2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Aren’t we talking of a Dee Gordon type player if his power doesn’t develop?

I suppose that's a good floor, abrams is 6'1/180 already though so it seems like even with a slappy approach he'd run into one more than Gordon has, but gordon it's almost hard to believe how rarely he does that.

edit: worth pointing out that saying gordon is a floor is actually very flattering, getting 12-14 career war is pretty good but Abrams could also get more defensive WAR. But Gordon is an optimistic outcome still.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

If it were possible to bet on such things, I think Abrams would be the favorite for the Sox pick, at this point.

I have to imagine their draft board is:

Adley > Witt > Abrams > Vaughn 

Still hoping the O's and Royals outsmart themselves.

Just to follow up from last week the surprise in the mock had to be Texas which HLL guessed. They went with them selecting Brett Bady at 7 which I hadn't really had on radar as top 10. And it was to do a big deal.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I could hit that submarine softball pitch. The defense was impressive though.

Gotta imagine the scouts love that dude that hit a rocket to Abrams left.

His speeds pretty wild, the triple he lost his balance, he kinda glides though. Not as violent as how Robert/Anderson run.

Serious question:

has this organization ever produced a player that was a better hitter when they arrived then when they were drafted? 

I honestly can’t think of a hitter that the org actually “developed.” They’ve acquired elite hitting prospects that managed to get to the majors, but even then, the ones that worked out seem to to have taken their lumps and developed almost exclusively at the MLB level.

Someone from FS please own me on this one. I don’t want to believe what I just said.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I really think it’s possible Adley falls to 3. With that said, if the Sox do pick Abrams, they better be willing to spend for offensive upgrades the next few years for the big league team.

What's the scenario that happens?

I think with this draft, you have to consider the likelihood of the Sox trading the player they take with this #3 pick. Sox are going to have to trade for some more talent and if it's elite talent you would need a huge prospect. While I think the Sox will take a the player they deem "best", but a high school player that they could use as a trade chip is in the cards. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Serious question:

has this organization ever produced a player that was a better hitter when they arrived then when they were drafted? 

I honestly can’t think of a hitter that the org actually “developed.” They’ve acquired elite hitting prospects that managed to get to the majors, but even then, the ones that worked out seem to to have taken their lumps and developed almost exclusively at the MLB level.

Someone from FS please own me on this one. I don’t want to believe what I just said.

LEURY GARCIA

edit: i'm being serious though they didn't draft him. He's undeniably a better hitter than when he arrived from Texas.

Also I know Anderson qualifies as "taking his lumps" but he made meaningful progress across levels under sox.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I really think it’s possible Adley falls to 3. With that said, if the Sox do pick Abrams, they better be willing to spend for offensive upgrades the next few years for the big league team.

I firmly think Adley falls to the sox. Os go get Vaughn under slot and then look to sign Leiter or Volpe with their overage and KC goes hard on Witt.

6 minutes ago, beautox said:

I firmly think Adley falls to the sox. Os go get Vaughn under slot and then look to sign Leiter or Volpe with their overage and KC goes hard on Witt.

Would the White Sox like Abrams enough to let Adley continue dropping?

47 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Serious question:

Anderson?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

No shot. I think they'd take Adley in a heartbeat. The interesting scenario to me is if Vaughn goes #1 and Rutschman #2. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With their current situation and Collins likely going to 1B because of concusions and inability to be full time; likely a similar situation to Schwarber and the sox propensity to draft college, yes i believe they take Adley or Abrams. 

Just now, beautox said:

With their current situation and Collins likely going to 1B because of concusions and inability to be full time; likely a similar situation to Schwarber and the sox propensity to draft college, yes i believe they take Adley or Abrams. 

That...didn't answer my question.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic