 months younger, I bet he would be number 1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's not that crazy. He'd be 19 basically at draft, Jo Addell was in AA last year at 19 (got injured) but could very well have been a 20/21 year old. Assuming HLL doesn't count much of his draft year, 2022 isn't that crazy for a top 3 high school draft pick to make it unless the team didn't want them up.

Yep.  Making it to the big leagues at 21 is not a far stretch. Baez and Lindor both debuted at that age.   Gorman and Kelenic are on the path.  

13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Relatively speaking, Moniak is a disappointment.  He wasn’t the consensus top high school hitter that year either.  Turns out the consensus knew what they were talking about.  Witt Jr has been a must follow in the class for years.  Waaaaay better track record than Moniak.  Concern is, he is old for his class.  6 months younger, I bet he would be number 1.

You cant be a high schooler and have a way better track record than a #1 pick - regardless of your opinion of him being over drafted. Moniak was the 17th ranked prospect in baseball following his draft so the consensus in the baseball community certainly was not that there were better high schoolers available.

Saying Witt is 2 years away after the draft is crazy. A lot of people dominate high school baseball. I hit 445 my senior year and then proceeded to hit 206 my freshman year at a mid-tier program. Bobby Witt is obviously 100000 times better but projecting a high schoolers adjustment to professional baseball is really hard and expecting him to be up before even his 22nd birthday is ambitious none the less claiming he's as close to the big league as Vaughn (could probably hit mlb pitching today) and Andy just isnt true.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic