2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

We will most definitely know that KW is back in charge of the White Sox drafting if the Sox select Abrams and this Hampton kid. 

Kenny loves those football players.. 

9 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

How many football players have the Cubs and Astros drafted recently? 

This is such a lazy take. Abrams is the second best prep bat with very good bat to ball skills by all accounts. 

Not every black kid who runs well is a 'Football player'  and Adley Rutschman is a football player, btw

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm gonna take a different tack with this one - this is the time the White Sox should draft for need.

By almost all accounts, Abrams and Vaughn grade similarly, with Abrams playing a more useful position but Vaughn being several years ahead of him. Right now, once a couple guys graduate, the White Sox's system looks barren, and they have a whole lot of holes on the big league roster. RF, 2b, 1b, DH, 1-2 starting pitching slots, entire bullpen, bench. They've already proven they will not spend with the big teams to fill any of these roles and aside from the 2 guys they will not trade they have little of value on the trade market, which means that we're going to be looking at mid-level FA guys next year to fill most of these roles. 

Given that 1b/DH is a current need, even if Abreu is brought back, and how this franchise has conducted itself, there should be a priority on finding another piece who can contribute ASAP. This can and should be done at the expense of guys who might be really good in 3-4 years.

If you grade these guys similarly, a guy who could replace Anderson in 3-4 years is far less valuable to this franchise than a guy who plays 1b and puts up an Abreu-like 110 wRC+ in 2020 and 2021. 

This is just 100% wrong.  Sox have Abreu, Collins, Burger, Eloy, Sheets that all can be at 1B in the short future.  Abrams plays a premier position and is a great athlete that he can move to CF if he doesn't pan out at SS.  I think the only college guy that they'll truly consider at 3 is Adley if he somehow falls.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm gonna take a different tack with this one - this is the time the White Sox should draft for need.

By almost all accounts, Abrams and Vaughn grade similarly, with Abrams playing a more useful position but Vaughn being several years ahead of him. Right now, once a couple guys graduate, the White Sox's system looks barren, and they have a whole lot of holes on the big league roster. RF, 2b, 1b, DH, 1-2 starting pitching slots, entire bullpen, bench. They've already proven they will not spend with the big teams to fill any of these roles and aside from the 2 guys they will not trade they have little of value on the trade market, which means that we're going to be looking at mid-level FA guys next year to fill most of these roles. 

Given that 1b/DH is a current need, even if Abreu is brought back, and how this franchise has conducted itself, there should be a priority on finding another piece who can contribute ASAP. This can and should be done at the expense of guys who might be really good in 3-4 years.

If you grade these guys similarly, a guy who could replace Anderson in 3-4 years is far less valuable to this franchise than a guy who plays 1b and puts up an Abreu-like 110 wRC+ in 2020 and 2021. 

Or he could just, like, play the position we need.

Kelenic is already gonna meet Madrigal in A+. Making decisions on the assumption that the college player will make it faster than the high schooler is insane. Carter Kieboom made it to the big leagues before both Collins and Burdi.

I have to believe at this point the sox scouting dept doesn't see them similarly, they rank abrams as potentially better. Now, they probably are working with a player dev group that won't know how to tap into power, but that's hard to factor into scouting.

1 minute ago, GGajewski18 said:

This is just 100% wrong.  Sox have Abreu, Collins, Burger, Eloy, Sheets that all can be at 1B in the short future.  Abrams plays a premier position and is a great athlete that he can move to CF if he doesn't pan out at SS.  I think the only college guy that they'll truly consider at 3 is Adley if he somehow falls.  

Bingo. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

This is such a lazy take. Abrams is the second best prep bat with very good bat to ball skills by all accounts. 

Not every black kid who runs well is a 'Football player'  and Adley Rutschman is a football player, btw

He's talking about Maurice Hampton, but, regardless there aren't that many elite two sport athletes each year. This year there are JErrion Ealy and Hampton, and maybe some that played football that aren't mentioned. 

Last year it was Murray and Adams. Both were selected in first two rounds, we know what happened with Murray.

So yeah, more than the freakin sox like super athletic people that are so good they can play D1 ball IN TWO SPORTS

2 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

1 of those guys is not under contract in 2020, 2 of those guys are unlikely to be big leaguers, 2 of those guys are position switches that open up another hole on the roster. That's one disappointing set of replies. 

Anyway, said my bit. Even if Abrams is really good, we don't have enough in this org to create a big league roster strong enough to hang with the powerhouses right now, and one more piece that is ready now at a position of need would be a big help.

13 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

How many football players have the Cubs and Astros drafted recently? 

The Cubs drafted Kyle Schwarber and Jacob Hannaman. I'm sure there are others.    I'd have to look up the Astros but I'm sure they have some too.  News flash.  Athletes play multiple sports.

Who drafted Kyler Murray and Jordyn Adams last year?

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's talking about Maurice Hampton, but, regardless there aren't that many elite two sport athletes each year. This year there are JErrion Ealy and Hampton, and maybe some that played football that aren't mentioned. 

Last year it was Murray and Adams. Both were selected in first two rounds, we know what happened with Murray.

So yeah, more than the freakin sox like super athletic people that are so good they can play D1 ball IN TWO SPORTS

Ah well they were lumped together so I jumped to a conclusion.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the Sox have drafted, what, 2 notable football/baseball guys? One of which was a huge prospect for a while.

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes Jack, if he doesn't perform it's a bad pick but if he does it's a good one.

He's the safest pick in the draft; there is risk tied to every draft pick in baseball, but Vaughn is about as safe as it gets. 

I understand your argument - 2 tool guys have more risk than 5 tool guys in turns of being complete busts - but you just don't get where Vaughn is without being about as can't miss of a hitter as you'll find. Vaughn could roll out of bed tomorrow and hit 25-30 hr's and 250 in the big leagues tomorrow. His ceiling is the best hitter in baseball. You just shouldn't pass on that. 

I agree with you after watching the White Sox game after game and seeing guys that just do not look like they know what they r doing, it would be a pleasure to see vaughn.

1 minute ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I agree with you after watching the White Sox game after game and seeing guys that just do not look like they know what they r doing, it would be a pleasure to see vaughn.

This is always a good discussion. The high end athlete who could become a start or the polished college hitter. I don't know enough about either, myself, but they are always fun discussions.

Just now, mqr said:

Ah well they were lumped together so I jumped to a conclusion.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the Sox have drafted, what, 2 notable football/baseball guys?

Joe Borchard, Josh Fields, Jared Mitchell that I can remember.

2 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Who doesn't look like they know what they're doing?  Those guys you are watching will probably not be part of the future.  

Anderson, Eloy, Moncada, Giolito, Abreu (IMO), Lopez know what they are doing.  

I am sure this has been opined to here several times, but if the Orioles or Royals make a surprise pick and Rutschmann or Witt fall to the Sox, the expectation is the Sox would take whichever of those guys fell, correct? 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I am sure this has been opined to here several times, but if the Orioles or Royals make a surprise pick and Rutschmann or Witt fall to the Sox, the expectation is the Sox would take whichever of those guys fell, correct? 

Yes. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Absolutely. 

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Abreu's career wRC+ is 133 and he has never put up a wRC+ of 110 or worse over a full season. Not sure if that's what you were going for, or if you're just projecting what you think he'll be at in a couple years

6 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Who doesn't look like they know what they're doing?  Those guys you are watching will probably not be part of the future.  

Anderson, Eloy, Moncada, Giolito, Abreu (IMO), Lopez know what they are doing.  

Rodon, sanchez, engel, cordell, delmonico, castillo, alonso, zavala, palka, I know they will not be part of the future the same people who choose them r choosing the future players.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would rather have Abrams than Witt. Witt's age concerns me when compared to Abrams. Abrams a more talented kid. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would rather have Abrams than Witt. Witt's age concerns me when compared to Abrams. Abrams a more talented kid. 

Really?  1 year?  If Witt or Adley is available at 3 with Abrams.  I guarantee the Sox are taking Witt/Adley.  

9 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Rodon, sanchez, engel, cordell, delmonico, castillo, alonso, zavala, palka, I know they will not be part of the future the same people who choose them r choosing the future players.

Zevala has played like 2 games and was a 13th round pick. That's actually a great success for the scouting staff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

It's not even a year. It's actually only 4 months haha

Yea they're about 3 and a half months in age difference (3 months on draft day in fact). No idea what Ray Run is talking about.

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic