2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

On 5/29/2019 at 5:56 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Trejyn Fletcher. If Fletcher had grew up in Florida and played baseball year round, he'd have a chance of being a top 5 pick. He's had limited reps, limited people have seen him, and his hit tool is a bit raw... but his tools, yeesh.

6.6 60, 93 mph fb, 95 mph ev, 81 mph bat speed, 90 mph from the outfield. Huge power. Great elite athlete and he reclassed to 2019 and is young.

They just asked hostetler about how many states he visited this year for scouting... he said almost all of them.. we even went to Thornton Maine to see a high school game. So he went to see Fletcher. 

What I wonder is if fletcher was the one with the shit attitude they were passing on, or if they like him so much they sent hostetler personally and may be looking at him in the 3rdish.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Lol. Hostetler mentioned going to Portland Maine in today's interview during the White Sox game. That's where Trejyn Fletcher plays, who a few folks have mentioned recently.

Beat me to it. Yeah, I heard that and now I wonder if they came out of it good - kid is a monster. He even said it was an interesting one. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They just asked hostetler about how many states he visited this year for scouting... he said almost all of them.. we even went to Thornton Maine to see a high school game. So he went to see Fletcher. 

What I wonder is if fletcher was the one with the shit attitude they were passing on, or if they like him so much they sent hostetler personally and may be looking at him in the 3rdish.

Where did it come out there was someone with a bad attitude? I  thought the story was from a few seasons ago.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Beat me to it. Yeah, I heard that and now I wonder if they came out of it good - kid is a monster. He even said it was an interesting one. 

Good call on him. I certainly would be okay with said pick.

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Good call on him. I certainly would be okay with said pick.

If you look at video of his swing in 2016 on YouTube and the one from this past season and at showcases the changes are pretty nuts. His numbers two years ago at PG were average and then last year they were off the charts. Incredible athlete, quick swing with huge power. 

Edit: this guy doesnt know what to do with his hands while he talks. 

Edit 2: a little more on the kid 

Traditional stats also show this: In 31 at-bats against top-500 talent, he hit .538 with two home runs and a .613 on-base percentage.

“He just can kind of do it all,” Sabers said. “He’s got the five-tool potential.”

Despite the talent and apparent readiness of Fletcher, Sabers speculated he wouldn’t be picked as high if he is in the 2019 draft as he would in 2020. Scouts would have to “scramble” to get inventory of his abilities as Fletcher tries to prove he’s better than some top 2019 talent.

“Quite a few other (2019) position prospects, just at the high school level, have kind of established themselves with scouts,” Sabers said. “To jump ahead of those guys would be a little tough at this point.”

Sabers thinks he could be an early-round pick in 2019.

If Fletcher were to be in the 2020 draft, though, Sabers thinks a big summer could boost him to the top half of the first round.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

44 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Lol. Hostetler mentioned going to Portland Maine in today's interview during the White Sox game. That's where Trejyn Fletcher plays, who a few folks have mentioned recently.

Would love a Fletcher pick if we can get him in the third or later. Check out his swing numbers, 99th percentile for all of them.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=460960

This might be one of those cases of teams just not having enough info to feel comfortable with him and that causing him to go lower than he should.

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Would love a Fletcher pick if we can get him in the third or later. Check out his swing numbers, 99th percentile for all of them.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=460960

This might be one of those cases of teams just not having enough info to feel comfortable with him and that causing him to go lower than he should.

He had a monster summer and then reclassed late. He was PG's #1 junior in the country following the summer and before his reclass.

So scouts didn't have a lot of time to see him or scout him.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Completely off the rails here, but if you haven't been to Portland, it is cool as heck.  Nice little 2 hour flight, really cool vibe, so great food, a neat little city.

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Some misconceptions in here IMO. 

Ken Williams has always been involved. He's the EVP of the organization. 

NIck Hostetler loves high school players. He learned under John Schuerholtz. 

Yeah, the "If Kenny is involved" talk is insane.  The dude is the highest ranking baseball guy in the organization.  Of course he is involved. 

5 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, the "If Kenny is involved" talk is insane.  The dude is the highest ranking baseball guy in the organization.  Of course he is involved. 

It’s just one dude that keeps posting about it over and over so it seems like multiple people

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Callis mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-on-may-31?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

1. Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State

Baltimore won't tip its hand, but other clubs don't believe it will look away from a guy who would be the best prospect taken No. 1 overall since Bryce Harper in 2010. If the Orioles go in a different direction, it would snag another top talent in Witt or California first baseman Andrew Vaughn rather than seeking a deep discount.

2. Royals: Bobby Witt Jr., SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS

Witt to Kansas City continues to seem like a bit more of a certainty than Rutschman to the Orioles. This would make Witt and his father Bobby Sr. (No. 3 overall in 1985) the highest-drafted father-son duo ever, surpassing the Grieves (Tom, No. 6 in 1966; Ben, No. 2 in 1994).

3. White Sox: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California

This pick will dictate what happens at Nos. 5 and 6. If Chicago opts for a college bat for the fourth straight year in Vaughn, then Hagerty HS (Oviedo, Fla.) outfielder Riley Greene lands with Detroit and Blessed Trinity Catholic HS (Roswell, Ga.) shortstop CJ Abrams winds up with San Diego. If the White Sox scratch their itch for an up-the-middle athlete with Abrams, then Vaughn goes to the Tigers and Greene to the Padres.

Edited by DirtySox

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Callis had an interesting point on the pipeline podcast last night in regards to the rumors of Rutschman falling because of a supposed shoulder injury. The point was basically that even if there is a shoulder injury and suddenly he becomes a below average arm, he still should probably go #1 because he has the hit/power combo with plus receiving in an era where players don't really steal as much anyway. 

I have to say, as much as I like Abrams, it seems like outside of the top 2 which everyone seems to agree on, nobody aside from the white sox would have him 3rd. 

Marlins seem like its Bleday or Vaughn over Abrams

Tigers like Vaughn, Greene over Abrams

Padres, according to this mock, like Greene over Abrams.

Greene's bat is really impressive, and that profile with kiriloff recently and kelenic seems to make it more interesting, but I don't know if that's just relying on comps.

Really hard. What happens if Abrams goes to the JD Martinez Swing doctor and gets an elevated swing overnight? Did we pass up on an 80 speed, 65 power guy that plays short stop? 

But sox don't seem to be able to get bats to play up, or arms recently. Really unsure how to match up the sox poor player dev with a 3 overall pick, where you'd hope the player can just tool through it.

Hostetler seems to enjoy being secretive so much I really doubt he'd drop that Maine hint, which is so obvious, if the sox felt they were higher on him than other teams and he was a priority.

He'd be a very exciting 3rd round pick. This board does a really good job of picking out the interesting guys before the draft and honestly the hit rate is better on the board picks than we'd expect.

RIP Jakson REETZ

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I have to say, as much as I like Abrams, it seems like outside of the top 2 which everyone seems to agree on, nobody aside from the white sox would have him 3rd. 

Marlins seem like its Bleday or Vaughn over Abrams

Tigers like Vaughn, Greene over Abrams

Padres, according to this mock, like Greene over Abrams.

Greene's bat is really impressive, and that profile with kiriloff recently and kelenic seems to make it more interesting, but I don't know if that's just relying on comps.

Really hard. What happens if Abrams goes to the JD Martinez Swing doctor and gets an elevated swing overnight? Did we pass up on an 80 speed, 65 power guy that plays short stop? 

But sox don't seem to be able to get bats to play up, or arms recently. Really unsure how to match up the sox poor player dev with a 3 overall pick, where you'd hope the player can just tool through it.

Interesting in same article when discussing the 7th pick it says Reds would pass inbox Abrams if he fell that far.  Seems others teams not as high in him. For today I want Vaughn.  

I like Bleday a lot.  Think he's going to be a really really good ball player. That said, I think almost everyone the Sox have on their board I like.  Most all of the guys can make an impact on both sides of the ball, with the lone exception being Vaughn and in his case, that hit tool is special so I get it if they go with them. For once in a long time, I literally don't think they can go wrong with who they pick.  

• Like 1

fangraphs basically rated Vaughn's bat about equal to Eloy's. Considering the hype Eloy has come with even while defensively challenged, I don't see why adding another bat of that calibur to the line up is anything but a positive even if he can only play 1B. Paulie could only play 1B. Big Hurt could only play 1B. If the bat is legit, pick him and don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Callis had an interesting point on the pipeline podcast last night in regards to the rumors of Rutschman falling because of a supposed shoulder injury. The point was basically that even if there is a shoulder injury and suddenly he becomes a below average arm, he still should probably go #1 because he has the hit/power combo with plus receiving in an era where players don't really steal as much anyway. 

Yeah, that makes sense, but the Orioles... ... ...

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic