2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Do any of you have the new Baseball America top Draft rankings and scouting reports? I just received an email, informing me that they have a new report, however I don't subscribe.

Top 5 of Adley, Witt, Vaughn, Abrams, and Greene remained the same.

13 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Top 5 of Adley, Witt, Vaughn, Abrams, and Greene remained the same.

Yep. I'm not sure the top scouting reports changed much at all either. The most noteworthy ranking change for me is Baty jumping to 15 from 19. Other than that, the next biggest jump I see is Alec Marsh to 98 from 123. Marsh is pretty interesting though. Especially when your system desperately needs pitching.

Notes:

Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 220 | B-T: R-R 
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted 
Scouting Report: The Sun Devils’ Friday Night starter has taken one of the biggest jumps forward of any Division I college pitcher in 2019, highlighted by a mid-April complete game victory over then-No. 3 Oregon State in front of a large contingent of scouts and scouting directors. Marsh has gotten stronger and consistently gets ahead of hitters by throwing his first pitch for strikes. His five-pitch mix all grade as average pitches, although his fastball flashes plus, especially when he dials up the velocity into the mid-90s in key situations. Marsh most often uses his two-seamer to get ground balls and his four-seamer for swings and misses, complementing both offerings with a changeup that he throws with good arm speed and natural sink. He also mixes in a 78-82 mph slider and 72-76 mph curveball. He repeats a clean delivery, with all pitches coming from the same slot. At times, Marsh can struggle when his four-seam fastball flattens out. Marsh’s improvement should allow him to go early on Day 2 of the draft.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Almost every single team would take a mulligan on their first two picks.... That's the beauty of hindsight..

I'm saying he would take a mulligan on every single #1 and #2 pick that he has selected since 2015!. That is not just hindsight talking, that is some bad drafting. 

Just looking within the AL Central, I'm sure that Detroit would keep Casey Mize and Matt Manning, Minnesota is happy with Royce Lewis and Alex Kiriflllof (picked after Burger), and KC would keep Singer and MJ Melendez. 

The Sox would redo all their picks in a heartbeat if they could. 

Our drafting has been meh, but we also need to realize how much worse drafting will look without a successful player development team. That sounds too nice, without even a below average player dev team. 

They basically would need to draft finished products who just gradually tune up each level, or players that can survive on a tremendous tool.

the finished products route is what they chose, but how many stories do we have of a prospect actually adding anything to his game? Dunning teaching Cease a spike curve? Has anyone gained power? Overhauled approach? That’s why no international signing can get above A ball.

19 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I'm saying he would take a mulligan on every single #1 and #2 pick that he has selected since 2015!. That is not just hindsight talking, that is some bad drafting. 

Just looking within the AL Central, I'm sure that Detroit would keep Casey Mize and Matt Manning, Minnesota is happy with Royce Lewis and Alex Kiriflllof (picked after Burger), and KC would keep Singer and MJ Melendez. 

The Sox would redo all their picks in a heartbeat if they could. 

The White Sox guru hostetler said if the Sox were picking 1st in 2016 he still would have picked Collins #1, that there tells you all we need to know.

Does this comparative analysis of Bleday and Vaughn look correct to you?:

Vaughn - Good defence, but at perhaps the least desirable position.

Bleday - Good outfield defender with a good enough arm to play RF

Vaughn - Slow footed

Bleday - Faster than Vaughn, but just average speed for a corner outfielder

Vaughn - Best, most advanced hitter in the Draft, with great contact and power skills, plus good eye. 53 walks to 30 K's, this season.                                                             One negative is that he hits right handed.

Bleday - Outstanding hitter with power. 25 homers this year has answered any questions about his power.                                                                                                 Left handed bat represents significant value added.

Vaughn probably has a better chance to be the first, in this year's Draft, to make it to the Majors, but Bleday isn't far behind.

Which player has performed better against tough competition? Both play in top conferences, but the non-confernce games could provide some insight. Earlier in the year, someone remarked that Vaughn had not performed well versus better teams.

18 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Watch the Sox going pitching heavy in a pitching week draft simply because of organizational need.

I expect lots of college pitching. It's not weak throughout it's just weak early on. There aren't many top of the rotation types. You can find backend starters and relievers though. 

Via BA draft chat today.

Adam (WI): So I know defensively there are differences (3B vs 1B) but as a hitter, how does Vaughn compare to Bryant when he was coming out of college? Who is the closest profile as a hitter that you can remember scouting to Vaughn? Thanks!

Carlos Collazo: Very well I’d say. Vaughn has posted similar offensive numbers to Bryant against better competition. We’ve had multiple scouts this spring comp the two as hitters, though by all accounts Vaughn’s feel for the strike zone is superior, while the power is probably close to the same. While Bryant has better defensive value as you mentioned, Vaughn doesn’t have the strikeout concerns that Bryant had coming out of college. Bryant whiffed 16 percent of the time with San Diego and then spent a summer in the Cape where he struck out more than 30 percent, while Vaughn has close to a 10 percent whiff rate with Cal and a 17 percent whiff rate in a smaller sample on the Cape. I’ve only been doing this for two and a half years, but Vaughn is the best hitter I’ve seen in that short time.

Also, mock tomorrow.

Edited by DirtySox

Also for our Blake Walston fan.

Joe (Durham): What prospect has surprised you the most throughout the draft process?

Carlos Collazo: Hey Joe and shoutout Bull City! Hope you get a chance to watch some of the ACC Tournament this week. I love this question. There are a number of good candidates, like Kody Hoese and Hunter Bishop who have really mashed and shot up boards, but probably my favorite is New Hanover HS lefty Blake Walston. I heard about him very early on in the process and was told to just keep an eye on him because he’s an athletic, projectable left-hander, but at the time assumed he was going to be someone in the mix much later than where we currently have him ranked—No.41. The advanced strike throwing ability that he’s shown this spring is extremely impressive and I expect his stuff to continue improving as he develops.

Edited by DirtySox

13 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Also for our Blake Walston fan.

Woo hoo! Yeah, I've never laid eyes on this kid but the profile descriptions all seem very worthwhile to add. Though now he's ranked often ahead of Jack Leiter so he'll either drop a lot and go to NC State or really be a lot of money.

23 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Via BA draft chat today.

Also, mock tomorrow.

I am very pro Abrams, but it is really hard to read such confident projections on his bat and not get excited.

I'm actually a bit surprised they said Bryant and Vaughn's power was about equal as I'd have guessed they'd score Bryants higher.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I expect lots of college pitching. It's not weak throughout it's just weak early on. There aren't many top of the rotation types. You can find backend starters and relievers though. 

Gotcha...I’m fine with what they did last year, but would love a couple pre bats in rounds 1 & 2 assuming Adley doesn’t fall.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic