2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Eh, but he only impacts 120 games a year.  Doesn’t that have to turn some GMs off?

In the AL, he could always DH on the days he doesn't catch. And if he did indeed hit 20 HR's, in just 120 at bats, that would be closer to Vaughn's power production.

Edited by Lillian

I've been all over the map on this but keep coming back to Vaughn. In addition to his loud offensive tools he is said to play a very good 1B and despite the discount to positional value, I think having a good glove at first is more important than a corner OF who on avg. will touch the ball twice  game. A good defensive 1B can save tons of throwing errors and with the left side of our IF, thats very important. Also, for some odd reason I think Rutschman might fall to us and for whatever reason, I'm growing less enchanted. As we sit here today...I'm Vaughn at 1 and Witt at 2.

Isn't it possible, since the Orioles seem so far away from competing based on the division and their system being trash, that they may decide to go with high schooler who may take 3-4 years and possibly fit their window better than a college bat that may come up as early as next year? Granted they do need as much high-end talent as possible and a Ruschman or a Vaugh could end up being a trade chip for them later in their control.

30 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

That's more than starting pitchers.

in games but not for involvement in the games.

If a position player has 550 at bats and the average so far this season is 4 pitches per plate appearance, that 2200 pitches for the season.

If a starting pitcher start 27 games and the average pitches per start was 88, the total involvement of the starting pitcher was 2,376. 

The average starting pitcher is more involved in the season than your average position player.

The starting pitcher may be involved in fewer games but they are more important per game and arguably  for the season.

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

in games but not for involvement in the games.

If a position player has 550 at bats and the average so far this season is 4 pitches per plate appearance, that 2200 pitches for the season.

If a starting pitcher start 27 games and the average pitches per start was 88, the total involvement of the starting pitcher was 2,376. 

The average starting pitcher is more involved in the season than your average position player.

The starting pitcher may be involved in fewer games but they are more important per game and arguably  for the season.

I wasn't really arguing that a position player is worth more than a pitcher. Just kind of showing that it doesn't really matter if he only impacts a certain number of games (see the comment I'm replying too).

Also, just because I feel it is worth mentioning in this specific case (Ruschman), someone who scouts say is great behind the plate would have more involvement than just 4 at bats a game. Just an additional 2 cents.

Edited by soxfan2014

I've said all along I think Rutschman falls to the sox by way of prospect fatigue and Baltimore's new GM making his mark on his first draft, Either with Vaughn or Witt and scooping up a supremely talented HS like Leiter's kid.

My thoughts on possible comparisons and outcomes:

Andrew Vaughn = Jake Burgur ....or Zack Collins

CJ Abrams = Tatis Jr.

It's all about talent evaluation. In a few years, we will see who is right.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

My thoughts on possible comparisons and outcomes:

Andrew Vaughn = Jake Burgur ....or Zack Collins

CJ Abrams = Tatis Jr.

It's all about talent evaluation. In a few years, we will see who is right.

Andrew Vaughn = Paul Konerko

CJ Abrams = Micah Johnson ....or Ozzie Guillen

Like, that's really the extent of the talent evaluation you just did.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I'm at the point where as long as the Sox take whoever of Rutschman, Vaughn, and Witt is still available at 3, I'll be happy.  I really think those guys are the clear top 3 at this point.  No point in fretting over which one the Sox get.  The Orioles and Royals will make their decision for them.

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm at the point where as long as the Sox take whoever of Rutschman, Vaughn, and Witt is still available at 3, I'll be happy.  I really think those guys are the clear top 3 at this point.  No point in fretting over which one the Sox get.  The Orioles and Royals will make their decision for them.

I think Abrams is in this mix too, personally. 

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I wasn't really arguing that a position player is worth more than a pitcher. Just kind of showing that it doesn't really matter if he only impacts a certain number of games (see the comment I'm replying too).

Also, just because I feel it is worth mentioning in this specific case (Ruschman), someone who scouts say is great behind the plate would have more involvement than just 4 at bats a game. Just an additional 2 cents.

Got it.

This from the live chat today:

HoHahn: What’s happening at AA Birmingham? Everyone’s suddenly bad!

11:57
Eric A Longenhagen: I’m not sure that player dev situation is working out. Getz probably hasn’t been running the shop long enough to be critically certain, but lots of their arms have gone backward the last few years. Driveline just published a study on player dev that had them last in value added.

11:58
Pols: Are you buying the rumors of the Sox taking Abrams at #3?

Eric A Longenhagen: I think he’s in the mix, yeah.

2 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

This from the live chat today:

HoHahn: What’s happening at AA Birmingham? Everyone’s suddenly bad!

11:57
Eric A Longenhagen: I’m not sure that player dev situation is working out. Getz probably hasn’t been running the shop long enough to be critically certain, but lots of their arms have gone backward the last few years. Driveline just published a study on player dev that had them last in value added.

Pols: Are you buying the rumors of the Sox taking Abrams at #3?

Eric A Longenhagen: I think he’s in the mix, yeah.

It isn't just the Birmingham pitchers, who have regressed. The hitters look awful. What the heck has happened to Gonzalez, Rutherford, Adolfo and Sheets? It makes no sense that both the pitching and the hitting have been so bad. I thought it was a pitcher's park. Ok, so that could, in part, explain the bad hitting, but how does that compute with the bad pitching?

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Perfect!  I'm surprised in a lot of these draft people have Langeliers in the middle of the round...Jung too. I really see Langeliers as a Realmuto-type player.

The interesting guy on this list is Jackson Rutledge..and they have him going top 10.

5 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Eh, but he only impacts 120 games a year.  Doesn’t that have to turn some GMs off?

It shouldn't, especially with the Top 3 being AL teams.

And while him falling is slim, it's fun to imagine rotating Adley, Collins and Zavala between the DH and Catcher spot.

Baseball America updated their mock today and has CJ Abrams to the Sox

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

There are some rumblings and rumors that the White Sox might prefer to take an athlete with this pick, and Abrams fits the bill, as does Arizona State outfielder Hunter Bishop or Witt if he gets past Kansas City. Executive Vice President Ken Williams has been in to see Abrams late this spring. You can’t discount California first baseman Andrew Vaughn with this pick either.

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Andrew Vaughn = Paul Konerko

CJ Abrams = Micah Johnson ....or Ozzie Guillen

Like, that's really the extent of the talent evaluation you just did.

I looked at all available videos of the players I could find and every read scouting report I could find.

I felt that was enough to express my opinion here as a fan.

Do you have some added qualifications? 

Anyone who looks at the available videos and scouting reports of these prospects and then compares CJ Abrams to Micah Johnson must still agree with Hawk that Micah is  a "game changer."     Not even close...

Edited by tray
spelling

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic