2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Vaughn's college numbers are almost as good as The Big Hurt's and Kris Bryant. The dude has a can't miss bat. 

I could see the Sox trading Abrams down the line if he puts up those type of numbers in A+. He could be a nice starting piece in a trade for a TOR arm. 

Yes, this gets to the jist of it.  Abrams value to the White Sox down the line will probably be as a trade chip to bring in a pitcher.  Vaughn's likeliest scenario is as the White Sox starting first baseman.  An Abrams trade could really help the Sox at some point, but I'd rather they take the guy who will one day be on the team.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m going to go on record in saying I strongly prefer Vaughn over Abrams. I’ve been penciling Vaughn into the 2021 Sox lineup for months now. He’d look great at the top of the order with Madrigal, Moncada, Robert, and Jimenez.

Madrigal

Robert

Moncada

Jimenez

Vaughn

f*** me that looks really good

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Madrigal

Robert

Moncada

Jimenez

Vaughn

f*** me that looks really good

I don’t think offense will be an issue for this team moving forward. Pitching is the only thing holding them back but hopefully the emergence of Giolito and strong performances in the future from Kopech and Cease alleviates a few of those concerns. 

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t think offense will be an issue for this team moving forward. Pitching is the only thing holding them back but hopefully the emergence of Giolito and strong performances in the future from Kopech and Cease alleviates a few of those concerns. 

Kopech

Giolito

Cease

Rodon

Quintana

:)

Frank Thomas was probably a 99% percentile outcome for Frank Thomas.

Assigning essentially 1.000 OPS outcomes as Vaughns floor is ridiculous.

Exclusively for Vaughn we are supposed to assign their absolute max with certainty and go off of that? It's not that easy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Exclusively for Vaughn we are supposed to assign their absolute max with certainty and go off of that? It's not that easy.

No Frank Thomas was the 50 percentile outcome. His ceiling was ascending from his human form. 

• Haha 2

KLaw said on Buster’s podcast today that he had someone tell him it’s 60/40 the Orioles take Vaughn. He then said KC is taking Witt.  Sox would take Adley but it Adley is gone, he’s not confident in his pick of Vaughn. He heard Abrams is loved by KW who is very involved this year. He also thought Abrams is a reach at 3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

KLaw said on Buster’s podcast today that he had someone tell him it’s 60/40 the Orioles take Vaughn. He then said KC is taking Witt.  Sox would take Adley but it Adley is gone, he’s not confident in his pick of Vaughn. He heard Abrams is loved by KW who is very involved this year. He also thought Abrams is a reach at 3.

Oh my, I'm beginning to work myself into a lather

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I hope they take Vaughn, getting Adley Rutschman in this organization would be huge. Maybe it would even improve Madrigal's play.

Edited by Dam8610

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Keep KW away from the draft room! He has already ruined enough Sox drafts! 

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure anyone is stating that Vaughn's floor is a 1000 OPS. 

His floor is around an 850 OPS imo, but I am high on Vaughn and a big believer in his outcomes. I've never seen college production like this with the new bats.

Here are the #3 picks in the mlb draft from the last 15 years

• 2018=Alec Bohm- Third basemen-College
  • 2017-Mackenzie Gore-Pitcher-High School
  • 2016-Ian Anderson-Pitcher-High School
  • 2015-Brendan Rodgers-SS-High School
  • 2014-Carlos Rodon-P-College
  • 2013-Jon Gray-Pitcher-College
  • 2012-Mike Zunino-Catcher-College
  • 2011-Trevor Bauer-Pitcher-UCLA
  • 2010-Manny Machado-SS-High School
  • 2009-Donovan Tate-OF- High School
  • 2008-Eric Hosmer-1B-College
  • 2007 -Josh Vitters-3rd-High School
  • 2006-Evan Longoria-3rd-College
  • 2005-Jeff Clement-C- College
  • 2004-Phil Humber-P-College

As you could predict the results are a mixed bag. Still too early to judge the 2015-2018 picks. 8 college guys, 7 high school guys. 

The Sox could draft the next Machado or Longoria or they could end up with a Josh Vitters or Phil Humber. 

Edited by OneDog847

1 minute ago, joejoedairy said:

all right, assuming Adley is gone, put Ray and Harold in the octagon and the winner determines who the sox draft. 

Only way to settle it

LMAO. 

If Adley and Witt go 1 and 2 then the Sox will take Abrams. From all reports KW is absolutely in love with Abrams and KW probably has the final call. 

alex: Callis said that Witt is the best SS draft prospect since ARod. Other folks have said Adley R. is the best prospect since Harper. Which is more offbase? I know you would pick Adley R. #1 (and I hope the Os do the same since going underslot may not work with the D-Backs and all their picks).

Keith Law: I don’t agree with either assessment – too many questions about Witt’s hit tool, definitely would put a few guys between Adley and Harper (Cole comes to mind, Buxton had absolutely elite tools). I have no issue with the O’s taking Vaughn, which I’ve heard a few times they are seriously considering, to go over slot at 42/71. There are enough good, tough-sign high school arms in this draft to make that work – especially since teams have a decent idea who other teams are on (e.g., we keep hearing that Arizona is on certain HS arms like Priester and Goss).

Steve: Let’s say the O’s cut a deal with Bleday and Witt goes 2, do the White Sox go Vaughn or Rutschman? How much money would Bleday have to save GM KLaw for you to pass on Vaughn/Rutschman there?

Keith Law: I think White Sox would absolutely take Rutschman, but I hear directly conflicting stories on whether they would take Vaughn (what I put in my mock) or Abrams (which I believe Jim Callis & Jonathan Mayo had in their mocks). I keep hearing Kenny Williams is very involved in their draft room, which I don’t exactly understand, and that he favors Abrams. The last time the White Sox had a top ten pick and used it on a high school position player was … 1985.

Eddy: What am I missing on Brennan Malone not being higher? Lot of athleticism, velocity, good breaking ball and changeup seems positive. Is he not higher simply because he’s a high school RHP or is there another concern?

Keith Law: HS RHP with good breaking ball, velocity but not life or high spin, not super projectable. I think he’s in the right spot.

Mark: I really do not think there is any reasonable argument to be made for not extending the netting in MLB parks. If it saves 1 life or prevents 1 traumatic injury it is worth it. Where do you think Rutchman, Vaughn, Witt, etc., rank compared to your preseason top 100 minor leaguers?

Keith Law: Rutschman and Vaughn would be top 25 prospects, the next tier (including Witt) might not be top 50. We’ve had a lot of graduations already this year, though, so if I redid a top 100 next Wednesday it would look very different than January’s.

Jake: Do you see Witt Jr. as a no doubt SS or could he be moved around the diamond based on his athleticism? CF?

Keith Law: He’s a shortstop, that’s no doubt.

Will R.: Keith, per your recent mock draft it looks like you have Chicago kid Quinn Preister slipping a bit. His draft stock take a hit lately due to performance?

Keith Law: Not at all. Just that the industry doesn’t love HS RHP.

Jordan: Will JJ Bleday be an above average regular in the MLB?

Keith Law: I think so. He might have the strongest hands/wrists in the draft. Even with that hitch in his swing, he can drive the ball to all fields like it’s nothing.

Andrew: Is there precedent/comp to J.J. Bleday’s swing? You mentioned he looks like he’s swinging an axe in your top 100 big board which scares me and that was enough for me to put Hunter Bishop ahead of him.

Keith Law: Hunter Pence’s hitch was worse, as I recall it from when he first came up.
Keith Law: He worked out OK.

Chris P: Where does Leiter need to be taken to pry him away from Vandy? I’m assuming he’s not good enough to go top 15, so he’s off to school.

Keith Law: The consistent rumor is that he’d sign with the Yanks or Mets but no one else. What that might cost, I don’t know. I don’t even know if that’s accurate, but I keep hearing it.

Mike: How big of a mistake/reach would it be in your opinion if the White Sox take Abrams?

Keith Law: Since Vaughn will be on the board in that scenario, then yes, it’s a significant mistake. And I don’t say that very often in the draft. They’d just be passing on a much better player to take someone who is very risky, and their history with players like Abrams (prep kids with a couple of plus-plus tools but questions about their ability to hit) isn’t as good as it is with college players.

Pat: Have you heard any concerns about Rutschman’s shoulder? I’ve read that he had to stop playing quarterback in HS as a result, but I don’t know if that’s a nothingburger or not. Do teams have access to medicals before the draft?

Keith Law: I’ve heard that there is a medical report on him teams will see, but whether it’s a real issue, I don’t know and likely wouldn’t say unless folks like Callis/Mayo discuss it first (since they’re affiliated with MLB). I am very uncomfortable discussing non-public medical reports prior to the draft.

Jack: How quickly does Rutschman reach the majors?

Keith Law: He should be up by the end of 2020.

Edited by DirtySox

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

KLaw chat has it 50/50 for Orioles taking Adley. Sorry was waiting for DirtySox to put them in a post

So it went from 60-40 vaughn to 50-50 Adley, since presumably the other 50 isn't exclusively Vaughn. I wonder if its negotiation tactics or what.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So it went from 60-40 vaughn to 50-50 Adley, since presumably the other 50 isn't exclusively Vaughn. I wonder if its negotiation tactics or what.

Also anyone think it’s strange that Abrams has become this year’s Brady Singer?

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m going to go on record in saying I strongly prefer Vaughn over Abrams. I’ve been penciling Vaughn into the 2021 Sox lineup for months now. He’d look great at the top of the order with Madrigal, Moncada, Robert, and Jimenez.

I am with you all the way

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic