2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Assuming Adley & Witt go #1 & #2, I’ll be fine with either Vaughn or Abrams.  It’s really a total toss-up between the two of them IMO.  Regardless, it’s an absolutely critical pick as we hopefully won’t be drafting in the top five for quite some time.

Yea I'm with you on this. I don't dislike any of the three options at this point. Though I think I would be much more excited for an Abrams pick if some of the upper level prospects were actually performing. Vaughn should be impactful in short order and it kinda feels like that is needed at the moment. I hate having that sentiment despite Vaughn not being a reach at 3.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Give me Abrams and another prep talent in round 2 with the savings.  

Unless Adley falls, then I would sprint to the podium to select him.

Why is there an assumption that Abrams would result in significant savings?  I don't see it.  He is being mocked anywhere between 3-6.  That doesn't seem like a discount signing to me.

Just now, turnin' two said:

Why is there an assumption that Abrams would result in significant savings?  I don't see it.  He is being mocked anywhere between 3-6.  That doesn't seem like a discount signing to me.

Kiley suggested it in his recent mock is why. I asked Law and he seemed to think savings would be minimal if at all.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Thanks.  It seems I would have to agree with Law there.  I don't see why he would go at a big discount, or one at all.

I'm with you and Law on this one too. Maybe a tiny savings at best. Fun to think about floating a mid/late first rounder to 45 though.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Yea I'm with you on this. I don't dislike any of the three options at this point. Though I think I would be much more excited for an Abrams pick if some of the upper level prospects were actually performing. Vaughn should be impactful in short order and it kinda feels like that is needed at the moment. I hate having that sentiment despite Vaughn not being a reach at 3.

Totally agree.  All else being equal, I feel like the system desperately needs more athleticism / high ceiling prospects and that’s exactly what Abrams provides.  Vaughn is a hell of a 1B prospect, but taking him feels like it would be more geared around trying to win ASAP whether that actually has anything to do with it.  I just hope Hostetler goes BPA and doesn’t let team need / proximity to the majors impact his decision.

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

If they did get him at 6 slot that’s like 1.5 mil

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Totally agree.  All else being equal, I feel like the system desperately needs more athleticism / high ceiling prospects and that’s exactly what Abrams provides.  Vaughn is a hell of a 1B prospect, but taking him feels like it would be more geared around trying to win ASAP whether that actually has anything to do with it.  I just hope Hostetler goes BPA and doesn’t let team need / proximity to the majors impact his decision.

I disagree with this. Our development is not the best so we need pure good hitters to begin with. Our development system doesn't produce pure hitter that are good at many aspects if hitting, we usually develop hitters to hit HR and strike out alot, although this season has been a bit better, and Madrigal is a pure hitter. Courney Hawkins was althletic but couldn't hit. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

The best players in this org currently are Tim anderson, yoan Moncada And Luis Robert and people are still bringing up Courtney Hawkins 

Yes and Anderson and Moncadas ML combined k to walk is 814 k's and 173 bb.

29 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

How are our polished college hitters faring? Is Sheets Rendon-ing yet?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

The best players in this org currently are Tim anderson, yoan Moncada And Luis Robert and people are still bringing up Courtney Hawkins 

Three athletic superfreaks.  I agree with you bmags, if the player development sucks, it might not be a bad idea to gamble on guys who have so much talent that they might be able to overcome it on their own.  That’s not to say we should pass on Vaughn, I just think this idea we shouldn’t draft a young, athletic HS kid because Courtney Hawkins was a bust is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chisox378 said:

Who the fucks cares?  Right now, both guys are on pace to be 4+ win players this year.  What the hell have all our polished college picks done to help the cause exactly?

• Like 3

a guy that'll be in the discussion next year as a top 3 pick next year (Torkelson) just absolutely demolished a ball at Cal (watching ASU/CAL Vaughn). Good God did he crush this ball...it never came back. Went over the grey building out past the scoreboard....lol...geezus. Not sure I've seen a ball  hit that far by a college player.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mqr said:

I like the idea of Abrams, but idk if I'm mentally prepared for the Sox picking ceiling

80 speed plus good contact profile gives you a reasonable floor. Very likely to get some mlb production out of that even if it isn't starter.

And again, there's always the what-if in those guys. Jorge Mateo has hit for 6 home runs and 9 triples in AAA this year. That's double the Hrs he hit all of last year. He's still only 23. His speed carried him for a long time.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

80 speed plus good contact profile gives you a reasonable floor. Very likely to get some mlb production out of that even if it isn't starter.

And again, there's always the what-if in those guys. Jorge Mateo has hit for 6 home runs and 9 triples in AAA this year. That's double the Hrs he hit all of last year. He's still only 23. His speed carried him for a long time.

I like the Mateo comp. Mateo had some personal issues if I recall and its taken him a while to get focused but it looks as though he has it figured out this year.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic