2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

I, as much as anyone, love to pile on the Sox for being "dumb". As of late, though, they have generally been taking players that the scouting community as a whole agree on with their pick. Witt is as hyped up as Adley and Vaughn, and if he falls to three I think the Sox will take him. Remember, Rick Hahn's goal is "sustained success" and for that to happen you need waves of prospects. Witt would be an excellent pick for that reason. Honestly, I'd be super happy with any of the top three. It sounds like Vaughn could have MVP ceiling in that bat. I know many would prefer Witt or Adley, but Vaughn could be a real damn good consolation prize. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how Witt and Abrams are performing thus far? Is there a website that features HS box scores? From what I read, Vaughn, while still putting up impressive numbers, has not distinguished himself as he did last year as the Golden Spikes winner. If this year's version is the 'real' Vaughn, I could see going HS IF.  

20 hours ago, Flash said:

Does anyone know how Witt and Abrams are performing thus far? Is there a website that features HS box scores? From what I read, Vaughn, while still putting up impressive numbers, has not distinguished himself as he did last year as the Golden Spikes winner. If this year's version is the 'real' Vaughn, I could see going HS IF.  

Yeah, it's hard. They are in organized ball and the competition is so weak it doesn't matter. Abrams had some profile tournaments he was fine in. The important thing was nothing changed about their bodies that led scouts to believe they couldn't tap into their potential.

These guys both have been heavily scouted. Its not like a kelenic/adell that were a bit punished for being northern prospects and still had to prove it a bit throughout the year.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yeah, it's hard. They are in organized ball and the competition is so weak it doesn't matter. Abrams had some profile tournaments he was fine in. The important thing was nothing changed about their bodies that led scouts to believe they couldn't tap into their potential.

These guys both have been heavily scouted. Its not like a kelenic/adell that were a bit punished for being northern prospects and still had to prove it a bit throughout the year.

Thanks. Guess I was wondering if they are putting up crazy numbers or if either has disappointed. I would happily take last year's Vaughn in a heartbeat over anyone not named Adley but I'm less enthusiastic about him based upon this years performance, at least thus far. Meanwhile if Witt (or Abrams) are killing it, despite the competition, they have to be in the conversation. 

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Thanks. Guess I was wondering if they are putting up crazy numbers or if either has disappointed. I would happily take last year's Vaughn in a heartbeat over anyone not named Adley but I'm less enthusiastic about him based upon this years performance, at least thus far. Meanwhile if Witt (or Abrams) are killing it, despite the competition, they have to be in the conversation. 

Well they haven't disappointed or we'd here, and they almost certainly putting up crazy numbers but it's not worth paying attention to because every high schooler is right now.

4 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

I wish there was a pitcher good enough to justify taking at #3 because honestly I think the Sox need arms a lot more than bats at this point in time.

Just keep collecting BPA. They can always move hitting prospects for MLB arms if enough of them are good and stick at the MLB level.

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Also, looks like they moved Witt ahead of Abrams and bumped his top 100 prospect ranking up to 56? I don't recall him being that high last time.

image.png

On one hand: This is a layup for the Sox. Dude with 1-1 talent could fall to them at 3.

On the other hand: He's falling because he's a high school player, they don't like those, so he may fall further. Take a shot.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Also, looks like they moved Witt ahead of Abrams and bumped his top 100 prospect ranking up to 56? I don't recall him being that high last time.

image.png

Witt ahead of Abrams seems to fit with what the BA guys were saying on their last podcast. They basically said everyone they talked to had Rutchman a clear #1 and then Vaughn and Witt as tier two with a few guys adding a third name to that list. Just based on those top 100 numbers you can see where the tiers are. At this point with 5 weeks still left, I really hope we just take whichever of the top 3 guys falls to us.

I have a question that may have been explained elsewhere....

I thought the general pre-daft issue with Seth Beer was that, although he could end up being a good player, it was a waste of a high pick to choose the 1B/Corner OFer.  

Why is Vaughn different?  Is he that much better with the bat or was Seth Beer that bad in the field?

Beer had swing and miss concerns and a complete lack of athleticism that Vaughn doesn't have. Teams were concerned Beer would be a DH only and may not be able to make the necessary adjustments needed as he advanced up the ladder.  Vaughn has excellent feel to hit and though he is not terribly athletic there are few concerns that he could at least be an avg defensive first baseman.

54 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have a question that may have been explained elsewhere....

I thought the general pre-daft issue with Seth Beer was that, although he could end up being a good player, it was a waste of a high pick to choose the 1B/Corner OFer.  

Why is Vaughn different?  Is he that much better with the bat or was Seth Beer that bad in the field?

I have been wondering the same thing, having often read here on this forum that a right handed, 5' 11" first baseman does not represent enough value to be picked 3RD. I remember someone pointing out that Frank Thomas was a right handed first baseman, but thought at the time, that wasn't a very good "comp". If Vaughn had been following up his sophomore "Golden Spikes" year with another remarkable season, I would be all in favor of taking him, even with his value limiting profile. However, there are a few other collegiate position players, who are having better years. They also have better profiles. Nevertheless, apparently the scouts still think that Vaughn's bat is that exceptional. I certainly hope they're right because it appears the Sox will select him. 

I know all about the "best player available" but I am expecting Eloy to end up at first base. He seems best suited for that position. He's a big man and not the most graceful athlete, and certainly doesn't look like an outfielder. I would still favor Bishop or Bleday, both being Left handed bats and able to play a respectable corner outfield. I'm not advocating the left handed bat, simply out of "need". A left handed bat is conventionally considered more desirable, than a right handed bat. Not only are they more in short supply, but it is, after all, a left handed game, as the old saw goes.

If the Sox take Witt, then that's fine, but if they insist on a college position player, and Rutschman is off the board, I'm hoping they take Bleday or Bishop. 

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Beer had swing and miss concerns and a complete lack of athleticism that Vaughn doesn't have. Teams were concerned Beer would be a DH only and may not be able to make the necessary adjustments needed as he advanced up the ladder.  Vaughn has excellent feel to hit and though he is not terribly athletic there are few concerns that he could at least be an avg defensive first baseman.

Actually, most rate Vaughn as a good defensive first baseman, but that still isn't enough to sell me on his being picked 3RD. He better be a tremendous hitter, to justify taking him that high. 

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I have been wondering the same thing, having often read here on this forum that a right handed, 5' 11" first baseman does not represent enough value to be picked 3RD. I remember someone pointing out that Frank Thomas was a right handed first baseman, but thought at the time, that wasn't a very good "comp". If Vaughn had been following up his sophomore "Golden Spikes" year with another remarkable season, I would be all in favor of taking him, even with his value limiting profile. However, there are a few other collegiate position players, who are having better years. They also have better profiles. Nevertheless, apparently the scouts still think that Vaughn's bat is that exceptional. I certainly hope they're right because it appears the Sox will select him. 

I know all about the "best player available" but I am expecting Eloy to end up at first base. He seems best suited for that position. He's a big man and not the most graceful athlete, and certainly doesn't look like an outfielder. I would still favor Bishop or Bleday, both being Left handed bats and able to play a respectable corner outfield. If the Sox take Witt, then that's fine, but if they insist on a college position player, and Rutschman is off the board, I'm hoping they take Bleday or Bishop. 

Dick Allen 5;11" right handed first baseman. I'd take him 3rd.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Law posted his top 50 draft guys.  If someone can give me his top 10 and Priester it would be much appreciated.  

I received it in PDF so I have to type it out, so ranking is what you'll get but I'll summarize any questions you have.

1. Rutschmann

2. Vaughn

3. Witt 

4. Carroll

5. Abrams

6. Green

7. Bleday

8. Bishop

9. Manoah

10. Lodolo

Priester was at 20.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I received it in PDF so I have to type it out, so ranking is what you'll get but I'll summarize any questions you have.

1. Vaughn

2. Rutschmann

3. Witt 

4. Carroll

5. Abrams

6. Green

7. Bleday

8. Bishop

9. Manoah

10. Lodolo

Priester was at 20.

This is what Law said about the draft as a whole: Have I mentioned yet that it's a bad draft class this year? I've been involved in 18 drafts now, between my time with the Blue Jays and the past 13 years with ESPN, and it's the worst college pitching crop yet, while the high school pitching crop is definitely down from the past few years -- at least where the first round is concerned. There's some depth in the prep class, both hitters and pitchers, so teams with multiple picks may still do very well, but the first round is likely to be dominated by hitters as teams flee to the perceived safety of position players, especially college guys.

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

1. Vaughn

2. Rutschmann

3. Witt 

4. Carroll

5. Abrams

6. Green

7. Bleday

8. Bishop

9. Manoah

10. Lodolo

Priester was at 20.

Super interesting at Vaughn number 1. He must buy into that bat A TON. I knew he was high on him based off some of his chat comments, but that's kinda crazy to have him above Adley. Also I feel like it's becoming more of a toss-up between Lodolo or Manoah being the first college arm off the board.

Edit. Vaughn isn't one. bmags mistakenly had Adley/Vaughn reversed.

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dick Allen 5;11" right handed first baseman. I'd take him 3rd.

Yes, if he could hit like Dick Allen, I'd take him 3RD, or even 1ST. The point is that such a comp is just not realistic. What is the basis for comparing him to players like Dick Allen, beyond their size?

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Super interesting at Vaughn number 1. He must buy into that bat A TON. I knew he was high on him based off some of his chat comments, but that's kinda crazy to have him above Adley. Also I feel like it's becoming more of a toss-up between Lodolo or Manoah being the first college arm off the board.

So, I accidentally flipped them. Rutschmann is still 1. My bad!

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

1. Vaughn

2. Rutschmann

3. Witt 

4. Carroll

5. Abrams

6. Green

7. Bleday

8. Bishop

9. Manoah

10. Lodolo

Priester was at 20.

Wow, so Law thinks Vaughn is a #1 pick, even over Rutschman.  Ok, who am I to question these professional evaluators, who have an opportunity to actually watch the players live? I sure hope that they're right.

Never mind, I see that Law's list was incorrectly stated. 

Edited by Lillian

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic