2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Abreu's career wRC+ is 133 and he has never put up a wRC+ of 110 or worse over a full season. Not sure if that's what you were going for, or if you're just projecting what you think he'll be at in a couple years

114 last year and 112 right now. I picked that number because 1 page ago people were saying how much more valuable Abrams would be putting up a 110 wRC+ than if Vaughn did that at 1b - not a prediction on Abreu, that's just what he's been for 2 seasons, and an extra bat like that in our order would be a huge help right now. 

36 minutes ago, bmags said:
43 minutes ago, mqr said:

This is such a lazy take. Abrams is the second best prep bat with very good bat to ball skills by all accounts. 

Not every black kid who runs well is a 'Football player'  and Adley Rutschman is a football player, btw

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's talking about Maurice Hampton, but, regardless there aren't that many elite two sport athletes each year. This year there are JErrion Ealy and Hampton, and maybe some that played football that aren't mentioned. 

Last year it was Murray and Adams. Both were selected in first two rounds, we know what happened with Murray.

So yeah, more than the freakin sox like super athletic people that are so good they can play D1 ball IN TWO SPORTS

Jeez dude. I was talking about Hampton. 

KW loves his football players and the White Sox draft history under him proves that. 

The question that keeps popping up in my head is whether or not Abrams is talented enough to overcome the White Sox's extremely questionable minor league development department. 

Can anyone name the last high school position prospect that the KW/Hahn regime has developed? (And no, Tim Anderson doesn't count) 

5 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

The question that keeps popping up in my head is whether or not Abrams is talented enough to overcome the White Sox's extremely questionable minor league development department. 

Can anyone name the last high school position prospect that the KW/Hahn regime has developed? (And no, Tim Anderson doesn't count) 

They haven't fucking drafted any.

Literally the most raw, athletic player they drafted recently is on a potential all star season at short stop.

The most polished, sure thing they drafted last year is already struggling.

If you are worried that high schoolers cannot overcome our player development, then you should be so thrilled with their draft philosophy the last 5 years. Why aren't you thrilled?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Literally the most raw, athletic player they drafted recently is on a potential all star season at short stop.

If you are worried that high schoolers cannot overcome our player development, then you should be so thrilled with their draft philosophy the last 5 years. Why aren't you thrilled?

I'm concerned that anyone other than supremely talented players can overcome the Sox player development system. If I am a College player and get drafted by the Sox I go back for my Senior year. If I'm a HS player and get drafted by the Sox I go to college. I wish this would happen so it would get management to wake up 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

According to the twitter machine the Sox had Rece Hinds at their workout today.  

Man I'm here for this new "pro tools" draft philosophy.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm concerned that anyone other than supremely talented players can overcome the Sox player development system. If I am a College player and get drafted by the Sox I go back for my Senior year. If I'm a HS player and get drafted by the Sox I go to college. I wish this would happen so it would get management to wake up 

you should try to convince the college junior to give up millions to go to college because the white sox disappointed us.

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

you should try to convince the college junior to give up millions to go to college because the white sox disappointed us.

I'd argue that it is best for their long term success in baseball to avoid the Sox system. They have a better chance of making the majors with the other 29 teams. That said, I know it is unlikely to happen. Maybe if it did with HS players it would help. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Rece Hinds scouting report via BA for you folks. Scary hit tool obviously.

Notes:

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 210 | B-T: R-R 
Commit/Drafted: Louisiana State 
Scouting Report: If you’re looking for the most power potential in the 2019 class, Hinds might be your guy. With a muscular, 6-foot-4, 210-pound frame, Hinds packs a tremendous punch with a mechanically smooth righthanded swing. He easily has 70-grade raw power currently, and you don’t have to look far to find scouts who will put 80-grade power on Hinds’ bat. Additionally, he has plus-plus arm strength from the left side of the infield and threw 98 mph across the diamond at Perfect Game’s National Showcase last summer. If a team is looking for massive tools and upside, Hinds would be a pretty good place to start. While he would not look out of place in a major league uniform right now, Hinds would get exposed against professional pitching quickly. He currently lacks overall polish to his game, and he showed plenty of swing-and-miss throughout the summer showcase circuit and into the spring. While his plus bat speed allows him to time up premium velocity, Hinds regularly gets fooled on even average offspeed offerings and will often chase pitches out of the zone. Defensively, Hinds has played shortstop for IMG Academy, but he already looks too big for the position and should start out at third base at the next level. His arm strength should be an asset at the hot corner, or even in right field if he has to eventually move to an outfield corner. To stay on the infield, he’ll need to improve both his hands and his throwing accuracy—particularly when his feet aren’t set. Teams will be split on Hinds this June because of his questionable hit tool, but there’s no denying the jaw-dropping power he displays in batting practice. Whichever team drafts him will need to be patient as he makes the necessary adjustments and figures out how to stay disciplined at the plate to punish offspeed pitches, but there could be a massive payoff down the road. Hinds is committed to Louisiana State.

58 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would rather have Abrams than Witt. Witt's age concerns me when compared to Abrams. Abrams a more talented kid. 

All of the "experts" say that Witt is the better choice because of the power potential.

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

According to the twitter machine the Sox had Rece Hinds at their workout today.  

This place is going to burn to the ground if the Sox take him.

37 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Why would Tim Anderson count? He was a JUCO guy?

I have more tolerance for swing and miss in high school, particularly with a 2nd round pick.

For example, this was the write-up on Jo Addell:

Adell has the best all-around tools in the 2017 Draft, and his physical gifts have drawn comparisons to Byron Buxton and Melvin Upton Jr. Both of those players were drafted No. 2 overall, but Adell won't go nearly that high because of persistent concerns about his bat. Though he won the home run derby at the Area Code Games, he struggled at the plate for much of the summer showcase circuit, and he hasn't eased many worries this spring despite leading the nation's high school players with 25 homers and winning Gatorade's Kentucky player of the year award.

Adell's electric bat speed gives him huge raw power from the right side of the plate, but his propensity to swing and miss leads to questions about how much he'll be able to translate that pop into production. He has trouble catching up to average fastballs at times and must learn to recognize breaking pitches. A tremendous athlete who already has a big league body, he has well above-average speed and is a quality center fielder who usually has a plus arm (though it has been sore at times this spring).

Though he'll almost certainly get drafted as a position player, Adell is intriguing on the mound as well. He has reached as high as 97 mph with his fastball and can also spin a hammer curveball. He has committed to stay at home with Louisville if he attends college.

You just never know. If it's swing and miss with electric bat speed it's more tolerable than someone who they don't believe can catch up to fastballs.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

The only HS player I can remember them drafting recently is Bryce Bush somewhere in the 30's for a round, if i remember correctly.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have more tolerance for swing and miss in high school, particularly with a 2nd round pick.

For example, this was the write-up on Jo Addell:

Adell has the best all-around tools in the 2017 Draft, and his physical gifts have drawn comparisons to Byron Buxton and Melvin Upton Jr. Both of those players were drafted No. 2 overall, but Adell won't go nearly that high because of persistent concerns about his bat. Though he won the home run derby at the Area Code Games, he struggled at the plate for much of the summer showcase circuit, and he hasn't eased many worries this spring despite leading the nation's high school players with 25 homers and winning Gatorade's Kentucky player of the year award.

Adell's electric bat speed gives him huge raw power from the right side of the plate, but his propensity to swing and miss leads to questions about how much he'll be able to translate that pop into production. He has trouble catching up to average fastballs at times and must learn to recognize breaking pitches. A tremendous athlete who already has a big league body, he has well above-average speed and is a quality center fielder who usually has a plus arm (though it has been sore at times this spring).

Though he'll almost certainly get drafted as a position player, Adell is intriguing on the mound as well. He has reached as high as 97 mph with his fastball and can also spin a hammer curveball. He has committed to stay at home with Louisville if he attends college.

You just never know. If it's swing and miss with electric bat speed it's more tolerable than someone who they don't believe can catch up to fastballs.

It really depends on how the hitter is swinging and missing.  If he's missing pitches in the strike zone that's a big problem because it shows a lack of hand eye coordination or bat speed.  If he's swinging at missing at pitches out of the strike zone it could be because of a lack of pitch recognition which can be improved with reps.  Adell and Witt's swing and miss was greatly exaggerated.  Unfortunately I don't think this is the case with Hinds.  He's gonna need lots of reps.  

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The only HS player I can remember them drafting recently is Bryce Bush somewhere in the 30's for a round, if i remember correctly.

2018:

4th - Lency Delgado 

7th Cabera Weaver

11th - Kevin Maldanado

33rd - Bush 

8th - Sam Abbott

6th - Luis Curbelo

4th - Corey Zangari

15th - Chris Comito

2nd - Spencer Adams

10th - Jake Jarvis

2nd - Tyler Danish

5th - Thad Lowry

7th - Trey M

With the exception of 2013 and 2014, there has been very little investment in high schoolers.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It really depends on how the hitter is swinging and missing.  If he's missing pitches in the strike zone that's a big problem because it shows a lack of hand eye coordination or bat speed.  If he's swinging at missing at pitches out of the strike zone it could be because of a lack of pitch recognition which can be improved with reps.  Adell and Witt's swing and miss was greatly exaggerated.  Unfortunately I don't think this is the case with Hinds.  He's gonna need lots of reps.  

Maybe it's just getting them tyler flowers goggles though

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Just to be clear, you think Hinds is still in the latter category (lack of pitch recognition) but is far behind where Adell and Witt are/were, so not likely to be flying through the minors like them, correct?

I also thought Adell was hit a bit because of geography. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic