2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

What are the chances Tommy Hunter from Michigan is available for the Sox in the third round? I'd like him for purely homer reasons and he actually fits the White Sox profile of recent drafts, but I wouldn't be too excited about him in the second round from an actual prospect standpoint.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That's good but KW very rarely drafted best player available and was constantly trying to feed mlb depth through the draft so I have to wonder how invested the org is in it.

He said that was KW's philosophy. Maybe it's changed since he was the GM.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He said that was KW's philosophy. Maybe it's changed since he was the GM.

I mean... when did the Sox ever draft based on need? The fact that their version of the best player available actually sucked and wasn't that doesn't mean that wasn't the philosophy ha. 

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean... when did the Sox ever draft based on need? The fact that their version of the best player available actually sucked and wasn't that doesn't mean that wasn't the philosophy ha. 

Burdi?

• Like 1

I am skeptical.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/adley-rutschman-is-the-best-mlb-draft-prospect-since-bryce-harper/

Rutschman’s Oregon State teammates don’t take him for granted, and neither does Yeskie.

“I joke with guys from time to time,” he said. “If you’re (age) 8 to 80 and you live within earshot of Oregon State, you know Adley. Kids love him, grandmas love him. He personifies what’s good in college athletics and life in general.”

Rutschman said he looks up to Albert Pujols, Mike Trout and Russell Wilson because of how they play the game and how they carry themselves on and off the field. If he even comes close to reaching his lofty potential in pro ball, he figures to make a similar impact on the game and in the city where he plays. Fans have seen it in Corvallis. Soon they’ll see it in the big leagues.

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

In the comments section, Josh Nelson seems to imply that the person Hostetler and Kiley are referring to could be Rutschman.

https://www.soxmachine.com/2019/05/28/white-sox-mock-draft-roundup-two-names-at-no-3/

I hope we glean something from Kiley's next update. He said he had to ask his managing editor how to write it up.

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Seemed like it was a high school kid from what he was implying - he talked about going to a game, and having heard bad things about his relationship with his teammates possibly. Then they saw him the entire time and not a single teammate talked to him or high fived him or anything like that. He was a hermit in his own dugout and the Sox said they will pay on him for that reason. Would love to know who they were talking about. 

Doesn’t that almost leave it between Witt or Abrams?

What would it take for Baltimore to take Vaughn?  If Vaughn thought he would slip to 5 or 6, would he be more likely to strike a major under slot deal? 

And if that’s the case, would it benefit the Sox to show a lot of interest in Abrams, even if they preferred Vaughn, in the hopes that it would increase the chances of Vaughn going #1 and Rutschman dropping to them?

Does this make any sense? If not, I’ll show myself out and shut up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would it take for Baltimore to take Vaughn?  If Vaughn thought he would slip to 5 or 6, would he be more likely to strike a major under slot deal? 

And if that’s the case, would it benefit the Sox to show a lot of interest in Abrams, even if they preferred Vaughn, in the hopes that it would increase the chances of Vaughn going #1 and Rutschman dropping to them?

Does this make any sense? If not, I’ll show myself out and shut up. 

Anything’s possible, and I definitely think that goes on.  But it’s hard to imagine it’s easy to deke the team picking first, who can select any player in the world.  

I feel like the last few years we’ve been sending out some deceptive coverages only to always fall back into zone.  And everyone knows we play zone

Keith Law made an update to the Orioles part of his mock draft

1. Baltimore Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State I've said this before, but I'll repeat it: This isn't a lock. Rutschman is the consensus No. 1 prospect in the class, but I have heard from multiple sources that the Orioles will at least explore other options, notably Andrew Vaughn, to strike the best possible deal, since they pick again at 42, 71 and 79. UPDATE: The Orioles could also consider JJ Bleday at this pick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Keith Law made an update to the Orioles part of his mock draft

1. Baltimore Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State I've said this before, but I'll repeat it: This isn't a lock. Rutschman is the consensus No. 1 prospect in the class, but I have heard from multiple sources that the Orioles will at least explore other options, notably Andrew Vaughn, to strike the best possible deal, since they pick again at 42, 71 and 79. UPDATE: The Orioles could also consider JJ Bleday at this pick.

Wow. Bleday eh? That'd certainly be some savings.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic