2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

A faster DJ LeMahieu is what I've been saying since the draft. In his prime that's about 30+ doubles, 5+ 3B, 25+ SB, about 10 HR with gold glove defense and a .310+ average. Probably about a 3-4 WAR guy.

A friend of mine said this that I completely  agreed with, but I could live with a faster Placido Polanco. It's not the best case scenario, but I could live with it. 

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wrist. Injuries. Destroy. Hitters.

The Sox knew that when they drafted him. He'll absolutely fully recover but wrist injuries can destroy your swing for over a year.

Bingo. Luis Robert struggled with that last season. 

45 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ichiro hit the ball a long way in BP but Ichiro did not play with power at all so it really didn't benefit him. 

it could have if he chose to. He just didnt use the upper cut swi g in games to increase HRs while decreasing OBP and average. it was a choice. Madrigal doesn't have the power available.

• Like 1

I like how people are saying Vaughn is being punished for past draft picks by Sox but aren’t applying the same concept to Abrams, who is getting punished because people are still upset about Courtney Hawkins.

Abrams is also punished because many people in these threads just fall in love with comps, and comps are stupid.

• Like 4

Why does no one talk about Bobby Witt the same way they do about Abrams? Abrams has the better hit tool than Witt and projects to stay up the middle.

Witt would be a project just like Hawkins, Abrams and other athletic prep players. There’s one difference that I can think of. 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Why does no one talk about Bobby Witt the same way they do about Abrams? Abrams has the better hit tool than Witt and projects to stay up the middle.

Witt would be a project just like Hawkins, Abrams and other athletic prep players. There’s one difference that I can think of. 

It’s simply that few expect him to be there.

I think pretty much everyone rates Witt above Abrams, myself included (Abrams fan #1)

Edit: I severely misread this.

You are discounting Witts excellent defense, mature approach, physical skills and current power. It’s a beautiful baseball package. Hawkins was just power, both in hitting and throwing. 

6 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Witt is far more polished a player and is a lock to stay at SS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Because Witt Jr is a definite SS. He has much more power than Abrams too. 

20 hours ago, fathom said:

I get the character strengths, but it doesn’t mean much to me if a player’s team won in college, etc.  Oregon St. was loaded as you obviously know.  You can have all the character in the world, but it doesn’t mean you can easily add 15 pounds of muscle on a frame that might not be able to support it. 

Those are fair points. I took exception to you saying: Madrigal’s winning mentality is going to help him hit with more power supposedly.

That's fucking bullshit, man. Nobody said that. Talk about taking things out of context. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ptatc said:

the issue is that those players had power, they just sacrificed home runs for a  higher average, OBP and fewer strikeouts.  The still hit the ball with power in the field if play.

Ichiro had some of the best power in the league. During the All star game I saw him hit the scoreboard over the concourse in right field. I is still the longest HR I have ever seen at that stadium in 18 years as a season ticket holder. 

I just think that is not true.  Rod Carew, in 1971-72 had 1200 at bats and TWO home runs.  Ichiro in 2010-2011 played 323 games had 1350 at bats and 11 home runs.  Surely you aren't suggesting that Carew and Ichiro in those 2500+ at bats  didn't have hundreds of times where a home run would have helped win a game but they chose not to because they didn't want to unleash their hidden power. The two players had a combined 38 years in the majors and five seasons of hitting 10 or more home run and neither player in 38 seasons hit more than 15 in a year.  They were great great players but they weren't power hitters.  That is Madrigal's path.  

21 minutes ago, BaseballNick said:

What are the odds Hostetler is eyeing up Bleday over Vaughn and how much weight do you put into SEC vs PAC12? OF vs 1B/DH? LHH vs RHH? Just wondering what your opinions are. 

Reasonable possibility. I'd call it 40%. I'd say 50% he's eyeing up Abrams. Interestingly, I flipped on Vandy S. Miss yesterday and the guy who impresed me the most was Grae Kessinger, Don's grandson. Haven't heard him mentioned among top prospects but he is a polished SS and appears to be an excellent hitter. Hit a couple of seeds while I was tuned in. 

I like Kessinger too.  He'll make a nice utility type player.  That Ole Miss team has some interesting guys.  Cooper Johnson is the best defensive catcher in the draft (his bat is light) and 1B Thomas Dillard has as much raw power as anyone.  Ryan Olenek will be a Sr sign as an OF and someone might give him a look on the mound.  Illinois has their hands full in that regional.  

12 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Nice try dude...

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic