2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, bmags said:

What a disaster. This is going to like, end up getting back to Law in a chat "saw you put Vaughn ahead of Rutschmann!"

Lol. I was just checking to see if he's going to get back to chatting this week too.

So that Blake Walston prep pitcher I've been crushing on for round 2, Law said he would be a tough sign which makes me just cross him off. Hard to compete with the multi-pick teams on guys like that.

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

if the Sox end up taking  Witt  and he pans out what do they do with him?

I'll answer a question with a question - what do you think the Dodgers would do in that situation?

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, if he could hit like Dick Allen, I'd take him 3RD, or even 1ST. The point is that such a comp is just not realistic. What is the basis for comparing him to players like Dick Allen, beyond their size?

You mentioned size. 5'11" is fine for a baseball player. He seems to have a lot of power, and tons of guys who supposedly know what they are looking at feel he is worthy of #3 if not higher.

The only question I would have with Witt is there seems to be some doubt about his swing, and the White Sox seem to be one of the last organizations I would think could fix it. Other than that, it looks like the two teams in front of the White Sox will be making their choice for them.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'll answer a question with a question - what do you think the Dodgers would do in that situation?

I have no clue what the Dodgers would do.  I should have said I do want Witt. I just don't know enough about him like you guys It was a question. Does he have enough power for a corner Outfield position or would second be more likely?

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I received it in PDF so I have to type it out, so ranking is what you'll get but I'll summarize any questions you have.

1. Rutschmann

2. Vaughn

3. Witt 

4. Carroll

5. Abrams

6. Green

7. Bleday

8. Bishop

9. Manoah

10. Lodolo

Priester was at 20.

Awesome thank you!

Hard to believer he has a R/R 1B over a power switch hitting plus defensive catcher but ok.  

Man he is really high on Carroll too.  I just didn't see it.  

3 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

I have no clue what the Dodgers would do.  I should have said I do want Witt. I just don't know enough about him like you guys It was a question. Does he have enough power for a corner Outfield position or would second be more likely?

All that stuff takes care of itself. Never have the White Sox had too many good players.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Anderson will be a free agent in 2025, at age 32. Maybe they would trade him, in the final year of his current deal, after exercising the option, for $15 million. Witt would be 24, at that point, and if he had demonstrated that he was ready, he could succeed Tim. At any rate, if Witt is really that good, the Sox could worry about what to do with both T. A. and Witt, when the time came.

I keep trying to comp Andrew Vaughn to someone numbers/scouting grade-wise. I feel like Paul Goldschmidt is an apt comparison. Vaughn might have a better eye and a little less swing and miss in his game? I imagine folks would be pretty okay with that kind of result from the #3 pick. Are there any other worthwhile comps people have for Vaughn?

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I keep trying to comp Andrew Vaughn to someone numbers/scouting grade-wise. I feel like Paul Goldschmidt is an apt comparison. Vaughn might have a better eye and a little less swing and miss in his game? I imagine folks would be pretty okay with that kind of result from the #3 pick. Are there any other worthwhile comps people have for Vaughn?

Josh Donaldson offensively

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

All that stuff takes care of itself. Never have the White Sox had too many good players.

I understand all that stuff takes care of itself. it was just conversation we are talking about future players are we not.

Just now, Sox80 said:

I understand all that stuff takes care of itself. it was just conversation we are talking about future players are we not.

The nice thing about getting athletic shortstops is you can plug them in where you need them if you are competitive. Think of Trea Turner being a LF starting out with Nats. The reason I brought up the Dodgers is for a while people kept saying they should trade from surplus, instead they just...played all of them. And that depth really has improved their odds to win the division each year - through injuries and sub par performances from certain players.

You can't do the same thing with a corner only outfielder or 1b. And really, Madrigal - if he was a starter - would be the guy I'd move all over as he has the mindset for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Comp I saw from two different places was Paul Konerko. No joke.

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

You mentioned size. 5'11" is fine for a baseball player. He seems to have a lot of power, and tons of guys who supposedly know what they are looking at feel he is worthy of #3 if not higher.

The only question I would have with Witt is there seems to be some doubt about his swing, and the White Sox seem to be one of the last organizations I would think could fix it. Other than that, it looks like the two teams in front of the White Sox will be making their choice for them.

There are plenty good sub 6 foot players. It is just a little unusual for a 1b, most 1b players are 6"2+.

Top war 1b last year

1. Freeman 6"5

2. goldy 6"3

3. Carpenter 6"3

4. Bellinger 6"4

5.votto 6"2

However just because the normal 1b prospect is 6"3 he doesn't have to fail. Prince fielder is the same size and he was really good before he was hurt.

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Yea. Peak Donaldson years look about right from a numbers perspective. Good call.

To be fair that probably is a 95th percentile outcome.

Using the 60 hit 60 power from fangraphs he would project for about a 120 ops+ or so in his prime. That is very good of course but Donaldson was an mvp level hitter.

If vaughn turns out into a 120-130 ops+ hitter with slightly below average defense he would be a top10 1b in the majors and that is fine. Anything more than that can happen but should be seen as a bonus.

Kiley chat draft stuff.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-5-1-19/

Jack

12:20

when's the next mock draft?

Kiley McDaniel

12:21

When the info is fresh enough that we need a new take on it. Sounds like 1-3 will be projected the same until draft time and I don't have much more clarity on 4-10 right now, some stuff 11 and beyond

Brady

Do you think the tigers pick in the draft comes down to JJ Bleday & Riley Greene??

Kiley McDaniel

I think those may be the two guys they are highest on that are also on the board, unless Miami takes Bleday at 4

Josh Nelson

Nick Lodolo has hit a rough patch in his last 3 starts (17 IP, 8 ER,  12 K to 4 BB). Is there a concern here, and does it open the possibility of Alek Manoah being draft before Lodolo?

Kiley McDaniel

12:22

Zack Thompson at Kentucky has been good lately, Manoah has been solid and Lodolo hasn't been so good. Thompson's elbow issues likely keep him from going first of that group, but he could be a Kyle Freeland issue where he goes where he belongs on talent and just signs for below slot.

Jim

12:23

I saw you recently post about Hunter Barco. Where do you see Hunter Barco's ceiling in draft?

Kiley McDaniel

12:24

Sounds like he's in that Joey Wentz area roughly speaking, where he could go for around slot in the 15-25 area or overslot in the comp round.

Al Avila

12:36

Odds Andrew Vaughn falls to Detroit? He'd be a perfect elixir for what the system is lacking.

Kiley McDaniel

Unlikely but not impossible. Maybe 5%?

Gumby Johnson

Y'all have Brett Baty in the top 20 which I agree with but I've seen him a good bit further down in others, is there a chance he's actually there for teams in the late first? Feels like it should be unlikely to me

Kiley McDaniel

12:37

Don't think he gets past 20-22 or so. Some see 60 hit/power and he can shockingly play 3B pretty well for a guy his size. There's some Nolan Gorman/Austin Riley in there.

Mike

12:38

Who are the known "hard signs" from the HS ranks who demand way more than your current ranking on your BOARD?

Kiley McDaniel

12:41

Rumors are $4M+ on Jack Leiter, sounds like Spencer Jones will be $2M+, Jerrion Ealy is probably about $2M. There's some prep arms we have at the bottom of the 40's or 35+'s that are $1.5M or more. Blake Walston also sounds like he'll be overslot if he gets outside of the comp round. Brett Thomas sounds like he'll be a good bit over $1M. Tre Fletcher should be tough after the first day. Vanderbilt looks well positioned to get a couple more studs on campus again, since they have half the guys I just mentioned and a couple others on the board with a big number.

Lilith

12:42

Likelihood that Abrams is there at 7 for the Reds? How about Bleday?

Kiley McDaniel

12:43

Let's say 15% and 3%

iron wolf

12:50

Kiley: as an Orioles fan, I'm wondering if Rutschman is the best player to select when they have so many holes to fill.  Do you think they might have him DH or move him to the OF (like Harper) so he can get more ABs?

Kiley McDaniel

12:51

He's an above defender with a plus arm and is pretty polished, so no. If a guy is rough back there and has that kind of bat, that's when you move him, since the bat may be ready in 3 years but the glove may take 5 and have a concussion or two along the way.

Another Braves Fan

12:54

Do you think there's any likelihood that J.J. Bleday drops to the Braves at #9?

Kiley McDaniel

Almost 0% at this point

Johnny Storm

What round does TJ Sekemma go in?

Kiley McDaniel

Possibly sneaks in the 2nd, would guess 3rd or early 4th

Craig

1:02

Can you please rank the following high school right handers as you think they'll go off the board in June? Allan, Malone, Priester, Goss

Kiley McDaniel

1:03

I'll say that order, but they may all go 15 to 25 or 30, so it's easy for the order to get jumbled up with signability and medicals and specific team preferences get tossed in the mix

Edited by DirtySox

17 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

To be fair that probably is a 95th percentile outcome.

Using the 60 hit 60 power from fangraphs he would project for about a 120 ops+ or so in his prime. That is very good of course but Donaldson was an mvp level hitter.

If vaughn turns out into a 120-130 ops+ hitter with slightly below average defense he would be a top10 1b in the majors and that is fine. Anything more than that can happen but should be seen as a bonus.

Vaughn is supposed to be quite good defensively at first. 

Which does make it a bit odd that nobody believes he'd have even a chance at any other position. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic