2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

We don't hear about rutschman because he is basically the consensus number 1 pick and not likely to get past the first overall pick.

Fg basically sees rutschman a whole grade above anyone else and then 4 -5 guys about the same (vaughn, witt, Abrams, bleday).

This doesn't mean rutschman ist guaranteed to be the best player of the draft but with the current information he seems to be in a tier of his own.

Right, that's my point. We shouldn't take the sox having a large presence and media rumors of being big on Abrams as being a tell on having him higher than Witt/Rutschmann in the same way we take it that they are higher on Abrams or Vaughn. It's a dog bites man thing.

Vaughn was expected to be above Abrams for sox because of how college heavy they've been. But Witt has also been a consensus top player for a while, and we don't specifically know that being on Abrams means sox have him above Witt in the same way we can now assume they have him ranked higher than Vaughn.

I would be fine with vaughn.  Sure there is a  risk he only becomes a CJ cron instead of a paul goldschmidt (like kiley said in the chat) but if you really get a new paul konerko for the next decade that would be great.

Sure Abrams could get to more power and become a 5 war shortstop and that is likely better than vaughn but there is no guatantee it works out.

I'm fine either way, either you get a pretty sure bet to have an above average regular 1b or you get a guy with a really high ceiling. In the end it is probably a good thing that the 2-5 guys are projected to be so similar, in the end it will also be about luck who will be the best.

I went back and re-read the Fangraphs Mock 2.0 since I had been traveling when it was posted. I feel like this assessment wasn't talked about enough.

Since Abrams would likely slide to the sixth pick if he doesn’t go third, there may be some pool money saved here (about $1.5 million based on the gap in slot between this pick and the sixth). That money would go a long ways toward tempting another mid-first round, high-upside prep talent to the White Sox next pick at 45, as the savings plus their overage would be a late-teen’s value slot.

As risky as it is trying to float a 1st round talent to 45 with the amount of picks AZ has, I would really be on board with adding two high upside prep players in Abrams and XYZ with pick 45. The system desperately needs it. I imagine we are going to start hearing some round two target names in the near future. Might be time to start reading up more on some of the mid first round prep talent.

Via Law chat today.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/05/16/klawchat-5-16-19/

Josh Nelson

1:33

Hey Keith. Andrew Vaughn fits what the profile of who the White Sox have drafted since Nick Hostetler took over. How likely do you think they go in a different direction by selecting CJ Abrams?

Keith Law

1:33

At this point, I don't have enough information to answer that other than to say I believe they are looking at both players, and aware that Rutschman could slip to them.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I went back and re-read the Fangraphs Mock 2.0 since I had been traveling when it was posted. I feel like this assessment wasn't talked about enough.

As risky as it is trying to float a 1st round talent to 45 with the amount of picks AZ has, I would really be on board with adding two high upside prep players in Abrams and XYZ with pick 45. The system desperately needs it. I imagine we are going to start hearing some round two target names in the near future. Might be time to start reading up more on some of the mid first round prep talent.

I think the vandy commits are ones that you could get in play for with that, depending on how you feel about leiter, jones, and ss volpe.

Walston and Espino would be in play too.

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If by some miracle Rutschman falls to the Sox, Collins would move to first base full time, right?

I'd imagine so, with Zavala being the backup.

The nice thing is Collins could become an emergency third catcher.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When do we start talking about how the Sox have nothing to show for the last 5 drafts? 

Whenever you want, preferably in another thread so that the rest of us don't have to read it in one designed to talk about next month's draft. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

34 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'd imagine so, with Zavala being the backup.

The nice thing is Collins could become an emergency third catcher.

I think it would be interesting to see how nice of a team building piece there could be with a solid catching core and a 1b/DH/catcher flex.

also incredibly cheap.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it would be interesting to see how nice of a team building piece there could be with a solid catching core and a 1b/DH/catcher flex.

also incredibly cheap.

Real DH flexibility?

But what about Mark Kotsay?

42 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Good contribution. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything, I just have very little trust in the brass to evaluate talent properly. 

This whole draft is either Rutschman or idgaf for me. A whole lot of meh after Adley. They could take anyone mocked top 10 and I wouldn't complain if Adley is off the board. 

I'm expecting Rutschman and Witt to go 1-2, so any of Abrams, Bleday, Vaughn or Lodolo and I really couldn't care less. I'm not a huge fan of Vaughn but I'd understand why they picked him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 hours ago, bmags said:

The Rutschman falling stuff makes me so happy.

It would remind me of the Carlos Rodon stuff where Rodon was supposed to be the #1 pick for like 10 months out of the draft cycle, and then towards the end Kolek and Aiken jumped him. Rodon lost his consensus #1 spot sometime in April though, so this would be even later in the game for Adley to suddenly fall to #3 like Rodon did.

I particularly like this mock write-up from SB Nation in March of 2014....

"1. Houston Astros: Carlos Rodon, LHP, N.C. State

Rodon is still the consensus #1 overall pick but this isn't a slam dunk. There is a non-zero chance that someone else goes 1st overall but it is pretty close to 0%."

They had the Sox taking SS Jake Gatewood, who is currently flaming out in AA right now. FG has him a 70/80 raw power. Yowza. 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything, I just have very little trust in the brass to evaluate talent properly. 

This whole draft is either Rutschman or idgaf for me. A whole lot of meh after Adley. They could take anyone mocked top 10 and I wouldn't complain if Adley is off the board. 

I'm expecting Rutschman and Witt to go 1-2, so any of Abrams, Bleday, Vaughn or Lodolo and I really couldn't care less. I'm not a huge fan of Vaughn but I'd understand why they picked him. 

Do you promise not to hang out in the draft thread on June 3rd and just shit all over whoever the Sox take considering there is about an 80% chance it's not Adley? 

14 hours ago, DirtySox said:

MRW some of the talking heads are now saying Adley may fall

source.gif

some quick rosterbation late 2020

Robert - CF
Moncada# - 3B
Jimenez - DH
Collins* - 1B
Anderson - SS
Rutschman# - C
Castellanos - LF
Gonzalez* - RF