2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I honestly change my mind daily on whether I want Abrams or Vaughn. 

Haha. I think a few of us do that. I'm guilty. Hard not to when you read such glowing assessments of the hit tool, power, strike zone prowess and proximity to the bigs.

27 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Haha. I think a few of us do that. I'm guilty. Hard not to when you read such glowing assessments of the hit tool, power, strike zone prowess and proximity to the bigs.

For sure. I just had a conversation with a buddy of mine about how we need to take a chance on a guy like Abrams because all we’ve done is take the safe player the last few years. Now I think I’m pro-Vaughn. 

30 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

For sure. I just had a conversation with a buddy of mine about how we need to take a chance on a guy like Abrams because all we’ve done is take the safe player the last few years. Now I think I’m pro-Vaughn. 

The Sox could have taken a chance last year with a high school kid like Kelenic, Gorman, or Liberatore, but played it safe with Madrigal. Last year was the time to roll the dice and go high upside with a high schooler. 

Vaughn has put up elite numbers at the plate in college. Kris Bryant and Big Hurt type numbers. Abrams is lightning fast and is a good athlete. The jury is still out on whether or not he is a good baseball player. 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

I am as well. Kinda just hoping Witt or Adley fall. 

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I don't follow the draft as much as many of you do so I will never gripe about the selection . From reading much of the thread. I'm not sold on Vaughn probably just because he's a 1st baseman. Like many we hope  Rutschman falls but that's highly unlikely.

I know the whole BPA available argument but who really knows who that is.? Sure you can combine a lot of different things to say who is the LIKELY BPA but it's still educated guesswork. I'd have no problem with Abrams or Witt or even Bleday, Greene or Bishop. Kind like the idea of getting some more left handers in the system. Some of the best teams have a lot of good hitting lefties and the Sox have very few. I know I know BPA never for need. I just think lefties offer more upside just by being left handed.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't follow the draft as much as many of you do so I will never gripe about the selection . From reading much of the thread. I'm not sold on Vaughn probably just because he's a 1st baseman. Like many we hope  Rutschman falls but that's highly unlikely.

I know the whole BPA available argument but who really knows who that is.? Sure you can combine a lot of different things to say who is the LIKELY BPA but it's still educated guesswork. I'd have no problem with Abrams or Witt or even Bleday, Greene or Bishop. Kind like the idea of getting some more left handers in the system. Some of the best teams have a lot of good hitting lefties and the Sox have very few. I know I know BPA never for need. I just think lefties offer more upside just by being left handed.

+++++++ THANK YOU

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

+++++++ THANK YOU

LOL You're welcome. I just can;t help but look at a guy like Bellinger. Very athletic, can play just about anywhere I'm sure, so good with the glove. He learned some hard lessons in the playoffs  made adjustments and now he gets to hit off a bunch of right handers after the adjustments and is out og his mid good now.

Yelich is another guy that not many people thought could get as good as he is. I also think that as a lefty facing righties if you have good plate discipline it's better and easier to keep that plate discipline facing guys you can see the ball better against.

New Mayo mock.

Who will go first in the 2019 MLB Draft? Nearly all scouting directors not picking No. 1 overall believe that Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman is the obvious best choice for the pick. And most believe he will end up being taken by Baltimore.

But there’s still an alternative narrative: that it’s not a slam dunk, with some thinking Cal first baseman Andrew Vaughn will end up in the top spot. One scouting director even mused that new Orioles general manager Mike Elias could repeat what he did with the Astros in 2012 (when they took Carlos Correa) and take prep shortstop Bobby Witt Jr.

One thing we know for certain is that Elias keeps things close to the vest, so we might not know for sure until Commissioner Rob Manfred announces it on June 3.

There is a general consensus about who the top six, and perhaps even the first seven or eight, names called on Draft night will be, and the top six are all hitters. But the order could go in any number of directions. Here’s one of those potential scenarios:

1. Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State

There simply isn’t enough intel to make a switch just yet. Rutschman is having an absolutely dominant junior season and is the top player on nearly every Draft board.

2. Royals: Bobby Witt Jr., SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS

The only reason to change this would be if the Orioles took Witt instead, leaving Kansas City its pick of the top college hitters should it choose to go in that direction.

3. White Sox: CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity Catholic HS (Roswell, Ga.)

Assuming Rutschman and Witt go 1-2, this could end up being an internal debate between the toolsy, high-upside up-the-middle player in Abrams and the advanced college hitter in Vaughn.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-mock-draft-on-may-23?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Edited by DirtySox

8 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Is Vaughn really that safe though? If he doesn’t rake, he’s essentially useless. I’d actually consider him a riskier pick. 

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Drey Jameson got knocked around a bit by Northern IL.  No bueno

4 ER in 6 IP with 10 K. Certainly not great, but nothing to be worried about, especially with the 10Ks. He has now set a Ball State single-season K record previously held by Bryan Bullington, the former #1 overall pick of the 2002 MLB draft. 146 Ks in 91 IP. That puts him #2 in the nation. 

Oops. I was asleep. Here's the top 10.

1.) BAL - Adley Rutschman

Oregon State C

Notes:

We’re not going to spend too much time explaining this one, as Rutschman is still the top talent in the class and the overwhelming favorite to go with this pick. He’s already rocking black and orange pretty well.

2.) KC - Bobby Witt Jr.

Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS SS

Notes:

Like the preceding pick, Witt Jr. is the favorite here at No. 2. The Royals like Witt enough that even if Rutschman somehow falls, they’d have to think long and hard about their choice.

3.) CWS - CJ Abrams

Blessed Trinity (Roswell, Ga.) HS SS

Notes:

Abrams' name continues to be most common with the White Sox at No. 3, giving them back-to-back shortstops at the top of the draft, although Abrams has a much different profile than 2018 first-round pick Nick Madrigal.

4.)  MIA - J.J. Bleday

Vanderbilt OF

Notes:

Bleday could be in the mix a spot higher given how well he’s closed out the season, but the Marlins were rolling deep during Vanderbilt’s game against Auburn in the SEC Tournament, when he went 5-for-5 with a pair of doubles. It's worth noting that Marlins brass, again headlined by Derek Jeter, also watched Hunter Bishop on Thursday night.

5.) DET - Andrew Vaughn

California 1B

Notes:

It sounds like Detroit really likes Riley Greene, but in this situation it would be hard to pass up Vaughn. Like Greene, Vaughn is a bat-first prospect with weaker supplemental tools, but his bat is much more proven and possesses much more impact potential. Getting Vaughn here could give the organization another fast-moving, impact prospect to go along with 2018 No. 1 overall pick Casey Mize.

6.) SD - Riley Greene

Hagerty (Oviedo, Fla.) HS OF

Notes:

Most sources we talk to think that Greene is in the group of six players already mentioned that will be off the board first, in some order.

7.) CIN - Nick Lodolo

Texas Christian LHP

Notes:

While the top six players have been established for some time now, Lodolo has finished the season strong—to the point that some include him with the top tier of players and don’t think there’s a chance he’s available when the Rangers are on the clock with the No. 8 pick. The Reds have been tied to Lodolo for a while now and would be happy to take him here, although if one of the six hitters in front happens to fall, they’d likely go that route instead. If Lodolo goes here, it will set a draft record. The latest the first pitcher off the board has been drafted is sixth overall, when the Blue Jays selected Ricky Romero with that pick in 2005.

8.) TEX - Jackson Rutledge

San Jacinto (Texas) JC RHP

Notes:

Rumors continue to swirl that Texas is looking for an underslot deal here. Perhaps they can make that happen with Rutledge, who would become the highest drafted JuCo pitcher this century. The deal might not be too sweet though, as teams from this range through 14 sound heavily interested in the 6-foot-8 flamethrower. The success that Nate Pearson is having after being drafted out of JC of Central Florida in the first round in 2017 could give teams more confidence in Rutledge. They share some similarities as big, hard-throwing righthanders who went to Division I programs before transferring to junior colleges and seeing their draft stock explode.

9.) AT: - Hunter Bishop

Arizona State OF

Notes:

This might be the ideal scenario for Atlanta, who has been tied to Hunter Bishop throughout the spring. The Braves are also in on Rutledge and have scouted prep outfielder Corbin Carroll heavily, though this is probably the high mark for Carroll at this point. In Bishop, the Braves would get one of the toolsiest college players in the class, and while his strikeout rate might be a concern, his power and upside make him worth any risk that comes with his less-than-ideal track record.

10.) SF - Bryson Stott

Nevada-Las Vegas SS

Notes:

Things start to open up more here, but the Giants sound interested in Stott, West Virginia righthander Alek Manoah and the top prep pitcher in the class, Matthew Allan.

Edited by DirtySox

The recent Baseball America Mock Draft is exactly where my obviously unqualified ranking sits: Rutschman, Witt Jr., Abrams, Bleday and Vaughn.   

Vaughn had another good day, yesterday and it's obvious that he continues to be pitched around. He was 2 for 2 with 5 walks. That's what I said; "5 walks".  He is indeed probably the best hitter in this Draft and I could care less about him being only 5' 11". I just can't rank a right handed, first baseman, at the top of the Draft. For those who would quickly assert that Frank Thomas was a right handed first baseman, my reply is that Andrew Vaughn is almost certainly not going to be another Frank Thomas. In fact, few players have, or will have, careers like the Big Hurt. It's just that a great hitting, right handed first baseman is not that hard to find and does not represent a comparable value to a team, that a middle infielder, catcher, top of the rotation starter, or centerfielder does.

Yea keep loading up on those 1B/DH types Hostetler.. (for the record I'm not gung ho about Vaughn so I'm biased with my assessment there). 

I'm not big on Abrams like I am Witt,  but I hope they do take the high school kid and get the weaker lower levels in pur system stronger. I also want to see if this organization has really "changed" as far as them developing players like they claim. Well.. develop the uber talented raw kid and prove everyone wrong. 

32 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Oops. I was asleep. Here's the top 10.

Ok I just signed up for a few months of BA again. I always end up talking myself into it. You will no longer bear the burden.

To reiterate something I suggested, in a previous post; maybe they need to add some ranking component that reflects "value". When trying to determine the "best player available," it would be helpful if there were some quantifiable factor, such as cost of acquiring a comparable established player in free agency, or similarly, what his expected trade value would be, if he reached his potential. If Vaughn became as good of a hitter as our Jose Abreu, what would we have? I love Jose, but some here have argued that he has had very little trade value, precisely because his profile is of a slow footed, right handed hitting first baseman, albeit a very good hitter. If Vaughn produced like Abreu has, and that is likely a best case scenario, would we be similarly assessing his value, at some point?

21 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I’m in same boat.  Agonizing on decision between Abrams and Vaughn.  Makes it tough that our division rivals pick at 2 and 5 so we could see Abrams or Vaughn playing against us.  I still think it is Vaughn, but today I want Abrams.  

13 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

Is Vaughn really that safe though? If he doesn’t rake, he’s essentially useless. I’d actually consider him a riskier pick. 

I agree with this train of thought. 

However, if the Sox took Vaughn I couldn't blame them. 

Vaughn, Abrams, Bleday, Lodolo, Bishop, Greene if they took any of them I couldn't complain. After Adley this is kind of a meh draft. Witt is more interesting than the other guys in that list but I'm almost positive he's going to KC. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic