2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Anderson?

See I feel like Anderson is the exact archetypal example of a guy that was basically unchanged in the minors, got to the show on raw talent, and has taken the last several years learning at the MLB level. 

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

See I feel like Anderson is the exact archetypal example of a guy that was basically unchanged in the minors, got to the show on raw talent, and has taken the last several years learning at the MLB level. 

I kinda am with you in that the Anderson example makes me want to take more guys that are just so physically gifted - quick hands, bat speed, etc - that they can just physically adjust so well even if they aren't maturing so much in approach.

But, Timmys production was so consistent across each level, every jump and he was moved fairly quickly, that I'm not sure you could say he wasn't developing and improving as he moved up.

Adolfo was making a pretty good case before his set-back. He started making more contact to tap into his power, getting on base more.

Also Forbes just suddenly started walking a bunch.

But there aren't a lot of "wow they just suddenly tapped into that power/avg/obp" examples.

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Serious question:

has this organization ever produced a player that was a better hitter when they arrived then when they were drafted? 

I honestly can’t think of a hitter that the org actually “developed.” They’ve acquired elite hitting prospects that managed to get to the majors, but even then, the ones that worked out seem to to have taken their lumps and developed almost exclusively at the MLB level.

Someone from FS please own me on this one. I don’t want to believe what I just said.

Harold Baines

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Serious question:

has this organization ever produced a player that was a better hitter when they arrived then when they were drafted? 

I honestly can’t think of a hitter that the org actually “developed.” They’ve acquired elite hitting prospects that managed to get to the majors, but even then, the ones that worked out seem to to have taken their lumps and developed almost exclusively at the MLB level.

Someone from FS please own me on this one. I don’t want to believe what I just said.

I think the last "surprise" that was developed by the White Sox was Maggs Ordonez.  

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the last "surprise" that was developed by the White Sox was Maggs Ordonez.  

and that was mostly due to better living through chemistry.

15 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm sorry but I think the idea of taking a guy in hopes of trading him down the road is a terrible idea. The Sox are picking #3. They need to take a guy who they believe will be a star on the South Side. This pick is too important to play games with.

It’s not “in the hopes of”. It’s really not a different concept at all than best player available. 

15 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm sorry but I think the idea of taking a guy in hopes of trading him down the road is a terrible idea. The Sox are picking #3. They need to take a guy who they believe will be a star on the South Side. This pick is too important to play games with.

Who's even proposing we draft a guy "in hopes of trading him." If we hit on a lot of the youngsters, it just may play out like that. But no one is sitting here hoping we do.

• Like 1

Listening to the FG podcast now and here are some of the relevant draft notes:

-- Again compared Vaughn to Konerko, though stated a scout said that might be light. Brought up the point that it seems like some of Vaughn's "struggles" (compared to last year) are because his lineup is so weak that he is getting pitched around so he is changing his approach just to try and help his team win. Might be a 55 FV.

-- Abrams got a comp to Kenny Lofton; similar swing, 80 runner, sneaky power that is currently a gap guy. 55 raw now with probable 60 future when he fills out, but not the swing or approach to tap into it currently. Probably projects to 60 hit, 40 power, but because he is more raw than Witt there is more room for changes and adjustments. Some scouts said he is an 80 runner with 60 power, which basically doesn't exist in the minors outside of Jordyn Adams who projects to 60 power. Is kind of like Xavier Edwards from last years draft, but just more of everything (explosiveness, size, power). High variance where he goes in the top 10.

-- Witt comped to Trevor Story. Enough hit to get to the big power in game, good defensive short, good athlete. 60 now power, 65 future with the swing and approach to tap into it.

-- Bleday has a traditional right field profile with a little more feel to hit than that. Fast moving college hitter.

More quick notes on other guys in the top half of the first that I don't think we really need to know about.

About draft strategies and rumors:

-- It seems like Witt is the pick at #2.

-- If true, the O's could use it to leverage Vaughn or Rutschman into underslot because otherwise they would fall to #3. (If people want craziness, they should hope Vaughn is willing to go underslot more than Rutschman and the O's take him #1, Royals stick to Witt #2, and the we get Rutschman.)

-- D-backs are everywhere. No idea if they are going prep or college heavy or just preparing for everything.

-- The last final month is when you can really tell who teams are on with personnel at games, so expect more of that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:04 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It looks like the Fangraph boyz got their heads out of their butts.  They finally moved Jr to 2 and Bleday to 3.  They still have Vaughn ahead of Abrams but baby steps for these two.  

Not anymore on Bleday. Wonder how often they are shuffling.

image.png

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

-- Again compared Vaughn to Konerko, though stated a scout said that might be light. Brought up the point that it seems like some of Vaughn's "struggles" (compared to last year) are because his lineup is so weak that he is getting pitched around so he is changing his approach just to try and help his team win. Might be a 55 FV.

-- Abrams got a comp to Kenny Lofton; similar swing, 80 runner, sneaky power that is currently a gap guy. 55 raw now with probable 60 future when he fills out, but not the swing or approach to tap into it currently. Probably projects to 60 hit, 40 power, but because he is more raw than Witt there is more room for changes and adjustments. Some scouts said he is an 80 runner with 60 power, which basically doesn't exist in the minors outside of Jordyn Adams who projects to 60 power. Is kind of like Xavier Edwards from last years draft, but just more of everything (explosiveness, size, power). High variance where he goes in the top 10.

-- Witt comped to Trevor Story. Enough hit to get to the big power in game, good defensive short, good athlete. 60 now power, 65 future with the swing and approach to tap into it.

-- Bleday has a traditional right field profile with a little more feel to hit than that. Fast moving college hitter.

More quick notes on other guys in the top half of the first that I don't think we really need to know about.

-- If true, the O's could use it to leverage Vaughn or Rutschman into underslot because otherwise they would fall to #3. (If people want craziness, they should hope Vaughn is willing to go underslot more than Rutschman and the O's take him #1, Royals stick to Witt #2, and the we get Rutschman.)

-- D-backs are everywhere. No idea if they are going prep or college heavy or just preparing for everything.

-- The last final month is when you can really tell who teams are on with personnel at games, so expect more of that.

If Abrams could be compared to Kenny Lofton in his prime then I am sold; however, I still think the pick is Vaughn if he is there.  

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

We can only hope the O's would be so crazy.

mark

1:11

What is the domino effect if Vaughn goes 1 to BAL?

Kiley McDaniel

1:14

Not completely sure, but my best guess would be:
1. BAL - Vaughn
2. KC - Rutschman
3. CHW - Abrams
4. MIA - Witt
5. DET - Greene
6. SD - Bleday

which, again, is just shuffling those top 6 hitters

Hmm. Would the Sox really take Abrams over Witt in this scenario?

Edited by DirtySox

30 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hmm. Would the Sox really take Abrams over Witt in this scenario?

29 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I'd be sad if they chose Abrams over Witt 

Everything the last few days has made it sound like that's the current expectation. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic